The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
iSK Microphones now available in North America
Old 14th March 2012
Here for the gear

iSK Microphones now available in North America

Hi there,

I have been reading up on some posts on the iSK microphone line and had seen some questions about when the mics would be available in North America, as there is distribution in Europe and Australia.

I wanted to let anyone who is interested in checking out the line of microphones know that I am starting to stock their products and am working with them as a Canadian distributor and will be providing products North America wide.

If you are intersted or have any questions or comments message me or have a look at ProCan Audio.
Old 15th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmuller0420 View Post
Hi there, I have been reading up on some posts on the iSK microphone line and had seen some questions about when the mics would be available in North America, as there is distribution in Europe and Australia. I wanted to let anyone who is interested in checking out the line of microphones know that I am starting to stock their products and am working with them as a Canadian distributor and will be providing products North America wide. If you are intersted or have any questions or comments message me or have a look at ProCan Audio.
Congratulations and Best of Luck!
BG
Old 15th March 2012
Here for the gear

iSK Microphone Reviews

Thanks!

Was also wondering if anyone on here does reviews for the forum?

Since no one has much experience with the mics, I thought maybe someone would be interested in reviewing some of the models (with an unbiased opinion) as having me review my own products is not what I want to do.
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmuller0420 View Post
Thanks!

Was also wondering if anyone on here does reviews for the forum?

Since no one has much experience with the mics, I thought maybe someone would be interested in reviewing some of the models (with an unbiased opinion) as having me review my own products is not what I want to do.
The review section is written by the community.

PM me - I'd be game for checking some out and reviewing them.
Old 18th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have been reading up on some posts on the iSK microphone line and had seen some questions about when the mics would be available in North America, as there is distribution in Europe and Australia.

I wanted to let anyone who is interested in checking out the line of microphones know that I am starting to stock their products and am working with them as a Canadian distributor and will be providing products North America wide.

If you are intersted or have any questions or comments message me or have a look at ProCan Audio.

Have you heard of Michael Joly (also Canadian) and his iSK adventure?
Not that I know the details. (It was discussed in some threads here.)
Anyway, nice microphones. I'll stay tuned.

Henk
Old 25th April 2012
New new mic lines that are worthy... listen & judge for yourself.

Hi There ProCan Audio, AudioHipster is a mom & pop recording studio, that sells pro audio gear to keep analog tape rolling and affordable... we are gearing up to offer more product lines... that are worthy to use in our own studio... we would be glad to review and try the ISK microphones... recently we added the Recording Tools a German co. microphones... here is a drum sample using MC-520 as overheads and the MRP-01 Ribbons in Blumlein over the toms... here is how the AudioHipster drum room sounds featuring these Recording Tools mics. the drummer is our good friend Yonrico Scott... nice ProCan Audio web page, BTW. Cheers Doyen
Attached Files

AudioHipster drums Y S.mp3 (4.64 MB, 5371 views)

Old 17th July 2012
Here for the gear

New iSK Items

Thought I would give an update on some cool new products from iSK:

U99 (U47 Style Mic) - using an Aluminum Capsule http://procanaudio.ca/U99.pdf

RM12- Active Ribbon Mic - http://procanaudio.ca/RM%2012.pdf

TRM9 Tube Mic - http://procanaudio.ca/TRM9.pdf

TRM11 Tube Mic - http://procanaudio.ca/TRM%2011%20leaflet.pdf

CM10 Stereo Pencil Condensers with Omni, Cardiod & Super Cardiod Capsules
Old 17th July 2012
Lives for gear

