The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Motu Traveller question
Old 15th May 2006
Here for the gear

Question Motu Traveller question

My studio computer and my lap top (both XP) will all of a sudden not 'see' my Motu Traveller.

I have tried other devices and an external hard drive on the same firewire sockets and they work fine.

Has anyone out there had this kind of problem with the Traveller?

Which is the best forum for technical discussions about the Traveller? Is there an official forum?
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

try this:

1. most important, switch to MAC
2. try unicornation.com and search those threads. helpful lads over there
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Nut

MOTU hates windows alot. Get a mac.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmetre
MOTU hates windows alot. Get a mac.
I don't agree that MOTU hates windows. I have used several audio devices in the past, and the Traveller has been the most reliable device I have used. I have used it without difficulties on a Windows XP dual core and a laptop.
Getting a MAC is not a good solution. Better to get rid of your Traveler if you cannot get it working.
You might want to try MOTU support. Consider getting the most recent driver that is available (downloadable from the site)?
Does it make a difference if you have the thing plugged in or if you power it off the Firewire?
Old 16th May 2006
Here for the gear

Question Anyone specific from Motu support you can recommend?

thanks! this is my first time on a forum so it's great to get some replies so soon - even if the news is not all that good yet

Feyshay, I have tried latest drivers, formatting, differet FW cables etc and no luck.

Do any of you know of a particular Motu support staff member who is particularly helpful?

If so, may I please have his/her email address?
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

trav....
this might or might not work but here goes.
i tried to help someone else with a trav.
i went to motu's site. it looks like (if you read under motu support)
there are issues with sp2.
are you useing sp2 ? if so it looks like you have to try sp1.
the other thing i would try is if your plugging the trav into
a standard firewire port in your pc try a third party firewire card.
with a TI chipset.
look in control panel of your pc and check under ieee support.
what chipset do you see ?? if its via or something else
try a add in firewire card. hope it works. just some ideas.
Old 16th May 2006
Here for the gear

sp2 is not a problem

I run a MOTU 828mkII Firewire on XP SP2 that uses the same drivers as the Traveler. There was a problem *initially* with the way that SP2 handled firewire, but that has been cleared-up long ago through patches. Your problem is most likely due to the chipset your firewire uses. The suggestion to try a separate pci card based on the Texas Instruments chipset is a good start – you can get a card real cheap. My 828mkII has been running solidly on XP SP2 for a long while now. I couldn't be happier with the performance.

-Brian.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Because I had heard about the sp2 problem in the past, I called MOTU and spoke for about 25 minutes with a service representative there. Maybe they treated me well only because I had not yet purchased, but I thought the support was very user friendly.
Tell them you bought one and are thinking about returning it to the store because of the difficulty you are having. If they aren't motivated to help you out of the goodness of their hearts, they may be if they will lose a sale.
You can get the phone number for the MOTU website.
Old 16th May 2006
mds
Lives for gear

MOTUs work fine on PCs. People still perpetuating the myth that they don't haven't tried using one since 1998. MOTU's tech support is also better than their reputation. They can be slow in email, though. Usually they're quite helpful on the phone.

Mike

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search