The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitor speaker placement
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

Monitor speaker placement

hey guys.. I am curious how exactly to decide the width apart monitor speakers shoud be. I have two KRK V4 monitors about 2.5 feet away from me, and I'm curious how to space them to get the best stereo image.. Any input you have would be appreciated, it seems to me that the bigger the gap.. the wider the image. I just need to know if there's an optimum placement. Thanks

d-
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Place the left and right speakers an equal distance from your prime listening seat, so that the tweeters are at ear level while seated. If you're installing speakers in a wall that's 10 feet from your chair, place them no more than 10 feet apart from each other and no less than 5 feet apart. If the speakers are placed too close together or too far apart from one another, you will not hear a proper stereo effect.
Old 9th May 2006
Rep
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachconnelly
... about 2.5 feet away from me, ...
then Place them about 3 or 4 feet apart ,
no more then that, unless you Move back further.
try to stick to the triangle rule ...

Last edited by Rep; 9th May 2006 at 04:16 PM..
Old 9th May 2006

It depends on the room.....

-tINY

Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think it's more important how the speakers sound in different areas of the room vs. creating a proper stereo image. Try moving them closer and further from the wall, and note the difference it makes, (most likely in the bass region). Let your ears decide what a "proper" stereo image sounds like. But I'd worry more about the freq. response you're getting from the way your speakers are intigrating with the room your in.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDrive
I think it's more important how the speakers sound in different areas of the room vs. creating a proper stereo image. Try moving them closer and further from the wall, and note the difference it makes, (most likely in the bass region). Let your ears decide what a "proper" stereo image sounds like. But I'd worry more about the freq. response you're getting from the way your speakers are intigrating with the room your in.
Very true statement. Also, some monitors actually have a placement filter switch. For example, my secondaries (Bx5's) have a switch for up against the walll placement, desk placement or corner placement.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

your mix position should be 38% back from the front wall and your speakers should form a equalateral triangle from that position. here is a great link.

http://content.grammy.com/PDFs/Recor...rs/5_1_Rec.pdf

Last edited by aetucker1; 10th May 2006 at 08:46 PM..
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Guru

take a read here. goes over placement pretty well. http://www.gikacoustics.com/faq.htm

Glenn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search