...there's quite a bit of info on iSK (Shengke/TongXin) product here on GS...a simple search will suffice...their products are available under a number of brandings, including the mics being marketed by Recording Tools, KAM Instruments and Kel Audio...the quality of their microphones remains very high among the relatively inexpensive audio gear being sourced from Asia these days...
Old 17th December 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...there's quite a bit of info on iSK (Shengke/TongXin) product here on GS...a simple search will suffice...their products are available under a number of brandings, including the mics being marketed by Recording Tools, KAM Instruments and Kel Audio...the quality of their microphones remains very high among the relatively inexpensive audio gear being sourced from Asia these days...
I've read a few of your posts regarding iSK (Shengke/TongXin) equipment, and I've certainly felt my very positive opinion of iSK gear supported by you. Your research has opened up my market horizons. Over the past four years I've bought, from Swamp Industries in Canberra, three iSK TM-78 tube mics, which were renamed recently as TRM-9s, a BD-1 kick mic, four TD-1 tom/snare mics and three TRM-11 bottle style tube mics (I recently ordered another two). I have a Rode Classic 11 Limited Edition, a Rode NTK in which I threw a Genelex Gold Lion Gold Tip 6922 tube and a heavily modded AKG Solidtube. The NTK has a special niche I believe for jazz/funk, so it's used reasonably often, but for across the board recording the TRM-11 beats all. I have gotten these mics for a price you won't believe so I won't claim it. I have tubes worth $350 and have not bothered replacing the originals, they are that good. I just burn them in for a couple of days before first use and always warm them up for three to four hours. I also gave a songwriting pal of mine the KAM 2-face after hearing their samples, and now realise that are from the same "family".
Thank you for sharing your product knowledge.
Old 17th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bil_T_White View Post
I've read a few of your posts regarding iSK (Shengke/TongXin) equipment, and I've certainly felt my very positive opinion of iSK gear supported by you. Your research has opened up my market horizons. Over the past four years I've bought, from Swamp Industries in Canberra, three iSK TM-78 tube mics, which were renamed recently as TRM-9s, a BD-1 kick mic, four TD-1 tom/snare mics and three TRM-11 bottle style tube mics (I recently ordered another two). I have a Rode Classic 11 Limited Edition, a Rode NTK in which I threw a Genelex Gold Lion Gold Tip 6922 tube and a heavily modded AKG Solidtube. The NTK has a special niche I believe for jazz/funk, so it's used reasonably often, but for across the board recording the TRM-11 beats all. I have gotten these mics for a price you won't believe so I won't claim it. I have tubes worth $350 and have not bothered replacing the originals, they are that good. I just burn them in for a couple of days before first use and always warm them up for three to four hours. I also gave a songwriting pal of mine the KAM 2-face after hearing their samples, and now realise that are from the same "family".
Thank you for sharing your product knowledge.

...nice!...I'm glad I could be of some assistance...sounds like you're amassing a proper locker!...I have to look into that TRM-11...sounds very promising...thanks for the headsup on that one!...
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear
Hey Kidvybes
Did you get to check out the isk trm-11 ?
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Hey Kidvybes
...no, haven't had the opportunity to do so...but I have another tube mic from the same factory, just a more traditional body/headbasket configuration (that I suspect shares similar inner construction), and I'm quite pleased with it...so I'm pretty confident the TRM-11 is nice as well...at around $299, it looks like a good deal!
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear
I see.
The ebay seller in the UK just replied to me saying, ..
We have the TRM-11 coming in on our next iSK order which should arrive in about 6 weeks time.
I havent seen any available, so this is good news

cheers
Macky
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Kidvybes
...actually I would like to try the mic myself, and I've requested a picture of the circuit board of the TRM-11 from ProCan Audio, so I can assure that it's not the same exact circuit employed in my other tube mic originating from the same factory...Chris at ProCan is out of town, so I should have more info once he returns next week...
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear
^^ Okay.. nice one, keep us posted
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
^^ Okay.. nice one, keep us posted
...OK...Chris at ProCan was kind enough to provide some pics of the inner circuitry of both the TRM11 (below left) and the iSK U99 (below right)...from what I can see, the TRM11 has a very similar/same circuit as my EM T5000 (same as the iSK TM66)...that's good news for anyone looking for an affordable tube mic that's not harsh or overly bright...these iSK tube mics are not the typical chinese tube mic with a cathode-follower circuit (as in the Apex 460 or Nady 1050)...these mics have a more simple plate-follower circuit incorporating high-quality WIMA capacitors and a dual-bobbin transformer coupled output...they are a bit darker sounding and are less susceptible to sibilance and top-end harshness...upgrade the tube to a nice NOS 12AT7 (6201) or 12AY7 (6072) and you have a very nice tube mic for a bargain price...

