The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
startin to hate the project mix any help for changes
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Head

startin to hate the project mix any help for changes

I am a protools user and I wondered if anybody could help me out with eather changin to something else or or different mic pres. oh and something else what are your thoughts on logic pro. should i go to that and get a console that is much better than project mix. or should i stick with pro tools
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRather
I am a protools user and I wondered if anybody could help me out with eather changin to something else or or different mic pres. oh and something else what are your thoughts on logic pro. should i go to that and get a console that is much better than project mix. or should i stick with pro tools
It depends on your budget. For the price, the projectmix is very nice, even though the preamps aren't the greatest. I have a projectmix, and I use a focusrite ISA428 with the digital i/o card. As a control surface, I haven't had any problems, and it works with just about everything. Just get some better preamps and keep the projectmix, unless you can afford something a lot nicer. But IMHO, a projectmix with a good digital front end to feed into the adat input is going to be better than anything in that price range.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBox
It depends on your budget. For the price, the projectmix is very nice, even though the preamps aren't the greatest. I have a projectmix, and I use a focusrite ISA428 with the digital i/o card. As a control surface, I haven't had any problems, and it works with just about everything. Just get some better preamps and keep the projectmix, unless you can afford something a lot nicer. But IMHO, a projectmix with a good digital front end to feed into the adat input is going to be better than anything in that price range.
I have to agree with RadioBox here. I have a projectmix too and it gives u so much possibilities in upgrading that i don't understand why you would dump it.

I'm personally considering connecting a Minime spdif to it since i'm recording not more than 2 channels at once most of the time anyway, this gives me both better pre's and converters.

When occasionally recording drums i use the pre's of my Soundcraft fx 16, good enough, if in need i can rent better.

Right now i'm using both Protools and Logic, both work well with the projectmix. U could start using Logic Express and upgrade too Pro later if necesary. Expanding your plugins would also give you a tot of possibilities ofcourse

Personally i like protools when recording /basic editing, i use Logic more when mixing, producing etc...
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Just sold my Project Mix

Oddly enough I just sold my Project Mix and replaced it with the 1814 which has more or less identical i/o. I wasn't using the control surface much as you still have to control plug in paramaters with the mouse, so I decided to save some cash and try the 1814.

My first surprise...the converters on the 1814 sound significantly better than the Project Mix at the same sample rate (44.1). The 1814 adc goes to 192k so perhaps it is a better chip? Something about the project mix always sounded 'chintzy' to me.

For $390 new, the 1814 is hard to beat. I should also add that I never actually used the M-Audio pres as I am running two Chandler Germaniums and a Great River ME-1NV. Had I not just invested in a Studer 2" 24 track, I was going to get a new mac, logic pro 7, and the apogee ensemble interface...

-Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search