The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KrK10s or Yamaha HS10w?
Old 30th March 2012
KrK10s or Yamaha HS10w?

Im looking to purchase a subwoofer for my home studio and need some opinions.

Im using the Yamaha HS50m right now and love them, i just need to hear the bottom end of my mixes a little more. I have heard mixed reviews on both subs and am always looking for good opinions on gear.

Another option might be to buy the HS80s and hold off on the subwoofer if i dont need it with the HS80s.

What do you guys think?

-Tom
Old 30th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasRJordan View Post
Another option might be to buy the HS80s and hold off on the subwoofer if i dont need it with the HS80s.

What do you guys think?

-Tom
I'm interested in this too. I listened to the HS50s in a store the other day and thought they sounded great compared to my KRK rockit5s. The main problem I have with the KRKs is that they have literally no bass, and just don't translate mixes at all. How do the HS80s go with this? Are they as clear and balanced as the HS50s sounded (to me) but with a more accurate representation of the lows? Because if that's the case I'm sold...
Old 31st March 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximo View Post
I'm interested in this too. I listened to the HS50s in a store the other day and thought they sounded great compared to my KRK rockit5s. The main problem I have with the KRKs is that they have literally no bass, and just don't translate mixes at all. How do the HS80s go with this? Are they as clear and balanced as the HS50s sounded (to me) but with a more accurate representation of the lows? Because if that's the case I'm sold...
I Think the HS50s are alot Clearer and overall better then the krk rokit 5s in my opinion. But im in the same boat as you, I want to know if the HS80s are as clear and accurate as the HS50s but maybe with better bass response?

I listened to the krk10s sub today and think it has as overall better tone then the Yamaha sub. The yamaha sounds very punchy for some reason to me. So im just curious if i should just go with the 80s instead of a sub? or just keep the 50s and maybe add the krk sub to go along with them?
Old 31st March 2012
Any ideas anybody?
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

There are a ton of topics on this, search search search!

All that I have read on the 80s is that they sound worse than the 50s because they are extremely bass heavy. I was going to purchase these a while ago but ended up with NS10ms and couldnt be happier.
Old 1st April 2012
Gear Maniac

I'll jump in for a sec!

I recently went to Guitar Center looking for a 10 inch Subwoofer for my setup. I looked online and saw the prices for both. I listened to both models and I liked The KRK better. The sound of The KRK was more detailed than The Yamaha. The Yamaha is 120 watts and The KRK is 150 watts. The KRK has the port at the bottom and The Yamaha has the port in the center. For me, having the port at the bottom (especially when the sub is slightly above my feet on the bottom shelf of my computer stand) works for me. Also, The KRK already has a pad at the bottom of it whereas The Yammy is on "stands." I'm not saying it's a hinderance regarding the sound...it's only some things to be aware of. For me I didn't feel or hear the bass in The Yammy like I did The KRK. I also bought a footpedal bypass switch (which the KRK already has the jack in the back to plug up the pedal but I can't speak for The Yammy) so I can bypass the sub to check my mixes.

Can studio monitors (especially 8 inch) be tweaked to provide bass? Sure...especially the new KRK ones that are the 3 way monitors with a 10 inch woofer. However, having a sub and making everything match your space (calibration, volume, etc) makes it sooo much easier to actually hear the bass correctly as I recently found out.

This is all just my opinion. I'm a noob but The KRK works for me with my situation and setup. Your mileage will vary. Your best bet would be to go somewhere where you can listen to both. That way you can make more of a conscious decision and see which will work for you.

Peace

Seventh
Old 1st April 2012
i really appreciate all of your feedback guys!

I have been doing alot of research on this topic, and it seems like most people perfer the 50s with a sub over the 80s. People are saying the 50s with the sub are better for more accurate mixing and have more accurate bass response then just the 80's alone.

I actually got to listen to both the yamaha and the krk10s subs today and im really liking the krk! I really think the krk sub will help me hear those low frequencies im missing from the 50s!
Old 2nd April 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasRJordan View Post
i really appreciate all of your feedback guys!

I have been doing alot of research on this topic, and it seems like most people perfer the 50s with a sub over the 80s. People are saying the 50s with the sub are better for more accurate mixing and have more accurate bass response then just the 80's alone.

I actually got to listen to both the yamaha and the krk10s subs today and im really liking the krk! I really think the krk sub will help me hear those low frequencies im missing from the 50s!

You're welcome, Thomas! GS (along with some other sites as well) has and still is helping me make great decisions. I'm loving my KRK Sub. I thought I was gonna need a 12 or 15 inch sub but the 10 works well for my area.

Now once I get a new house with my own dedicated studio room that'll be a whole different story then!

For now, here's a pic!

Seventh
Attached Thumbnails
KrK10s or Yamaha HS10w?-iron-pen-productions-studio-pic-iii.jpg  
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear Head

Yammys. The Rokits have a nice amount of bass, but all the tops and mids sound muddy.
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

HS10's

I have a pair of Yamaha HS80M's. I do not currently use a subwoofer, but I am considering adding one. Reason being that, if you have any kind of good bass patches at all (including real electric bass guitar), you will have frequencies on your mix that are lower than the HS80's go, but not by much.
The HS80's are the industry go-to monitors now, they are nearly absolutely perfect in their flat response across the audio spectrum. They do not color or add or take away from anything in your mix.
Regarding the comment that they are too bassy, this could be true, depending on how you have your monitors arranged in your control room, how your room is treated, etc. If you have to have them close to a wall (like most of us do), there are bass rolloff controls on the back of each speack. You can roll off 2 db on the low end for starters, which is how I operate mine. This compensates for room backtalk, standing waves, and resonance at low frequencies that you don't want. You can roll the bass off more if you wish.
The krk subwoofer is good, but it does color the bass end quite a bit, which is why one may think they sound better than the HS10. In reality, what you are hearing are additions to your recorded mix at the low end. If you are trying to mix or master, this will really fool you, and your final product may sound thin on regular stereos. If you are trying to create the best demo's or finished product, this is exactly what you don't want. Put the Krk's in your living room instead and turn up the volume.
In short, the HS80's, with your control room tweaked (I use corner bass traps, which are cheap, and lots of wall treatment with foam squares), in addition to rolling off the bass on the HS80's 2 db - you will have the most realistic and true monitors available at any price that also sound great.
📝 Reply