...now, that U99 with the 36mm aluminum capsule (sounds like a cross between a ribbon and an LDC mic?), that's interesting!
Attached Thumbnails
iSK Microphones now available in North America-kgrhqv-q8e-0t51nc5bp97h882mg-60_57.jpg   iSK Microphones now available in North America-kgrhqjhjeee-w42kknbbqbk-ingdq-60_57.jpg  
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear
Good info Kidvybes...
Thanks for the post
Old 7th August 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
...OK...Chris at ProCan was kind enough to provide some pics of the inner circuitry of both the TRM11 (below left) and the iSK U99 (below right)...from what I can see, the TRM11 has a very similar/same circuit as my EM T5000 (same as the iSK TM66)...that's good news for anyone looking for an affordable tube mic that's not harsh or overly bright...these iSK tube mics are not the typical chinese tube mic with a cathode-follower circuit (as in the Apex 460 or Nady 1050)...these mics have a more simple plate-follower circuit incorporating high-quality WIMA capacitors and a dual-bobbin transformer coupled output...they are a bit darker sounding and are less susceptible to sibilance and top-end harshness...upgrade the tube to a nice NOS 12AT7 (6201) or 12AY7 (6072) and you have a very nice tube mic for a bargain price...

...now, that U99 with the 36mm aluminum capsule (sounds like a cross between a ribbon and an LDC mic?), that's interesting!
Old 7th August 2013
Here for the gear

Yo trm-11

Quote:

Funny about that. I put a NOS 60s Telefunken 12AX7 into a TRM-11 and it's good, but the best results I had were thru NOS 12AT7s, 12AY7s & 12AZ7s.
I run mine either straight into a Tascam 2488 neo or DAW or often thru an ART Pro MPA-II preamp. I replaced the 12AX7s in that with longplate Raytheon three-mica 12AZ7s, for a fuller low-mid and low with a lovely smooth upper mid and high. I'm just an old bloke with a wealth of recording/sound knowledge from way back when who has recently got back into things. My electronics knowledge is ordinary but I listen! hehThese mics and that ART preamp are good. I recently bought a Triton Audio D2O Tube FET Mic Preamp. I'll be recording with it soon. I sang into it to test it. Sounds like a winner.
Old 25th December 2014
Gear Head

A quick note that I bought the TRM11 a couple of years ago and use it exclusively for vocals. I've loved it, but fell even more in love when a tube was going bad and I bought an AT4040 as a backup. While waiting for the tube, I used the 4040 and thought I was dialing in comparable eq and sound. I was actually quite happy - and sad that I was going to stop using the iSK...but in listening to tracks of the two mics, it was quite obvious that the TRM11 had a "color" and compression that outshined the 4040. When I got the replacement tube, I actually did a/b the two on the same song, and it was not even close. Of course, this is my opinion and specifically for my own voice...
Old 9th September 2015
Gear Guru

I have been lucky enough to check out the ISK Starlight and Little Gem microphones.

The main thing that impressed me was the build quality of these mics. I took them apart, and the circuit boards were very clean and well soldered, with good electronic components. They seem a lot better built than some of the other Chinese manufactured competition's mics I have looked at. Add to that the external appearance and form factor and these mics are pretty impressive. The Starlight looks like something out of Blue's lineup, but it's only $129 at the ISKproaudio website currently. The Little Gem comes with an omni cap besides the cardioid, which would be useful in a lot of situations, I always like to see multiple patterns on a condenser microphone. Pretty impressive. I recorded a few songs with the Starlight on vocal and the Little Gem on acoustic guitar and I can find very little to fault with the sound. I found that the quality of my performance was really the limiting factor more than the sound of the microphones.

