The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EVENT ASP 8 (vs. KRK´s etc...) Studio Monitors
Old 18th May 2006
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

EVENT ASP 8 (vs. KRK´s etc...)

Hello, any experience/opinions? Are they better than for example KRK V8II´s? Thank you very much!
Old 19th May 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 

switched from krk's

they are harsh in the mids and high mids and just not true to me... But the events are great to mix on, completely different than the krk's but better.
Old 19th May 2006
  #3
Lives for gear
 
kingofswing's Avatar
The KRK V8's orginals sounded better than the mk2 from memory. The new ones sound tinny and lack depth.

The ASP8's sound much better and reveal a more full range sound in comparison to the KRK V8 Mk2's. It takes just one listen to notice that difference.
Old 19th May 2006
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Oldone's Avatar
Punchy rock, KRK.

Classical, Jazz, Pop, Country, then ASP8s.
Old 19th May 2006
  #5
Gear Addict
 
JohnRodd's Avatar
 

Firstly.. “truth in advertising” - I endorse the Event SP8’s - but they don’t pay me any money ..... they just stick my photo in ads in audio magazines....

My honest opinion? When I was shopping around for near field monitors I spent about six months carefully comparing many, many different pairs of speakers..... (tho not KRK’s) from passive to active - from Finnish to Canadian to American to British ..... from $1,000 pair to $5,000 + + a pair....... in a world class control room (The 20th Century Fox Newman scoring stage, where I used to be on staff before I went freelance) in a very carefully calibrated manner. I would listen to a very wide range of music - as that is what I work on - a very wide range of music.

.... and I ended up finding the best overall compromise to be the Event Studio Precision 8’s

note I used the word “compromise” - I’m the first to say that there isn’t a perfect speaker (or mic, or reverb, DAW, or tape machine, or anything!) EVERYTHING IS FLAWED. It is up to you to find the best set of compromises for you.

Anyway. I digress. I use the Event SP8’s and I’ve been happy with how my mixes have translated to tv, to the big screen, to CD, to video game consoles.... and so have my clients. Everything from techno/electronica to string quartets to huge orchestras to hybrid film scores.... the works. They are also manageable for me to cart around to different recording and mixing studios. There are certainly better speakers out there, (and worse ones too)....... but in my experience, you won’t find a better set of powered speakers for approx $1,300 a pair, (or a bit less if you shop around) and in that size of enclosure. More expensive mid-field speakers (and some custom installed soffit mounted setups) can do things that nearfields cant - but a much greater cost.

And - for what it is worth - a good number of my composer clients and other industry pals ended up buying Event SP8’s for their own studios after hearing mine at my studio. And no - they didn’t get a deal thru me. They payed full retail.

Be sure that when you are comparing speakers - make sure the volumes are exactly matched. or else you’ll prefer the louder speaker - even if it is ‘worse’.

Also - make sure your listening environment is acoustically treated!

Good luck with your quest

John
Old 19th May 2006
  #6


Havent listened to the events. but for the KRK's the V6 sounds better than the V8 (series II).





-tINY

Old 19th May 2006
  #7
I sold my V8's and bought the Event Precision 8's.. I dig the Event more.

V
Old 19th May 2006
  #8
Lives for gear
 
pingu's Avatar
 

Ive got Events.

Had some probs with em though.


Great speakers.
Old 19th May 2006
  #9
Lives for gear
 
pingu's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRodd
Firstly.. “truth in advertising” - I endorse the Event SP8’s - but they don’t pay me any money ..... they just stick my photo in ads in audio magazines....

My honest opinion? When I was shopping around for near field monitors I spent about six months carefully comparing many, many different pairs of speakers..... (tho not KRK’s) from passive to active - from Finnish to Canadian to American to British ..... from $1,000 pair to $5,000 + + a pair....... in a world class control room (The 20th Century Fox Newman scoring stage, where I used to be on staff before I went freelance) in a very carefully calibrated manner. I would listen to a very wide range of music - as that is what I work on - a very wide range of music.

.... and I ended up finding the best overall compromise to be the Event Studio Precision 8’s

note I used the word “compromise” - I’m the first to say that there isn’t a perfect speaker (or mic, or reverb, DAW, or tape machine, or anything!) EVERYTHING IS FLAWED. It is up to you to find the best set of compromises for you.

Anyway. I digress. I use the Event SP8’s and I’ve been happy with how my mixes have translated to tv, to the big screen, to CD, to video game consoles.... and so have my clients. Everything from techno/electronica to string quartets to huge orchestras to hybrid film scores.... the works. They are also manageable for me to cart around to different recording and mixing studios. There are certainly better speakers out there, (and worse ones too)....... but in my experience, you won’t find a better set of powered speakers for approx $1,300 a pair, (or a bit less if you shop around) and in that size of enclosure. More expensive mid-field speakers (and some custom installed soffit mounted setups) can do things that nearfields cant - but a much greater cost.

