The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mics in front of cabs when not recording
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

mics in front of cabs when not recording

I have an SM 57 sitting in from of my 5150 cab for when I record, but I just leave it there all the time. Does that cut down on the life of the mic if I leave it when just practicing too?
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Shouldn't hurt it. I've heard others recommend covering mics that are left up to protect against dust though.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

There were amps like the Legend Super Lead that had SM57 capsules built in, and they certainly were getting the full brunt of the speaker all the time.

And on top of that, I've never heard of a 57 that 'went bad' from use. If it was a condenser or a ribbon that was more delicate, I could see it, but a 57? I doubt it. In fact, I'm gonna say that most dynamics aren't gonna care either way.

There's probably a better chance of something happening to it from taking it down and putting it back up when you're gonna track something.

Also, if it's a new mic, there's a break-in period where it sounds better after a couple months of use.
Old 20th May 2006
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
There's probably a better chance of something happening to it from taking it down and putting it back up when you're gonna track something.
True, and I've seen a pouch that contained 3 57's get run over by a car going about 35 mph. All of the mics worked exactly the same as before, and only one of them suffered road rash.

You could drop these mics from a couple of stories up and I doubt anything would happen unless the plastic top made first contact.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

As long as it's not a ribbon mic, which should be stored in their full upright position to prevent sagging of the ribbon element, you should be fine. If you notice a lot of dust in the area, you can put a plastic/ziploc bag over the mic on the stand, get enough dust caked on a diaphragm and it'll start to sound a little ratty.
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Head

The only thing I've ever seen really mess up an SM-57 is lipstick. If you have a female vocalist, I recommend using a mic with a metal windscreen, and you should wash it with deterrgent regularly, otherwise BLEAH!
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Head

Lipstick! I'll never forget the night following Angelina at club 88. Had to sing into the side of the mic. The front hemisphere's mesh was completely caked with pink lipstick. Not conducive to working the mic. I considered spinning off the grille during the performance.

Back on topic, I use bags over my condensors but leave dynamics uncovered. I do this because electrified condensor mics act as a dust magnet where dynamics don't. My pair of 414EBs has been over a drum kit for 20 years and still sounds wonderful when used on acoustic instruments. Don't think the drums have hurt them a bit.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog
I have an SM 57 sitting in from of my 5150 cab for when I record, but I just leave it there all the time. Does that cut down on the life of the mic if I leave it when just practicing too?
what a scary thought. What if mics were like the filter cartridges in your Pur pitcher and they had a little gauge on them that told you when they were used up and had to be thrown away?

I have heard about engineers who insist on a "fresh" 57 for an important session, but I suspect if there is anything to it, it's about the "knocks" the older mics have taken, not the amount of sound they have been exposed to.
Old 22nd May 2006
mds
Lives for gear

I think you could build a house using a 57 as the hammer and it'd still work when you were done...
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

By the way, don't leave ribbons around or on the floor, because the strong magnet will collect small magnetic dust, iron, rust, whatever... and that will not make the mic any better over the years.
Will a SM57 suffer from overuse? That would be a nice science project: try to wreck a cheap dynamic in many ways....hahaha! (and post some photos, movies, whatever)
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans
By the way, don't leave ribbons around or on the floor, because the strong magnet will collect small magnetic dust, iron, rust, whatever... and that will not make the mic any better over the years.
Will a SM57 suffer from overuse? That would be a nice science project: try to wreck a cheap dynamic in many ways....hahaha! (and post some photos, movies, whatever)
Time to find an iso booth we can tie up for months/years, grab a Marshall Major, a cab to handle it, and I think we'd be off an running. That'd be a cool office pool to get in on. heh
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq

I have heard about engineers who insist on a "fresh" 57 for an important session, but I suspect if there is anything to it, it's about the "knocks" the older mics have taken, not the amount of sound they have been exposed to.
A lot of speakers need a little breaking in when they're new (especially if they're Tannoys), and I'd bet some microphones are the same way.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
A lot of speakers need a little breaking in when they're new (especially if they're Tannoys), and I'd bet some microphones are the same way.

hmmm I've got some tricks that I use to break in new blue jeans....
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

OT, but a few years ago, I got an SFX CD from a company called RIOT-ACT (http://www.riot-act.com/slowdeathbyvise.htm)
It was a collection of mics and speakers being wrecked and recorded.
SM57 up against a grinder while it was plugged in ( and recording) till the cap was gone...stuff like that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search