I think the ISK mics would be pretty appealing contenders for people starting out on this journey of recording music, looking for something that sounds respectable on a budget. The Starlight to me was particularly impressive to me with its design, integrated pop filter, and carrying case. At a price point this low I have a hard time imagining that you could do much better. It's always nice to see manufacturers pushing the boundaries of price and quality. Now I'm really curious about the other mics they offer.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
The main thing that impressed me was the build quality of these mics. I took them apart, and the circuit boards were very clean and well soldered, with good electronic components. They seem a lot better built than some of the other Chinese manufactured competition's mics I have looked at. Add to that the external appearance and form factor and these mics are pretty impressive.
Agreed 100%!...these mics are very well built and their form and finish seems to far exceed their price-point...the "Little Gem" SDC, complete with 3 assorted swap-able capsules is only $39, and now the slightly larger SDC, "The Pearl" (formerly BM-88) is now only $29 from iskproaudio.com...crazy!

Old 11th September 2015
Lives for gear

I recently got an ISK 2B Beauty. I was not familiar with ISK or these mics prior, but in reading this thread, the Beauty looks like an upgraded variant of the TRM 11.
Whatever the case, the assembly of the mic is of high quality, and the literature states that the tube and other components are indeed upgraded, high quality parts.
And the sound reflects this in my listening tests, in terms of clarity, lack of harshness or shrillness, and an open, natural tone, with a lack of any discernible noise or other anomalies. The power supply seems well built and beefy, and the multi patterns sound and work as they should. Quite an impressive mic at the price, the sound quality is worth two or three times what I've seen it offered for online (around $350 US), IMHO.
Glad to read the other positive impressions of the ISK mics, I am really impressed that you can get this sound for such a small price, and at this price would have no problem recommending the Beauty for home studio owners and vocalists looking for a good sounding budget tube mic.
Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
I recently got an ISK 2B Beauty. I was not familiar with ISK or these mics prior, but in reading this thread, the Beauty looks like an upgraded variant of the TRM 11.
Whatever the case, the assembly of the mic is of high quality, and the literature states that the tube and other components are indeed upgraded, high quality parts.
And the sound reflects this in my listening tests, in terms of clarity, lack of harshness or shrillness, and an open, natural tone, with a lack of any discernible noise or other anomalies. The power supply seems well built and beefy, and the multi patterns sound and work as they should. Quite an impressive mic at the price, the sound quality is worth two or three times what I've seen it offered for online (around $350 US), IMHO.
Glad to read the other positive impressions of the ISK mics, I am really impressed that you can get this sound for such a small price, and at this price would have no problem recommending the Beauty for home studio owners and vocalists looking for a good sounding budget tube mic.
Hey Ed!...glad to see you've given that mic a try...I've been a fan of the iSK tube mics for some time, and they are clearly very solid options, particularly at such affordable pricing...and swapping tubes in a simple plate-follower circuit as employed in the 2B Beauty can result in varying voicing options...if you happen to have any older (GE, RCA, etc) NOS 12A*7-series tubes laying around, you may want to test them in the 2B Beauty...I had an old GE 6201 (12AT7WA) that really sounded wonderful in the mic (very mid-forward, almost 47-ish)...just a thought...
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

Anybody know if ProCan Audio are still in business?
When I look at their website, it seems abandoned, and there is no mention of iSK microphones.
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
Anybody know if ProCan Audio are still in business?
When I look at their website, it seems abandoned, and there is no mention of iSK microphones.
Distribution rights were purchased by Kris at Isk Pro Audio – iSK Pro Audio
Much better QC, pricing and customer service...highly recommended!
Old 28th January 2016
Lives for gear

anyone have experience that they would like to share about using the Little Gem live on stage?
Old 22nd January 2017
Gear Nut
Has anyone tried the "Little Gem" with bowed strings? I'm interested in recording mostly classical music, and want a pair of omnis for the room (that could also be used to record a piano solo). I already have a pair of Line Audio CM3.

Also, what's the difference between the Little Gem with the omni caps and the isk CM20Q?

Thanks!

Last edited by VlaVlnPlayer; 22nd January 2017 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Adding the part about recording piano

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search