The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Baby Bottle Clipping...
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Baby Bottle Clipping...

Ok so I was tracking vocals today with my baby bottle for a cover of "Defying Gravity" from Wicked, and the mic distorted like none other. It wasn't my shiny new Hamptone, (cause I know what its distortion sounds like) and it wansn't the converters as I was just using the analog ins on my DIGI002 and the signal only went about 3/4 up the meter before sounding distorted. Now albeit she was a powerful singer, but I would think that this mic should be able to handle it...

My mic does have a dent in the capsul basket. Could this have anything to do with it?

Anyone else have anything similar?
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Its a very hot mic

I have a lot of mics and that is by far the hottest. Pad down pre and if it still happens try an inline pad (cheap at yer local pro audio store). ted
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

The thing is is the hamptone is a hot pre as well, so to me it would seem that the pre distorts before the mic and the converter distorts before the pre. The one thing I can say is that the converters are not distording, or a pretty (or ugly) red light would pop on, but it didn't.

I also don't believe it is the pre, becasue I turned down the preamp and the result was a lower volume distorted vocal, which points me to the mic.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've had singers before that distorted the mic itself. Use more distance from mic, no need to be very close to it (too much proximity effect anyway when using cardioid). A popfilter (or when using one, an extra one!) can sometimes help too.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM
I've had singers before that distorted the mic itself. Use more distance from mic, no need to be very close to it (too much proximity effect anyway when using cardioid). A popfilter (or when using one, an extra one!) can sometimes help too.
SHE WAS 3 FEET AWAY!

Does it need more distance than that?
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCCA
SHE WAS 3 FEET AWAY!

Does it need more distance than that?
That should be enough yeah... She must be uberpowerful
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Hey,

I had the exact same problem with this mic. It was clipping on me with vocals and even acoustic guitar (I bought it mostly for that purpose). I did like the sound of this mic (for acoustic guitar, not as much for vocals) but it was too difficult to get a usable signal and I found it very odd that normal strummed acoustic guitar playing was causing clipping. I ended up exchanging it and getting a KSM44 instead.

Cheers,
Theo
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

weird....my baby bottle has incredibly hot output, but i have never managed to distort the mic...even using it on toms, snare, and FOK.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

My Babybottle was also really hot, almost twice as hot as any other mic I own. But it never distorted even on loud vox. Curiously mine also had a very small dent on the grill, but after careful inspection I realized that it didn't seem to have any adverse affects. Also my groove tubes came out of the factory with a small dent on the same spot on both sides of the grill. You really shouldn't be getting distortion like that though, if you can see if you can remove the grill and take a peek at the capsule.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Well my dent is more than just a small one... Don't know how it happend though. It was fine from the factory, then one day when I opened the box... Poof a rather large sized dent.

How would I go about taking off the basket to look at the capsul? I'd really like to get this mic fixed, it hasn't been such a bad first mic.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

There should be two very small screws you can remove, actually I think you just loosen them, that's what I did when I wanted to peak at mine.
Old 16th May 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCCA
Well my dent is more than just a small one... Don't know how it happend though. It was fine from the factory, then one day when I opened the box... Poof a rather large sized dent.

How would I go about taking off the basket to look at the capsul? I'd really like to get this mic fixed, it hasn't been such a bad first mic.
That's a pretty BAD idea unless you wanna' risk really damaging the mic.

The distortion that your hearing is most likely because the output of the microphone is high enough to clip the next stage, meaning the micamp.

Get an in-line pad...10 or 20dB (my preference is -20dB) and stick that between the mic & the micpreamp that your using & see if the problems go away.

Most likely they will. A couple three weeks back I was doing a radio broadcast of a bluegrass style group with two singers in front of an M147 (also has a REALLY high output) and even from 2-3 feet away they managed to 'singe' the mic a few times during the course of the broadcast.

If you want to pull the dent out of the grille you can probably do that with some kind of hook...just loop it & pull it out.

But a dented grille won't cause damage to the capsule...dropping the mic or some other catastrophic event could/would do that & then the microphone would sound pretty funky ALL the time.

If your really that concerned about it, call Blue & send it back to them to have it checked out.

Would you pull your car's engine apart if you didn't know how to service it?!?!
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
Most likely they will. A couple three weeks back I was doing a radio broadcast of a bluegrass style group with two singers in front of an M147 (also has a REALLY high output) and even from 2-3 feet away they managed to 'singe' the mic a few times during the course of the broadcast.
Yeah-- M147's always seem to have that problem... the only person recently that has successfully sang into them i think is Rob Thomas...
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Nut

I'd go with the inline pad first. I know what the output of this mic can do to the input of a cranesong spider with a loud source. Nasty!
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Ditto on the pad. A cheap, effective test.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcconnell
I have a lot of mics and that is by far the hottest. Pad down pre and if it still happens try an inline pad (cheap at yer local pro audio store). ted
They should put this advice on the lit that comes with the Baby Bottle.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
If you want to pull the dent out of the grille you can probably do that with some kind of hook...just loop it & pull it out.
That's not a good idea either. One little slip and that diaphragm becomes a pin cushion.

Here's a novel idea. How about you call BLUE and see what they say?
Getting the dent fixed will probably only cost you shipping to them....about $10-$15.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search