The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
first monitors - search function wasn't too helpfull
Old 15th May 2006
Here for the gear

first monitors - search function wasn't too helpfull

Hi everyone!

My first post, but I've alreday learnt alot in here.
I want to purchase a pair of monitors to judge on my mixes.
Mostly bass heavy music since I like Synth and hitting drums very much. Genre would be electronic and rap music.

I've narrowed it down to the Fostex pm-2, Event 20/20 (passive).
Why? because I want to have 8' speakers for the bass.

I'm not sure wether I should go with active boxes or passive ones.
The active ones have built in limiters and one of my biggest fears is destroying my new monitors. I have safed my money for too long.
I'm a student yet I can't afford to buy too big euipment yet, but really CANT afford to buy bad stuff, since I later on have to buy better stuff again!

I recently read some equipment hints on hiphopgame.com by an engineer called Dr.No, and he warnt somebody to buy monitors with low freq Limiters, because the cut off too much. But then again, what are they for anyway?
http://www.hiphopgame.com/index2.php3?page=askdrno

I already tried to get some infos on the pm-2 boxes via your search-function but wasnt too lucky with this.

20/20bas boxes are too expensive, and so are asp8s and 824s.
Or are the ones I choose really that bad, that I really should save my money until I can afford those other ones?

Is it okay to go with the passive 20/20s?

Greetings from germany

Daniel :-)

ps: Oh yeah, I just wrote an email to Fostex(the german distributor) this morning, asking them what the technical difference between the pm-2 and the pm-2 mkII is...
their Replie, nothing except for the piano-paint!

Quote:
"Sehr geehrter Herr M.......,
die technischen Daten des Fostex PM2 MKII sind identisch mit denen des erfolgreichen Vorgängers. Neu ist lediglich die Klavierlack-Optik.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,...."
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

Just ignore me if you please, because I know you said you were looking for 8" speakers.

However, it seems to me that a subwoofer would be a helpful addition to your setup if you are mixing very bass heavy music. They are not high end by any means, but I have been continually impressed with the listenability and translation of my little KRK RP5 monitors. If you add in the RP10 as a sub, I would think that would be a great starter system for you. I think some retailers even run a package special on that setup for something like $500.

That would be a great deal and a good way to go IMO. I think it is at least worth checking out.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you absolutely gotta hear the bass then you absolutely gotta have a sub! No nearfield under €1500 gets low enough to judge a dance-mix properly and even then...

What's your budget?

Have you considered BlueSky?
Old 16th May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann
If you absolutely gotta hear the bass then you absolutely gotta have a sub! No nearfield under €1500 gets low enough to judge a dance-mix properly and even then...

What's your budget?

Have you considered BlueSky?
My budget would be something around 450 Euros, which would be 580 $

I dont have to ABSOLUTELY judge on the bass, since I guess, there are a lot of people out there, that also manage to get along without hearing all the low freqs. And when you say, that every monitoring system under 1.5k isnt able to reproduce these freqs acurately, then I guess I'll have to go without this.

But which system is best, whzen I keep in mind, that noen of them is perfect though, in your opinion?

I'm mean I know that there is this point that you always have to decide for yourself which is the best, but isnt this topic more on the Truth that these loudspeakers are telling me, than on one's tase of what sounds 'right' and nice?

I will go to our local dealer in a few days again, and I would like you guys to give me some kind of advices, what to pay attention to.
For example Loudspeaker XY isnt to accurate on the high freqs or, anotherone, that lacks in case of the stereo panorama, that they produce....

What would you say, go with active ones or passive ones?
and are the passive 20/20s okay?

Greetings Daniel :-)
Old 16th May 2006

Any of those is going to be alright. Given your limited buget, theres only som much you can do. The biggest thing you can do for getting a good bass response is make sure the room is good.

If the room is less than 7x10 meters and less than 3m tall, look into corner traps.

The other route to decent monitors is used hi fi speakers - the good ones.