And - for what it is worth - a good number of my composer clients and other industry pals ended up buying Event SP8’s for their own studios after hearing mine at my studio. And no - they didn’t get a deal thru me. They payed full retail.

Be sure that when you are comparing speakers - make sure the volumes are exactly matched. or else you’ll prefer the louder speaker - even if it is ‘worse’.

Also - make sure your listening environment is acoustically treated!

Good luck with your quest

John

Thanks for that.


Could you please tell me how far away you think you should be from the Events to use them to their full potential.
Old 19th May 2006
  #10


Depends on your room.




-tINY

Old 19th May 2006
  #11
Gear Addict
 

You should A/B the Events against the ADAM A7's. They're around the same price point.
Old 19th May 2006
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

I´m only afraid of one thing: some of my musician friends told me that they have very bad experiences with Events (not ASP 8 but for example 20/20)... So I´m balancing... But for that price they MUST BE good, I think
Old 20th May 2006
  #14
Gear Nut
 
MacMike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRodd
Firstly.. “truth in advertising” - I endorse the Event SP8’s - but they don’t pay me any money ..... they just stick my photo in ads in audio magazines....

My honest opinion? When I was shopping around for near field monitors I spent about six months carefully comparing many, many different pairs of speakers..... (tho not KRK’s) from passive to active - from Finnish to Canadian to American to British ..... from $1,000 pair to $5,000 + + a pair....... in a world class control room (The 20th Century Fox Newman scoring stage, where I used to be on staff before I went freelance) in a very carefully calibrated manner. I would listen to a very wide range of music - as that is what I work on - a very wide range of music.

.... and I ended up finding the best overall compromise to be the Event Studio Precision 8’s

note I used the word “compromise” - I’m the first to say that there isn’t a perfect speaker (or mic, or reverb, DAW, or tape machine, or anything!) EVERYTHING IS FLAWED. It is up to you to find the best set of compromises for you.

Anyway. I digress. I use the Event SP8’s and I’ve been happy with how my mixes have translated to tv, to the big screen, to CD, to video game consoles.... and so have my clients. Everything from techno/electronica to string quartets to huge orchestras to hybrid film scores.... the works. They are also manageable for me to cart around to different recording and mixing studios. There are certainly better speakers out there, (and worse ones too)....... but in my experience, you won’t find a better set of powered speakers for approx $1,300 a pair, (or a bit less if you shop around) and in that size of enclosure. More expensive mid-field speakers (and some custom installed soffit mounted setups) can do things that nearfields cant - but a much greater cost.

And - for what it is worth - a good number of my composer clients and other industry pals ended up buying Event SP8’s for their own studios after hearing mine at my studio. And no - they didn’t get a deal thru me. They payed full retail.

Be sure that when you are comparing speakers - make sure the volumes are exactly matched. or else you’ll prefer the louder speaker - even if it is ‘worse’.

Also - make sure your listening environment is acoustically treated!

Good luck with your quest

John


I definitely agree with John...

I have done a similar test as John, comparing a LOT of speakers and I ended up with the Event ASP8. For me it was hard cause through the years I have NOT liked the Events, for ex 20/20 etc...and now I am buying a pair from that company. So for me, the ASP8 is in another range than the other models they have. It's balanced and deliver IMO a great value for the money, it is often I listen to my favorite CD's and discover stuff that I have not heard before...the mid is great and reveal a lot of stuff you dont hear in other speakers. Dont forget that your room has to be acoustical treated (as John also said), and dont place your speaker in a corner or so...THEN you will get great sound and be able to get great mixes that sounds nice, at least thats what I get with my ASP8's ;-)

But of course, you have to listen yourself and decide what you want, and what you need...your ears could hear something else than what I'm hearing

I can say that you wont go wrong with the Event ASP8 as a nearfield monitor, it's not a main monitor, and that's important to have in mind, main monitors cost a lot more money and can often play louder and in some way "better", but as a nearfield monitor I think it's one of the best active speaker you can buy right now.

Good luck!
/Mike
Old 21st May 2006
  #15
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegfried
Hello, any experience/opinions? Are they better than for example KRK V8II´s? Thank you very much!
Events are a little more open and detailed, V8's cost 300 dollars less for a pair. Either one will get the job done, both are usable.
Old 21st May 2006
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Dont spend more than a grand for the events!
Old 21st May 2006
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Oldone's Avatar
There is a guy in Santa Barbara that sells these regularly on ebay for $850 new. That's where I got mine.
Old 21st May 2006
  #18
Gear Nut
 

I'm glad this thread came up. I was fixing to buy the KRK V6 in the coming month. I'm more of a jazz/orchestral guy, so thanks for the Event tips.

How does the ASP6 compare with the 8? The 8 is too big for my tiny studio space. Is the 6 a good alternative?
Old 21st May 2006
  #19
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY


Havent listened to the events. but for the KRK's the V6 sounds better than the V8 (series II).





-tINY

The V6 has more detailed low mids than the V8, I found it harder to differentiate a kick / bass guitar on the V8 than I did with the V6. The V8 have more bass, the V6 have a midrange clarity that is very nice in their price range (and they're not exactly bass light either...they do fine).

