The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ribbon mics, is there a break in period?
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Ribbon mics, is there a break in period?

Have any of you noticed your ribbon mics change their sound in anyway after using them/it half a dozen times, dozen times, longer? I think my shiny box ribbon changed a little bit in the low mids/upper bass, seems like there is 1dB less there then when I first used it, but maybe I am dreaming.
Old 19th May 2006
Jai guru deva om

Have you been using it on very loud sources?

You may have stretched the ribbon a bit.

Hmm...

War
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I heard a big difference in a pair of ribbons after close miking drums with them, and again on different pair after a year of heavy use in a studio I like to record in. They can stretch. Have you been using them close for voice, electric guitar, or kick drum?

Worst case, return to the manufacturer for QC / re-evaluation.

Jim
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Nope just vocals. And most of that was 1-2 feet away with a pop filter of course. And hay I think it sounds better now, so I ain't gonna complain. But like I said maybe I am dreaming.
Old 19th May 2006
Jai guru deva om

Everything's probably fine.

War
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR
Nope just vocals. And most of that was 1-2 feet away with a pop filter of course. And hay I think it sounds better now, so I ain't gonna complain. But like I said maybe I am dreaming.
you are not dreaming. ribbons "sweeten."

that is, they are attached at the ends at the factory. as they are presented with sound waves and vibration, they "give" a little. then they "float" better (as they are "looser") when presented with air waves.

if you hit them hard enough they will tire and perhaps get "soggy." then they need to be tightened. simple enough. if they get loosened too far they will get "caught" by the magnets, and "crap out," or they will tear -- not a good thing.

ribbon mics definitely sweeten, and it is usually a good thing. enjoy and don't worry.

best,
rlnyc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search