-tINY

Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
The biggest thing you can do for getting a good bass response is make sure the room is good.
absolutely! let me say this one more time... abso-fukkin-lutely!

also you might want to look at the blue sky media desk ($500) and the krk 'rockit' rp8 ($500) in your budget.

as for hifi, the jbl northridge series has some way inexpensive stuff which should do the job.

self.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Nut

KRK V8s or Genelecs?

i have a similar problem and need some advice, so maybe somebody might want to give me advice here:

i have Yamaha MSP 5s, and i am not too happy with them, so i would like to upgrade to something more good.

so i would like to hear some opinions about the KRK V8s compared to the Genelec 1031s...should i save up money a little bit longer to get the Genelecs or are the KRKs en par with the 1031s?

this might be also useful information for the starter of this thread (i read in the german "sound and recording magazine" that the french Prodipe pro 8 Monitors are almost exactly the same thing like those KRK V8s, and thats for half the price, around 450 Euro for a pair of them)...

PS: btw i am also german..
Old 16th May 2006

Get the KRK V6 series2 - if you need mor volume or low end, get a sub.

Genelecs are good, but a bit overpriced.

-tINY

Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've got the Fostex PM-1s, and I'm really not happy with them. It's not so much that they color the sound as they're not terribly clear. There'll be mix issues that I won't notice until I take a track somewhere else.

I've gotten to use KRKs and was really impressed with them. I'd listen to the guys recommending them.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Addict

EVENT TR-8's are less than $500 a pair. They're not top of the line, but they'd be a great starting point. They sound better than the KRK rokit series (having less "hyped" mids) and they have good low frequency response. You won't regret purchasing these monitors.
Old 16th May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNY
I've got the Fostex PM-1s, and I'm really not happy with them. It's not so much that they color the sound as they're not terribly clear. There'll be mix issues that I won't notice until I take a track somewhere else.

I've gotten to use KRKs and was really impressed with them. I'd listen to the guys recommending them.

Thanks very much so far, everyone for the answers.

KrisNY, do you think, that the same problems might also are a topic when it comes to the Fostex pm-2 ?... have you, or anyone else, ever heard these?
...I'm tending to buy Event 20/20s.
They cost about half of all the others...
But I only have a Yamaha RX-498RDS Receiver (but direct through though!)

greetings

Daniel :-)
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Daniel,

I've never heard the PM-2s, but my friend has the PM0.5s (which is a 5" cone I believe) and those are significantly cloudier than my PM-1s. I would assume the PM-2s would be a bit clearer than PM-1s, but if you're considering Event 20/20's, don't even think about Fostex. You'll be much happier with the 20/20's.

- Kris
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY

-tINY

I couldn't agree more. KRK V6 Series 2 are just about the best monitors I've heard in a while, especially at $700/pr, they are absolutely amazing and easy to get used to, very tight and controlled all across the board. On the other hand, I really don't like Genelecs but it is all so subjective I suppose. If I were to win or be given a set of Gens I would probably sell them to get those KRK's (which I do have) or Dynaudio BM6A's (which I've always wanted). If you can bump up your budget to $900 then Dynaudio BM5A's are sick, sick, sick for the price.
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks again, for all ther replies.

Well to judge a little on the the lower freqs I have now purchased a pair of Pioneer CS-969. I know they aren't Studio Monitors, but at least this is how I at least get to HEAR some aof the low freqs (knowing that they might sound hyped and not at the same level like the mids)

I needed new Stereo Loudspeakers anyway, since my old ones were very(very) crappy and past away a long time ago, and those that I had before weren't mine. They belonged to a friend and someday day in the future he wanted to take them back.

It was hard to find Speakers with big bass cones, are those out of fashion these days? I only found 8inch bass cones, but always 2 or more of them!

greetings Daniel :-)
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear Addict

I have had the PM2's for two years and they sound good. They soung good enough to use untill you begin selling music and become able to buy a more expensive pair of monitors. Most people are posting comments with not enough experience with these. Some people blame the results they are getting from monitors and should be blameing the gear and soundcards used or their ear. Alot of people are justifing their purchases to themselves of spending more money based on bias oppinions and no experience. Most times in a store the environment is not even suitable to test monitors. Buy some monitors, take them home, if not to your liking, take them back and try a diffrent pair. No one knows your experience or expectations, you may think the ****tiest monitors sound excellent. Go with whatever sounds good to you.
Old 22nd September 2006
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY

-tINY

I couldn't agree more. KRK V6 Series 2 are just about the best monitors I've heard in a while, especially at $700/pr, they are absolutely amazing and easy to get used to,
KRK in general have problems with the stereofield (imaging is bad).

never recommend a monitor you dont know.. but check out the ADAM A7

cheers
Old 22nd September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
KRK in general have problems with the stereofield (imaging is bad).

