The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cheap Controller-Switcher
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Cheap Controller-Switcher

Hi,
I have an audio card with RCA inputs and outputs. The outputs go to my monitors, but I would like to have a swithcer in between where I could change the output to the headphones, or have both going at the same time. Someone suggested that an equalizer might be able to get away this. Any other cheap solutions? I don't mind if the sound is coloured somewhat coming out of the monitors, at least for the short term. Any advice would be very welcome and certainly appreciated.

Added later -----------------------------

Now I'm wondering if I should just get a cheap mixer, because that might allow me to record in with two inputs and also allow no latency monitoring if I wanted to??? We're throwing out the window here no colouring of sound etc, but I figure this could be considered "bottom end theory" section :0
Thanks,
Jon

Last edited by BouncyJones; 11th May 2006 at 12:54 AM..
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Head

The cheap mixer might be the way to go. It may even give you more options that you didnt expect otherwise such as EQ or routing. Personally, I'd try to make a passive switch from parts from Radio Shack or a local electronics store. It would be the cheapest way to go, but you have to be comfortable working with electronic components. There's basic schematics around the web if you do a search for something like "passive audio switch schematic". Good Luck!
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

SM Pro Audio make a couple of cheepies, do a search on here for people who use them.
there’s the Presonus central station if you can spend the cash

cheep mixers arnt worth while
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Head

I use a Samson C-control it's around $100 US. It's not fancy but it does the job and I don't notice much coloration coming through my monitors from it.
Try this link for more info.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...1650&brandID=2
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap Controller-Switcher-c-control.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search