The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
so, if all you guys hate the MBox
Old 1st June 2006
I think for the money you can't beat the Presonus Firepod. Check it out! http://www.americanmusical.com/item-...brand-201.html
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I know it's new and the drivers will need some work, but my money is on the Konnekt 24 from TC Electronic with its onboard DSP that drives Reverb and a Compression EQ mix channel with up to I think 24 instances inside a DAW all driven by the Konnect 24.
I could be wrong, but my reading of the product page is that it's exactly ONE instance each of the EQ and Reverb.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Smile OK

Can you track all your music in M Box and then, go to a super studio to mix right ? Still the best good option for pro tools users yet?
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by No4PCs
Can you track all your music in M Box and then, go to a super studio to mix right ? Still the best good option for pro tools users yet?
Yup. I record my music at home, bring the semi-finished instrumental to a pro studio with my vocalist simply to track vocals (a couple hour session usually works) then take that ProTools session file and bring it back home to edit, mix-down, and master the final. The results are definitely "pro" quality. I just picked up the MBox 2 and for the money, it is great simply for the ProTools software. The AD/DA isn't good, but for tracking house/trance music, it works just fine with some good recording techniques. I do alot of my work "in the box" anyway so using the MBox 2 just to access ProTools works perfectly for my little studio.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Strictly as a matter of Pro Tools in-the-box resolution and quality ... yes.

From a more practical, overall music/sound quality standpoint ... no.

We find that a lot of bands have the idea that they can track stuff in their practice space or home studio, and then bring it to professionals for mixing. Well over 90 percent of the time, this is a horrible idea.

Having an mBox doesn't mean you have the quality of room, equipment or recording skills to do your tracking right. The quickest way to a bad mix is mediocre tracking, and the quickest way to a great mix is great tracking.

Bad tracking can't be saved in the mix, and at any good studio, the best asset isn't the Pro Tools HD setup -- it's the acoustics and the professional engineers. And in that kind of environment, the music should end up better, too, because there's less frustration and impatience as time gets wasted.

We strongly urge bands to try to find the budget to at least track drums, vocals and any non-electric instruments at our studio, then do electric instruments, editing and comping at home.

We love to do the final mix, too, but there are an increasing number of professional producer-slash-mix-engineers who can do a very fine job out of their home studio, and I wouldn't say that's a bad idea -- assuming the mix engineer is highly competent. Although you do lose resolution outside the TDM realm.

JSL

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search