The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AT 4033 or Something Else?
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

AT 4033 or Something Else?

Im looking to add a versatile microphone to my arsenal that is somewhere in the 400 to 500 dollar range. Right now, my high end mic is an M-147, but ironically I have been using my RE-20 more often than that for vocals. Not sure if I just haven't found the right mic-pre/eq/comp equation for the the 147 or what.. but the RE-20 has been the go to. Anyhow, I want to get another decent vocal mic as an option, and have something that can also be used on acoustic and/or as a room mic. I was recommended to get an AT4033, so I figure I would ask here before taking the plunge. BTW, Im mostly tracking vocals through an API 312c... occassionally going into a 550 EQ depending on the vocalist. I also track mostly to PT, but occassionally to tape. Thanks in advance for help and advice.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

The 4033 is a good mic. It is very bright though. AT mics are usually pretty flat, but this one has a bright sound which makes it very good for acoustic's, but sometimes very sibilant on vocals. Are you recorded Male or Felmale vocals? If you think the sibilant sound would be an issue, I woul pick up the AT 4050. Very Flat mic, but can be used for almost anything. I just picked up one one on eBay for $300.

Hopr this helps!heh
Old 13th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummin4christ
The 4033 is a good mic. It is very bright though. AT mics are usually pretty flat, but this one has a bright sound which makes it very good for acoustic's, but sometimes very sibilant on vocals. Are you recorded Male or Felmale vocals? If you think the sibilant sound would be an issue, I woul pick up the AT 4050. Very Flat mic, but can be used for almost anything. I just picked up one one on eBay for $300.
Ditto all that. You might also consider the 4047. Killer for drums, I've used it on vocals. Never tried it on acoustic guitar though.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Unhappy

Thanks for the "bright" heads up, thats definitely not what I want. Since Im primarily in digital, bright sometimes tends to lean into "crispy" sounding. Im general tracking male vocalists. The singer in my band (who is routinely my guinea pig for testing out gear) sounds like the bastard child of Billy Corgan/John Lennon/Noel Gallagher. I have a buddy bringing over a U87 tonight to track a band... Im hoping I won't fall in love with that mic.... I wanted to spend 500.00, not 1800.00.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi
I don't have a big mic locker..AT4033/U87/AKG solid tube.
some of the nicer vox I have recorded were on the AT4033.
It really required the least work and stood the test of time in terms of
how the signal sounded once I had tried to edit.
I trend to use melodyne and plugins and all sorts of things over time on vocal comps and with that mic I am actually glad it is full/ a little bright up the top end.
It is definately a safe 'go to mic' for me and I would not discount it.
U87 is also a bright mic..be warned! and sibilance will be a problem for some voices.
Solid tube needs a lot of work generally.
I like a few different mic's but the AT4033 sits very well in my own selection.
Try not to let the name and price impress...most people would agree that the u87 is not the ultimate general purpose mic for digital recording...go u67 os something if your budget is able to stretch to the exotic.The u87 has a top end to it that will not sit effortlessly in a digital mix. But I do like mine and got a good deal on it.

Perhaps with the AT4033 you will have a little money left over to create a good space to record in which is even more important. An ISO type corner of your room or treat your booth to a small refit and damp it down.
All that sort of thing is real important to the results.
The U87 really needs a clean dead space or it will pick up on anything and everything....computer noise for example.
Solid tube is probably the best of mine in this regard and has a tight field and a good focus but is very dull and leans towards the low frequencies so requires dareing eq at the pramp stage or lots of thought and effort at the mix.
scruffy
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I like my 4033's for overheads and acoustic.......not much else. I've used them on vocals before but, as has been stated already....they're bright! The Shure SM7 is getting a lot of attention these days. I'd check that puppy out! (Probably my next mic purchase)

Vocals at my studio lately have been handled by AT4050, RODE NTK, and SM58. Paired with BAE 312's and A-designs P-1.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well, I never got to test out the U87 last night anyhow. Was tracking on tape and was having problems with the tape machine (wouldn't engage FF or RW, had to rewind tape manually at 3:00 am to get the vocal track... thank jah he could sing).

I've been hearing lots of good things about the SM-7 too... thats been on my radar as well. I think Guitar Center carries the 4033 and the SM-7, so I could probably try them out and return them (I think the return policy on mics is 1 week?) but I'll check it out this week.

And you are right on the vocal booth, Im tracking vocals in my live room making a little booth out of Clear Sonic's Tall Fabric panels... not the greatest solution.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechstudio
Vocals at my studio lately have been handled by AT4050, RODE NTK, and SM58. Paired with BAE 312's and A-designs P-1.
I missed that line in my first read. Yeah, I have been using a 58 too... It sounds pretty damn good in most cases, but I wish Shure would come out with a studio version of the 58 that was the same price, but different appearance and would fit in a shock mount.... I get bands coming in that look at the 58, and then I get this look that can only described as "Why is this hack using a live mic in the studio?"
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

no return policy on mics anywhere!!! Its a law thing with the issue of diseases and all!
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

AT 4033 on E-bay 399.00
Shure SM-7 on E-bay 297.00
Having GearSlutz save me a trip to Guitar Center where I would have some pimple faced geek tell me I can't return a microphone.... priceless.

Thanks!
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Nut

The at3035 is a surprisingly good mic, electret like the 4033, w/ less noise and it looks good, too. The fact that it is less expensive doesn't hurt, either. My 2 cents.
Old 14th May 2006
SRR
Gear Maniac

The 4033 used should only set you back $200~, atleast that is what I paid here on the forsale forum. And the SM7 new is $314 at fullcompass, so with $500 you could get both.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I really like the 4033 on acoustic gtrs, hand percussions, and a few vocals...but like what's been oft said, big old dynamics get the call more times than not for lead vocals...SM7s, RE11, RE16, etc....almost always through ADesigns P1s, EMSilvers, or OSA-Cs...
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Guru

the 4033 is one of my first (budget) mics and pretty much the only one I still use from my first purchase of mics.. A great all around mic IMO.

Glenn
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio
AT 4033 on E-bay 399.00
Shure SM-7 on E-bay 297.00
Having GearSlutz save me a trip to Guitar Center where I would have some pimple faced geek tell me I can't return a microphone.... priceless.

Thanks!
Those of us that work at GC are not all pimple-faced geeks. What really saves you the trip is that we don't carry the 4033 anymore and the sm7 is really hard to come by, a few select stores have them.

Make friends with the GC guys and gals, one of them might have been able to get you the sm7 for that price (sent from another store.)

Rock
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

i have never liked the 4033 much on anything - just too bright for me. OTOH, i quite enjoy the new AT4040 - a much nicer response curve than the 4033, IMO. very hi-fi sounding and works well on all kinds of acoustic instruments.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Nut

Try the CAD Equitech E-100, E-300, & E-350. Good multi-purpose mics that are decently priced.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

Pick up a MXL V67 for vocals too (as low as $53 used). It'll come in handy when the 4033 isn't quite the right fit.
Old 15th May 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217
no return policy on mics anywhere!!! Its a law thing with the issue of diseases and all!
Uh...some dealers will (especially if you talk nice in advance...).

War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search