The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic n Mic Pre (Tube n Solid State)
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Mic n Mic Pre (Tube n Solid State)

Rme adi2>>>> Rme 9652. Now i wanna grab 2 mics 1 tube and 1 s.s. and also 1 tube pre and solid state pre. For tube i had my mind set on the rode k2 (used the ntk but needs an upgrade) or mxl v69, for solid state the rode nt2 or something equivalent. For mic pre tube i wanted to purchase the Groove tubes brick and for Solid state the True system psolo. Now for compression i will purchase the rnc(2x) since its transparent but i dont know if i would need a tube compressor. Is their any thing else thats a bang for the buck in both genre's being tube and solid state on a budget.
Old 16th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Rene
Rme adi2>>>> Rme 9652. Now i wanna grab 2 mics 1 tube and 1 s.s. and also 1 tube pre and solid state pre. For tube i had my mind set on the rode k2 (used the ntk but needs an upgrade) or mxl v69, for solid state the rode nt2 or something equivalent. For mic pre tube i wanted to purchase the Groove tubes brick and for Solid state the True system psolo. Now for compression i will purchase the rnc(2x) since its transparent but i dont know if i would need a tube compressor. Is their any thing else thats a bang for the buck in both genre's being tube and solid state on a budget.
The only question I have is why the need for tube & ss gear? Wouldn't it be wiser to take that cash and buy one really good piece instead...
Old 16th May 2006
Deleted User
Tony. That is brilliant advice.

Tubes are cool, but they aren't an end all to solid state.

The most revered pre-amps aren't tube. Neve never made anything with tubes.

Old mics used tubes for gain. Not because they sounded better, but because at that time, there were no other options. A U87 is solid state (transistor based). A 414 is solid state. There are a lot of awesome options out there.

What kind of music are you planning on working on? Clients, or is this for yourself?

Get an SM7, and an AT 40xx mic.

Get a John Hardy M1 (maybe not lowend, but well worth it...) and if budget allows, a Chameleon pre.

2 totally different mics, 2 totally different pres. 4 Totally different tones.
Old 16th May 2006

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
Tony. That is brilliant advice.
Thanks!

Quote:
Get an SM7, and an AT 40xx mic.

Get a John Hardy M1 (maybe not lowend, but well worth it...) and if budget allows, a Chameleon pre.

2 totally different mics, 2 totally different pres. 4 Totally different tones.
I agree ... Although, maybe the new API might be a better choice for preamp, as it also has a great A/D as well... But, it totally depends on the budget, etc.
Old 16th May 2006
Deleted User
Yeah... haven't heard about that new fangled API thing until now.

Just threw those 2 out as not $3000 mic pres..

This way he gets 2 flavors.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

What about transformers

HI PRene.

It seems that you are looking for sonic variety. To that end, you should really consider transformers in the equation.

I'm thinking a super-clean, transformerless preamp (e.g., Millenia), and a slightly colored, transformer balanced preamp (e.g., Hamptone HJFET)

Both those preamps could work wonders with a Tube or SS microphone.

- Jim
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

sounds like you've been bitten by the tube bug :p

Tube gear can be very coloured.. tube gear can also be very clean
Solid state gear can be very coloured.. soloid state gear can also be very clean

see what I'm getting at here?.. what you want to ask.. if your just looking for some variety.. is for one coloured pre amp.. and one clean one
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
The most revered pre-amps aren't tube.

Your homework assignment: listen to the tube preamps you apparently haven't listened to yet.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

cool cool

but i dont have that kind of cash to be dishing out. I just wanted to get two different variety's of tone. Some people sound good on colored and others sound good via ss, and i wanted too have a lil of both worlds.
Old 18th May 2006
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray
Your homework assignment: listen to the tube preamps you apparently haven't listened to yet.
Such as?

The 'revered' ones that I was talking about are the usual suspects. 1073, Api pres, Trident A range (daking)... These I've used.

I know of the Telefunken stuff, the ua610, Avalon stuff... I've used the new school 610s, and the avalon stuff. I think those are the only tube pres that I've ever laid my hands on before.

I'm not saying that tube pres are bad.... not at all... i'm just saying that buying a tube pre, and a solid state pre doesn't necessarily give you 2 different flavors.

Are you offering to fly me out to your joint and listen to all of these different tube pres?

I'm young. I've got a lot to learn... Anyone (read: anyone) that says otherwise, either has a big head, or is a jackass.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search