That's not been my experience. But, matching the tweeters is critical to imaging and I may have been lucky....

I Much prefer the NHT M10 set that I have, but finding those is not likely.

Recently I heard a Blue Sky set-up that was impressive. For what those probably cost they sounded really nice. Good ballance and good imaging. I don't think they play really loud, but I don't need that anyway.

-tINY

Old 22nd September 2006
Quote:
Recently I heard a Blue Sky set-up that was impressive. For what those probably cost they sounded really nice. Good ballance and good imaging. I don't think they play really loud, but I don't need that anyway.
exactly.

I also agree on the KRK and tweeter/sub match.. they have strange problems in the factory I think.

PMC monitors.. a bit more expensive.. and then we are highend again.

you cant go wrong with the Event 20/20 (please BUY PASSIVE AND A GOOD AMP) for the price while I dont like em.(again personal taste)

cheers George
Old 22nd September 2006
if you decide to go with passive, keep in mind that a good big amp will mean the difference between anemic and powerful.
speakers get blown up often because the amp is too small.
so price considering go for active IMO.
Old 23rd September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
I also agree on the KRK and tweeter/sub match.. they have strange problems in the factory I think.

Maybe they just send the good ones to the USA and the B-bin goes to Europe.

It may be a lead-free component problem too......

-tINY

Old 23rd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

-tINY

I find those monitors to be very harsh in the upoper mids/ high end. A headache within 10 minutes of listening and listening fatigue guaranteed in my experience
Old 25th September 2006

Yeah, Hyped mixes sound that way on those speakers.

If you want loudness for commercial radio in your mixes and listen to them at high volumes while mixing, you'll want something with more mellow tweeters.

I prefer the accuracy.....

-tINY

Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

I own the event 20/20bas V2's and they are great, even in my less than stellar room they translate very well. All that being said I've heard a plethora of people claim the passives are far superior when matched with a really good amp. I love my Events.
Old 25th September 2006
I like working on mellow speakers, that don't irritate my ears but are still accurate.
But just like speakers, ears are very different. If the sharp monitors like the Genelecs work for you, by all means use them.
Some guys I know use Mackies, but I find the low end too flattering. And then I make mistakes. JBLs (older ones) I like, and they're sharp too, and boomy, I hate genelecs, but others swear by them, I like working on Emes, some ppl. think their earcanals are blocked heh and so on and on..

I think when you get used to your monitors, and know how they translate, that is really important. Of course being comfortable mixing with them is important too. I used to have tannoy bmp 6.5 I always felt like I had to stick my head INSIDE those, because I could hear that there was more going on in the mix that I couldn't hear... heh translation on those to radio was excellent, but these just gave me a headache.

except for suggestions in previous posts, also listen to: Adam, Klein & Hummel, Quested, PMC, Emes. all of those companies have smaller monitors, that won't break the bank.
you can have better a good set of monitors and a pair of eq than a crappy set of monitors and 3 sets of eq.
really.
Old 26th September 2006
Gear Head

Perhaps the best strategy would be to just get by with a decent pair of headphones until you can save up for something like the Adam A7 ($1000 USD).
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhomas View Post
Perhaps the best strategy would be to just get by with a decent pair of headphones until you can save up for something like the Adam A7 ($1000 USD).
Hell no, you can't mix on headphones.
Old 26th September 2006
Gear Addict

Another vote for the KRK V6's. I went to the store and brought a CD I was very familiar with. I listened to every thing under $1000, and the V6s were the most accurate (flattest) sounding of ANYTHING else I tried. Every room is different, but in the store and in my control room, they are very good for mixing, especially for my hip-hop/RnB beats. The only serious beat I've made since I've had then is by far better in the mix department than any I've done. just my two cents.

They aren't perfect, but you can't really beat them for <1000 in my opinion and others I've spoken to.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search