The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mid Range Compressor ? Help !!
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
The 160 (I Know of A, X, and XT versions plus others) are staples on broadcast trucks, and I have been using them for over a decade on upright, acoustic, and DI'd electric bass as well as miked bass cabinet. I find it works well for me and is a good, better than average comp that is incredibly consistent both live and on recordings.

Give me a choice of a 160x and an 1176, ANY VERSION, and I'll take the 1176 hands down. But under 500 bucks? 160 is a solid choice, new, used, or thrown off a truck with missing rack ears.

Give it a try. If you don't like it, you can ALWAYS use it somewhere else, or sell it quickly. And there are many in the used marketplace, from rental houses, post houses, and people upgrading to boutique comps.

Cheers,

Jim
thanks Jim.

one quick question. I've read on other posts that you have an RNLA and VLA. curious as too the RNLA being advertised as a "thicker" comp as compared to the RNC. would you still prefer the dbx's on bass over the RNLA? I'd be curious about your experience with that comp on bass especially id its advertised as more colorful?

thanks
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

I used to see those Urei JBL 7110's for cheap. I've been told to get one so many times now but haven't had the opportunity to try one.

They don't seem to be as cheap as they used to be, probably because they got mentioned around here too much, but might want to keep an eye out.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobalou
thanks Jim.

one quick question. I've read on other posts that you have an RNLA and VLA. curious as too the RNLA being advertised as a "thicker" comp as compared to the RNC. would you still prefer the dbx's on bass over the RNLA? I'd be curious about your experience with that comp on bass especially id its advertised as more colorful?

thanks
I prefer solid state and not tube comps on bass, just personal preference. I prefer a Distressor or an 1176 personally on bass. To get the right flavor, I use the mic choice & placement, pre and EQ- not the comp- to get the flavor I want, and I expect the comp to help keep it in the right place or relation to the other instruments.

Yes the RNLA and VLA are both a little thicker, the tough part is ANY tube comp is limited to its speed in attack and recovery by the tube, as is the RNC, due to AD/DA conversions. It's nit-picky, but for that reason I would PREFER the 160, which I trust, though I would not hesistate to TRY any of the three (VLA, RNC, RNLA, I have two of each) on a bass to see if it has the right 'tude for a given genre or song. I find the RNLA a little gentler, while its easier to push the VLA for a tube bloom- so if you are going that route, I think the VLA offers more options. But I could not live without all of them.

Hope this helps!

Jim
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

I like the Symetrix 501 on bass - certainly better than the RNC, Compellor or my Peavey VC/L-2. I have one and that is its sole purpose in life.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search