Siegfried, you should put your ears on a pair of Tannoy Precision 6D or 8D. Nice sound up and down, very linear response to my ears, and great detail makes it easy to build a mix.

I'm also a fan of the Mackie HR824, and if you can compare those also it might be worth it as well.

Whatever you do, be careful reading internet opinions on monitors...it is the worst case of personal taste out of any piece of the recording chain bar none. When somebody says something sucks, you don't know if the room was crazy or they were used to some hyped speaker or what...and people just hear differently and need different things to mix with.

War
Old 21st May 2006
  #20


There are a lot of subtileties involved here.

Like the pair of speakers we built and raffled off for the student AES chapter when I was in school. Probably not any better than other speakers I've built or hear over the years, but Focal donated a bunch of drivers for the project. They were two separate boxes on each side with D'Appolito mids, inverted dome tweeters and double 8'" woofers in the big box.

I'm sure they "sounded better" because of all that yellow kevlar and oak veneer....





-tINY

Old 22nd May 2006
  #21
Gear Addict
 
JohnRodd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu
Thanks for that.


Could you please tell me how far away you think you should be from the Events to use them to their full potential.
I'd say do the usual triangle thing - each speaker is about as far from you as they are apart from each other.

It does depend on your room.....

best

John
Old 22nd May 2006
  #22
Gear Addict
 
JohnRodd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
.....
I'm also a fan of the Mackie HR824, and if you can compare those also it might be worth it as well......
In my experience - (and in my opinion) the Mackie HR824's sounded good on some types of music, and really bad on others.

Be sure that whatever monitors you buy.... that they are appropriate for the types of music that you plan on mixing with them.


Old 22nd May 2006
  #23
Gear Addict
 
JohnRodd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeak
I'm glad this thread came up. I was fixing to buy the KRK V6 in the coming month. I'm more of a jazz/orchestral guy, so thanks for the Event tips.

How does the ASP6 compare with the 8? The 8 is too big for my tiny studio space. Is the 6 a good alternative?
I once A B compared the Event ASP 6's with the Event ASP8's and I really missed the bass extension on the 6's that the 8's have.

It isn't so much amount of bass, but how low it goes.

I'd work on the ASP8's in a small room if I had to - but I'd do so not too loud, and I'd make sure the small room was treated acoustically.

best of luck

John
Old 22nd May 2006
  #24
Gear Addict
 
JohnRodd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegfried
I´m only afraid of one thing: some of my musician friends told me that they have very bad experiences with Events (not ASP 8 but for example 20/20)... So I´m balancing... But for that price they MUST BE good, I think
I AB compared the Event ASP8 to the (older model) Event 20/20 and they are totally and utterly different.

Nothing similar about them.

Old 23rd May 2006
  #25
Lives for gear
 
heathen's Avatar
 

Ahhh I think I'm sold on the ASP 8's too, I'm off to buy a pair to test out.
Old 23rd May 2006
  #26
Gear Addict
 

im getting ready to get a set too. let me know whos got a good deal. the best ive found is 1000$. .
Old 23rd May 2006
  #27
I believe I got mine for about $400 each, at guitar center. I was buying a bunch of other stuff, so that might have been why I got the awesome deal. I'd think that you could haggle them down to around 400-450 per speaker, at guitar center, though.

As far as the sound quality, they sound awesome. Definitely more of a hi-fi sound. A little scooped, with extended highs and lows. A very nonfatiguing and generally accurate monitor. I auditioned the Adam S2s and felt that for 3000 more dollars they weren't worth it and mostly just sounded different... not better.

sword in hand
Old 23rd May 2006
  #28
Lives for gear
 
mixerguy's Avatar
a pal got his Event ASP8's for $1,000 a pair. I forget where.
Old 27th May 2006
  #29
Gear Head
 

Stay away from the v8's

I had a pair (series one, not 2) for quite some time and now I own the ASP 8's. First of all, the KRK's will give you ear fatigue like you've never had b4. Also, their frequency response is anything but impressive. There is a huge roll of at about 90hz or so. The mid's are blairing, and Their stereo spectrum is also very weak. These monitors lack detail ... Did I mention that one of the woofers blew?tutt

The Asp 8's on the other hand are smooth. Very similar to the mackie 824 but much more honest. I find the mackies to be bass heavy where the event's seem to be very flat and detailed in comparison. I ve listened to all 3 sets of monitors side by side as well as some dynaudios. For the money, unless you wanna spend $3,000 go with the event's.thumbsup

These reviews should help
http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_even...ion/index.html

http://mixonline.com/products/review...asp/index.html
Old 27th May 2006
  #30
Gear Maniac
 

trizzent: so do you really think that ASP8 are better than Dynaudio BM6A´s? (!)
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
jeffpardo / Geekslutz forum
3
msolay / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
0
steffan.karlsen / So much gear, so little time
5
pingu / So much gear, so little time
5
SoundEng1 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump