The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Want to try the guitar ;-) Have some questions
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Want to try the guitar ;-) Have some questions

Hi guys

Have seen Goerge Benson playing and always liked how prince was mangling his guitar but i never had the final motivation to start playing and learning to play!

im 27 now and would like to start, i know seem kinda late but no prob for me ;-)

SO my question is , what would be a basic starting setup for learning jazz guitar or funk guitar, or perhaps generally to start with the guitar?

greetz
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Nut

hi wafze,

a warning: guitar playing is very addictive

basic's guitar
  • learn basic chords
  • learn basic technices (spelcheck) like rithem, strumming and fingerpicking etc
6 months
  • learn al beatle songs (from book?), ok not al. the beatles learns you good basics of song structures, chord intervals etc.
6 months
  • learn other music you like (by ear)
whatever it takes

Good luck

Remco
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

thx a lot remco for your answer and help

i have a listen to them especially the beatles one

do you have any tip which type of guitar to buy as a learning guitar?

Thx
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Nut

I always recomment to start with a 'cheap' acoustic guitar and after a year or so buy a proper guitar

Remco
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafze
thx a lot remco for your answer and help

i have a listen to them especially the beatles one

do you have any tip which type of guitar to buy as a learning guitar?

Thx
Well, if you like benson, maybe a jazz box.
The Ibanez AG86
http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-AG86TRD-i280368.music
It has the same body size as bensons and is meant to be very nice.
On ebay, the Ibanez Artocre AF or AG series may be a better option if you aren't sure about sticking with it. The 75 is a fine starter guitar but the 85 is better.

An ES335 is a more versatile guitar and ibanez do these to ( model AS 73/83 I believe)

These are all good starter and mid range guitars.
LOADS on the market. Washburn do good ones too.

Good luck.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

thx a lot remco and morley,

definitely will take a closer look at your suggestions

thx for helping me outthumbsup

George Benson is the man

Last edited by wafze; 10th May 2006 at 11:06 AM..
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

You must know this: acoustic and electric guitar needs completely different playing techniques, so start to play that type which you would like to play finally. But for very very first trying, check cheap acoustic guitar with nylon strings (easier to play than steel-stringed).
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you really want to learn Jazz then get a good jazz guitar teacher.
You'll save a lot of time.

How much music theory do you know?

James

Quote:
Hi guys

Have seen Goerge Benson playing and always liked how prince was mangling his guitar but i never had the final motivation to start playing and learning to play!

im 27 now and would like to start, i know seem kinda late but no prob for me ;-)

SO my question is , what would be a basic starting setup for learning jazz guitar or funk guitar, or perhaps generally to start with the guitar?

greetz
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

james,

basically the fundamental things but only on the keyboard , never played a guitar before, really like jumpin in the cold water, played a little bit with a stratocaster but thats way back. i think the basic things like cords and scale are most important for me right now, i really would like to go that jazz guitar way, but its hard to find a teacher over here

siegfried: thx , i will check if i can get my hands on a cheap accustic one for starting
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
james,

basically the fundamental things but only on the keyboard , never played a guitar before, really like jumpin in the cold water, played a little bit with a stratocaster but thats way back. i think the basic things like cords and scale are most important for me right now, i really would like to go that jazz guitar way, but its hard to find a teacher over here

siegfried: thx , i will check if i can get my hands on a cheap accustic one for starting
I just noticed you were in Germany!
Well, musictorekoeln or thomann usually has great offers. Just get the best deal from them.

If you like benson, go for a semi.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames
If you really want to learn Jazz then get a good jazz guitar teacher.
You'll save a lot of time.

How much music theory do you know?

James
Genau!!! No need to pick up bad habits at the start. heh God knows I have enough of them.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
james,

Siegfried,

Ok, just so I can get an idea of where you are at with music theory- what if I gave you a chord progression of:

Cmaj7 / Am7 / Dm7 / G7

What scales would you improvise over this with?

Do you know what modes are?
Do you know the cicle of 5ths?

If you have a solid grounding in theory then it will be much easier to pick up the mechanics of the guitar if shown properly.
Jazz isn't like rock- it is much harder to get anywhere without the proper grounding and it is much harder for a teacher to help you change bad habits than it is to learn it right the first time.

Where in Germany are you?
I teach in Basel, Switzerland right on the French/German border- at least for the next 3 months.
If you are close and willing to travel I am happy for you to come and have a lesson for free once you have your guitar- if you wish to continue then cool- if not then no harm done. Sorry, I didn't intend this to be an info-mercial.
As far as a guitar goes- I can recommend an Amercian made Fender Telcaster to begin with.
Not too heavy, good intonation (if you get a modern bridge), versatile and good string tension.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yes, if you go for a solid body, a telecaster is a great choice.
The highway 1 tele is a good us made one.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

thx james for your offer,really appreciate it, but i have to pass on your questions :-( ,and i see it right now, im a real beginner , much things that i have to get into my head, ( typical electronic producer makin music only with samplers and drummachines) always tried to avoid these theoretical stuff but know i see i will have to dig into it thumbsup

i will really have to start with a small setup in order to get the basics right and than expand on knowledge, but i will do it, cause im really interested in learning this instrumentstike

im situated in the near of hannover ,northern germany lower saxony

Last edited by wafze; 10th May 2006 at 02:27 PM..
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Ok, you will need to learn this along the way to play jazz.
My best suggestion is start learning some chords and scales from a good rock player and ask him/her to show you chords beyond triads.
Learn inversions of all the triads also.
Learn the diatonic scales in all keys and their modes.
Play chromatic exercises and do guitar calisthenics.

That will take you two years minimum- but it is a fabulous journey.
Listen to jazz a lot- not just guitar jazz, but try to mimic horn players, pianists, organists.

I'm happy to answer questions you might have too- just pm me.

Good luck.

Quote:
thx james for your offer,really appreciate it, but i have to pass on your questions :-( ,and i see it right now, im a real beginner , much things that i have to get into my head, ( typical electronic producer makin music only with samplers and drummachines) always tried to avoid these theoretical stuff but know i see i will have to dig into it thumbsup

i will really have to start with a small setup in order to get the basics right and than expand on knowledge, but i will do it, cause im really interested in learning this instrumentstike
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

thx a lot james, there will be questions coming ,so watch out for your pm ,

really great help! Thx again to all

gearslutz is numero uno

the song which put the magic in my live: breezin- george benson, small tip for everyone , love itthumbsup im out

Last edited by wafze; 10th May 2006 at 02:44 PM..
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames
Siegfried,

Ok, just so I can get an idea of where you are at with music theory- what if I gave you a chord progression of:

Cmaj7 / Am7 / Dm7 / G7

What scales would you improvise over this with?
That would be hybrid mixolydian and devonian, with demented 4ths. Throw in F#s and Gbs every 9th bar.
Old 13th May 2006
Here for the gear

Wafze, are you saying that you have never played guitar before?

I ask this because no-one in this thread has mentioned the steep learning curve with guitar. Over the past 30yrs I have had many people ask me to teach them guitar. The first thing I ask them is - are they prepared to pratice at least 40mins a day for the first year to learn the basics? If not then you are kidding yourself.

So many people give up after just a few weeks because they find it just too hard. They complain that their fingers hurt too much to continue playing, they can't get their fingers to hold the chord positions, their left/right hand coordination sucks bigtime, and that their progress is painfully slow....so they just give up.

Its a cliche, but - nothing worthwhile is ever easy. It you believe you can get past the first few months - develop some calouses on your fingertips, and have a few friends to learn from/jam with, then you will be on your way. A good teacher will save alot of time as well....but you must have that passion to want to improve everyday.

Jazz guitar is hard. The chord shapes/scales etc are hard. I'm not trying to discourage you or put you off, just telling you how it really is.

If you are really committed then, I would buy a strat or telecaster style guitar - they are versatile, won't kill your fingertips like an acoustic guitar will, and there is a huge range available. The Fender Squire range are good value and are often packaged with a small amplifier.

Good Luck with your playing!!!
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

I know someone above said that you should not start out with a steel string acoustic guitar. I disagree. You want to build up strength, endurance and callouses. You do that best with an acoustic steel. (I would get a cutaway acoustic to make it easier to play the higher frets.) I use medium strings, but for a beginner get light strings. I don't recommend steel, though, if you're resolve is weak.
I totally agree with the learning of theory above--the chords, scales, inversions, intervals. Get a metronome for your practice. Don't get a guitar too cheap. You can always sell a guitar. Get something that sounds decent.
Get some good books. Think about blues instead of jazz at first, and then work up to jazz. Chords and scales for Guitarists by David Mead is a good starter book. A very dense but good reference book (with good figures and diagrams) is The Guitar Cookbook.
Do pick some songs that you like and go to GuitarTabsUniverse or some place like that. Get the chords, and learn some songs once you get some chords down and have built your strength up a bit. It will take a while. Be patient.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

hi back again, im currently looking into a used telecaster in order to get me starting
thx james for the big help

youngy:

i never played before, im really starting out with this!
and i m willing to spend time in learning this nice instrument
thx for these motivating words
i will try my best to keep on track, i have heard this chords & hands stuff is really frustrating ! hoping the best thumbsup

thx a lot feyshay i will take a look at the books you mentioned and the type of guitar

great help from all of you so far

if i get it straight with the guitar i will grow my hair like the guitarplayers from whitesnake and get all the chicks perhaps open a new 80s hardrock band

gearslutz rox
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

back from guitarheaven,

feyshay do you know where i could get this book you have mentioned

anyone of you know if there are other good tutorial books for beginners or Tutorial DVDs to get you startin?

Greetz
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've only been playing guitar for a year or so and I'm considerably older than you. I went to music school and keyboard is my main instrument. I've got a great teacher now and I'm having a blast. The hardest thing about going from keyboard to guitar is the visual thing. You can look at a piano and know where middle c is from across the room. On a guitar it's much harder to know where you are visually also the same note shows up all over the fretboard. There's not just one 'middle c'.

Whatever you do, don't buy a cheap guitar. They're generally not set up well (or at all) and are usually made with inferior workmanship and parts. This makes them harder to keep in tune and to play, making it easier to get discouraged. Buy yourself a good instrument (best you can afford) and have it maintained by a competent tech. You should go shopping with an experienced player that you trust and have them help to pick out the instrument.

A word of warning...buying guitars is addictive!

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search