The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adding 2-track tape machine to 002
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Adding 2-track tape machine to 002

I have maxed out all other inputs/outputs on my 002 but I would like to add a 2-track tape machine to my setup via S/PDIF. What could I use to run from the tape machine into the 002? I already have a Rosetta 800 connected through ADAT, so I don't need something with clocking like the Rosetta 200. Am I even able to run both ADAT AND S/PDIF at the same time? How are you guys with 002's using outboard gear? Thanks for any help, guys.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe I read this wrong, but a tape machine is analog. You can't connect an analog source via S/PDIF.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well... uh... you need another a/d/a converter (stereo)... but what are you trying to do with this? Is it your mixdown medium? Like your 2-track master is going to go high resolution to your 1/4" or 1/2" tape and then you can either send those out as masters or dump back to digital @ 44.1k 16 bit for c.d.s?
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you are trying to attach a two track tape machine to your pro-tools rig to just get two more tracks, I don't think it will ever sync properly.. and correct, you can't connect an analog device to the SP/DIF connector.. you can just connect it to your console though if you have one.. but only for mix down purposes (great way to get a little tape compression on your two mix and glue everything together). But if you are looking to just add two more tracks to pro-tools, get a rosetta 200.. that connects to the SP/DIF and works sp-diffy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search