The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KRK V8II
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

KRK V8II

I'm thinking about buying this monitors... any comments? Or do you know better active nearfields for same price? And last but not least: do you think that you can get pro-sounding mix from this? Thanks!

P. S. I need big bass, and don't wanna buy subwoofer. So Dynaudio BM5A doesn't seems to be the killer for me...

Last edited by siegfried; 10th May 2006 at 04:25 PM..
Old 10th May 2006

The only other ones in that category/price range I would suggest is the Mackies.

Getting your mixing room squared away will probably have more effect than your choice of monitors in getting a good picture of what is going on in the mix.....

-tINY

Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

So it´s far better than for example Tapco S8? I know, it´s for half price, but my previous favorit ,) We are in Low End and I want to be sure
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Head

I picked up a pair of V8II's about 3 months back, was using event 20/20s for the previous 2 years. They're GREAT monitors, my mixes have improved 200%. I spent over a month doing listening tests between the KRK's and Mackie 824s and every time the KRK's took the cake in the low end, I just wanted to be sure! Like others have said, your mixing room is likely more important than the monitors, my control room was entirely redone shortly after buying them, so YMMV depending on the state of your room.
Good Luck!
-Ryan
Old 11th May 2006
Jai guru deva om

The V8II are good speakers, get crazy loud and have plenty of bass. No need for a sub.

War
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY

The only other ones in that category/price range I would suggest is the Mackies.

Getting your mixing room squared away will probably have more effect than your choice of monitors in getting a good picture of what is going on in the mix.....

-tINY

Yes I concur, I put up some thick curtains and a bass baffle to curb unwanted reflections etc and its really wierd, it's like I can now hear the high end for the first time and I can dial in the bottom end in my sleep. It's like I have new monitors, no more fighting to get the balance I do it so easily now. Fixing your room makes an enormous difference to your monitoring. Unbelievable difference in my case too!
Old 11th May 2006

Get the V8 MkIs instead if you possibly can, after comparing the two at a mix session, it's very clear the much more cheaply made IIs are a: not comparable to the original V8s and b: are pretty horrible sounding anyway!!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
Get the V8 MkIs instead if you possibly can, after comparing the two at a mix session, it's very clear the much more cheaply made IIs are a: not comparable to the original V8s and b: are pretty horrible sounding anyway!!
I played some material I know well on V8's (were MkI's) recently. Wow, what a dissapointment... I had expected them to be at least a bit better then what I heard:
Boomy bass, little and undefined highs, no detail.

I'd say, sure try before you buy to see if it fits you
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM
I played some material I know well on V8's (were MkI's) recently. Wow, what a dissapointment... I had expected them to be at least a bit better then what I heard:
Boomy bass, little and undefined highs, no detail.

I'd say, sure try before you buy to see if it fits you

So you can tell that VII is better? I'm not sure that I understood well. Sorry for my bad english ,)

How does VI's costs?

Thanks!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegfried
So you can tell that VII is better? I'm not sure that I understood well. Sorry for my bad english ,)

How does VI's costs?

Thanks!
I haven't heard the V8mkII's. I know I dislike the V8mkI's. According to toolskid (who's opinion I value and trust), the V8mkII's are worse then V8mkI's.

Last edited by DrDeltaM; 11th May 2006 at 02:00 PM..
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Can I buy MkI's? Where? For what price? Does anybody know? Thank you very much!
Old 11th May 2006

Unless you are playing things really loud, the V6 should be enough.

I never put the V8sII through it's paces, but in a quick comparison at Banjo Center, the V6 sounded quite a bit better than the V8.

Of course, Europeans tend to hear flat response as "boomy" and "lacking highs" (just look at the popular high-end home speakers from Germany, Holland, and Denmark). This is not meant as a slight, just a reality check about varying tastes. (by brother loves things bass-heavy from 120Hz down...).

-tINY

Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY
Unless you are playing things really loud, the V6 should be enough.

I never put the V8sII through it's paces, but in a quick comparison at Banjo Center, the V6 sounded quite a bit better than the V8.

Of course, Europeans tend to hear flat response as "boomy" and "lacking highs" (just look at the popular high-end home speakers from Germany, Holland, and Denmark). This is not meant as a slight, just a reality check about varying tastes. (by brother loves things bass-heavy from 120Hz down...).
Funny you say that. I've assisted toolskid on a project a while ago, the studio had V6's. They sounded pretty decent actually yes, defenately better then V8's.

As for the freq response, my PMC TB2S-A's were the reference in calling the V8's boomy and lacking highs and detail. With boomy I also meant the V8's didn't sound tight in the bass. But I agree monitoring is partly a matter of taste.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search