The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Art VLA vs FMR RNLA
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have a HHB FATMAN comp. I find that the "tube" sound, the distortion is a little too present. As soon as the unit holds back 6-7 dbs, I'm getting a low pitched distortion. I'm not too crazy about that. should i expect the same from the VLA? or are my tubes due to be changed..... any wisdom for me?
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarzan
I did some tracking on acoustic guitar and think it sounds wonderful. I am interested in replacing the tubes, any suggestions?
I've been using Amperex ECC81. Both the Euro and American (Hicksville) version of these dual triodes tend to be on the bright side, which compliments the darker sonic quality of the Pro VLA. Keep in mind that the Pro VLA doesn't run full plate voltage, so changing the tubes will not have a dramatic effect. More on the subtle side.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger
I have a HHB FATMAN comp. I find that the "tube" sound, the distortion is a little too present. As soon as the unit holds back 6-7 dbs, I'm getting a low pitched distortion. I'm not too crazy about that. should i expect the same from the VLA? or are my tubes due to be changed..... any wisdom for me?
Recently I sold my TLaudio Fatman, simply because it wasn't that FAT. It was fun and nice, but not big on (positive) character. The distortion isn't all that, which might be caused by the opamps before the tube circuit !!

My modded ProVLA sounds great I changed the opamps and tubes. But most importantly: added a volume knob for the feedback circuit. This circuit makes sure the tube doesn't distort much in normal use.

But thanx to the new knob, I can "remove" the feedback signal and get plenty of pure tube crunch and overdrive. No opamps are a part of that! IMO best mod you can do to the VLA of you want more from it!

Maarten
www.tubefreak.com
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

for anyone wanting an ART Pro VLA you might want to check out american musical (ams). i just picked up one from them for $270 which was the lowest i found, PLUS you can split up the credit card payments over 3 months, free shipping and they give you an extra year warranty. for what they're selling for used i figued you can't go wrong with that! just trying to help out my fellow slutz!
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

I have someone willing to trade me a VLA even up for an original RNC...would you do it ? Even if you already own an RNLA ?

Paul
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 View Post
I have someone willing to trade me a VLA even up for an original RNC...would you do it ? Even if you already own an RNLA ?

Paul
Sure -- it's a deal strictly from a financial perspective. The RNC is only worth $125 used.
Old 15th September 2006
Lives for gear

Get the VLA especially if you want to add colour, you wont regret getting it as they achieve decent ressults on a variety of different apps.The RNC is also good but IMO more limited.
Old 29th September 2006
Gear Addict

How does the VLA sound on electric guitars and male vocals? For vocals I got one of those Rode NT2000, and I like it, but its a little to bright for me. Would the VLA do a good job of adding a little color and warmth to it?
Old 29th September 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master View Post
I think the VLA is one of those "hidden gems" in audio. Except for the QC of the last few years... That being said, it certainly is a unique piece.

But I'd bet the RNLA will work just as well in 10 years as it does on Tuesday. The VLA may have gone through a few sets of tubes and a few tweaks by then.

But even with that, I'm in no hurry to get rid of my VLA...
QC is right - my VLA started blowing it's internal fuse a month after I bought it brand new this year - sent it to be repaired in July - here it is October and the outsourced repair dept. somewhere in Canada is still "waiting for a transformer" from ART. It seems some of these units are lemons, as is reported in other threads here on 'slutz. As far as I am concerned, I liked my VLA when it worked, and I hate my VLA sitting on the repair bench for three months and counting. Waste of three hundred fukkin dollars, when something that I bought isn't available for me to actually use. If and when I get it back, it goes right to ebay. As it is, my dbx 160A is picking up the slack from my now-defunct VLA very nicely.
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post
Get the VLA especially if you want to add colour, you wont regret getting it as they achieve decent ressults on a variety of different apps.The RNC is also good but IMO more limited.

I agree - I bought an RNC and ProVLA at the same time - ended up selling the RNC a few weeks later - it was good, and all, but not what I was looking for - the VLA served my needs much better.
Old 29th September 2006
Lives for gear

Buy a UAD and get the Neve 33069....that compressor is scary good for the price IMHO

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search