The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What pair of great old used speakers for my living room/Studio ??
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

What pair of great old used speakers for my living room/Studio ??

Hi guys,

I have a one room studion in my house built around an Tascam M2600 mkII console and a computer recording setup. I am looking for a pair of realatively tough but very sweet sounding old hifi speakers to use while tracking electronic instrunments. Right now the monitoring in that room consists of passive event 20/20s connected either to an alesis RA-100 or Hafler DH-500 and a pair of Bag End 12 inch PA cabs on stands for tracking.

The room is just to small to get much definition out of the Bag Ends and PA speakers were a bad idea for this application. I want to get names of older speakers to look for for this application that would sound great and have a good stereo separation. Something from 300 - 1200.

When I went to recording school we had a pair of Genelec loudspeakers (not nearfields) in the SSL studio that made everything sound good. This is the type of sound I would like to approach on my pitiful not Genelec budget. I have to imagine that the highend slutz have their picks and the lowend sluts do too so let them rip. I am looking for bang for the buck used craftiness or crossovers and multiple speakers bang for the buck. I want to fix this problem and have a great setup for production that I can hear for days on end with full range.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

i really like the old imf transmission line speakers... those can be had for very cheap these days
Old 12th May 2006

I bet you can get a pair of JBL control 1 speakers for cheap. (or maybe a Control 10)

Some of the Infinity stuf from '84-'90 was pretty decent.

Boston Acoustics had some good stuff over the years too.

Other names to look for are Fostex and Celestion.

-tINY

Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

I got a whole set of Fosgate Audionics (Hafler) speakers on ebay for 300 bucks, shipped. These are new, surplus from the Hafler/Fosgate remnants, The set includes 3 D'appolito array dual lf driver monitors and 2 6" single lf driver monitors. They are the same as the Hafler m5 monitors but bigger, and they are nice. They even have a short warranty period.
The set is intended for "home theater," but I have 2 pairs of very good monitors and one spare for a fraction of their value.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

JBL 2600s from the early 90s

mixer friend of mine kept trying to buy them off me for years

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search