Gear Head

cheap rack cases

where can i find them
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

audiopile

these are very nice, not expensive.

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Ca...ducts_page.asp

I purchased several. great people, great prices.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

most good stores should be able to suply road ready cases
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Depends on what you want. Define cheap?

If you want something ordinary, you'll find stuff all over. Also try ebay, Froogle(on google).

If it's something specific google your requirements and see what comes back. You should get a handful of models matching you needs. Then search on THAT particular model and find the best price.

Word of caution: Sadly, when it comes to racks, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Pay attention to the thickness of the wood, especially if going ATA "style". I've gotten some "cheap racks" and while they work, I certainly would NOT go on any tour with them. To the local gig loaded by ME and transported by ME. Yes.

Also if you must have casters, remember you can get some decent casters in Home Depot or Lowes. Just don't get any that or too short or they will be a problem rollling around and could also rough up (Come to a complete stop!) your gear when you hit little bumps on the ground.

Also BEWARE of Shipping. I've found that many a rack dealer will stock it at a low price and then try to rape you on the shipping!

I never thought I'd say this, but also make sure they ship UPS or Fedex. One rack dealer said they only do private freight because they had so many problems. However those carriers are often triple the cost of UPS of Fed ex. Take that FWIW.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Head

they are for light travel I can rebuild some of the cheap ones. I am thinking about building my own thou now
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I bought a 6U Gator road rack from Sweetwater. I think it was around $140. The quality's pretty good - the carry handles aren't as sturdy as they could be, but they get the job done. It also has wheels and a pull handle which is really nice. For the money, it gets the job done.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRather
they are for light travel I can rebuild some of the cheap ones. I am thinking about building my own thou now
If that is an option, do it. Unless you need fully extruded trim w/ the aluminum locking valence and all, it is waaay cheaper to build them. Even so, if you can find a supply of the parts, it's probably cheaper that way still, but be prepared to drop money on a sturdy flight-case.

That beind said, price for rail, wood, and a couple of latches is as close to nothing as you're going to find. You'll spend more money on the cables in the rack than the rack itself, by far.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

not sure if it suits your needs, but i bought one of these and i'm really happy with it. not too expensive and has wheels like a suitcase.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

be careful on ebay. there is a company that goes under ny case company and i think several other companies. they are all over ebay. i bought one of those cases and i think they are total garbage. thin wood bad pop rivets. charges 40$ for shipping and the case is like49$. they line it with thin carpet and like 25$ to upgrade to what i think is cheap garbage thin foam. buyer beware. skb has never let me down.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNY
I bought a 6U Gator road rack from Sweetwater. I think it was around $140. The quality's pretty good - the carry handles aren't as sturdy as they could be, but they get the job done. It also has wheels and a pull handle which is really nice. For the money, it gets the job done.
gator get the job done if you arnt to rough on them but they are at the bottom of the pack. not enough room on the side for gear to breath.
ive tried SKB ive tried Gator and next time im going with road ready
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

"Road Ready" rack cases

I've got about a half dozen of "Road Ready" cases and think they are a great bang for the buck. They are made of 3/8" plywood with excellent hardware and aluminum valences. Check Ebay often for used ones and new ones aren't too badly priced!
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I know it's not what you're looking for but if you're cheap like my kinda cheap, you buy rack rails and get your carpentry on.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

I like the SKB keyboard cases and some of their other specialty cases, but the rack cases are problematic if they will be handled by baggage handlers and rough and ready roadies.

For some unfathomable reason SKB chose not to recess the (rather flimsy) latches on their rack cases. So they get sheared off. I know a touring group that left town with a bunch of brand new SKB cases and came back with a bunch of SKB cases held together by straps.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm not a big fan of Road Ready cases. They're better than SKB and Gator, but not built as sturdy as higher-end lines like R&R, which are practically indestructable.

-Dan.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear
I would not go the "build-your-own" route. I did it, and unless you're good and fast at carpentry, its not worth it considering all the time you put into it.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Head

I just took a chance on a $80 6 space 14" deep OSP case I found from this dealer on eBay. I got to say I'm pretty impressed. They're pretty rugged and made well - esp. for the money. I'm happy at least.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRather
are you going to be flying with it?
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvatar
I'm not a big fan of Road Ready cases. They're better than SKB and Gator, but not built as sturdy as higher-end lines like R&R, which are practically indestructable.

-Dan.
Any of the "real" pro cases are about double what the Road Ready cost. They are more heavy duty than the Road Ready, and I would expect them to be. I've had some of the Road Ready for three years now and have been banged around in trailers for several short tours and weekly gigs and they have held up super and they are built to such close tolerances that any lid I have will go on any case of the same size. I bought a few 10 space new for about $200 and change, I got a few on eBay for $150 or less. SKB and Gator are for weekend warrior bands.
If you are going to fly, buy R&R, Modern, Anvil, etc, don't take any chances!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search