The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Talk me out of/Encourage me into a Mix+ system
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Head

Talk me out of/Encourage me into a Mix+ system

What do you guys think of Digidesign Mix Plus systems?
What would the advantages of one of these verses a 001 system i have?
I.E. how much more powerful are the cards verses my Mac...?
( i have a dual gig G4 with 2 gigs of ram)
Anyone know anything about the "adat bridge"?
Would it be possible to use that with a Digimax LT or Mackie 800r as the d/a?
I know the 888's are not so good sounding...
I usually only record at 44.1 maybe 48 if i think itll help anything,
So i dont need 96k or higher.
Im not really interested in getting a NEW system
liiike the new apogee card, nuendo, Cubase, an HD system...
Basically, I have an opportunity to switch out my 001 system and mac and some other gear
and pick up a mix plus system and almost break even...my question is, is it worth it?
I do have my 001 setup crap out once in a while with the
"Your maxed out...remove some plug-ins to continue" which is very frustrating.
This sounded like a solution, but i wanted you alls wisdom and opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th May 2006
Well both MIX and the 001 are legacy / dead boxes now so no gains there. I'd ditch the 001 for a 002 and buy a fast new desktop (should give you more power than a MIX+ system).
Old 9th May 2006
Also yeah, the Adat bridge is cool but you can plug (and will be recommended to by many) an 800R/DIGIMAX/OCTAMIC into a 002 as well. I've thought recently too about upgrading my LE to a mix system, but it's really just not worth investing in unsupported hardware.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Head

OK

Ive already decided against a 002 because i dont really think the new protools software has anything that id need. Id be using the interface as a dongle anyways with outboard conversion so theyd both "sound the same". My main concern was if it was worth it to trade my 001 system for a Mix plus system, or if it would end up being around the same power wise (plugins mostly) i rarely max out the 32 tracks but the 128 tracks is a bonus i suppose...
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I'd suggest dumping protools.. (but I'd suggest that to anyway.. so maybe take i with a grain of salt)... in that price range you should be able to find a reasonable card.. like a firepod or a fireface or something..

the other advantage of changing over to a mix system would be that if you want to move upto HD later you can trade it in..
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

the first question is where is your current system lacking that you feel you need to move?

i dont see a mix system being worthwhile anymore.

if you just want better sound quality add a resetta800 or auora8 and some good pres to your 001. a digimax etc are a mid level solution and is about on par with the 002 converters anyway.

if you want more processing power i would get a 002(r) with PT7. features on PT7 aside the improved processing efficiency helps a lot and you can make use of a duel processor system
running a duel opteron will give more power than you can poke a stick at.
if in the future you decide you need more tracks you can add the MPT to get 48 mono/stereo tracks.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Addict

If you don't have latency compensation, like in Protools Mix+ you'll want to pull your hair out. If LE doesn't have this either, then I would do SX3 or Samplitude and always work Broadcast wave format.

Beez
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you get a Mix + system and buy the old cheapo 888|16 IOs (around $200), you can use the AES/EBU I/Os on them to pass audio (at 24bit) into a great front end such as MYTEK or "..."

Then you're rockin'.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Head

hmm

I was wondering about the aes thing...how do those work? how can you get 8 tracks into the 2 aes inputs?
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a Mix+ rig for a while now. Right now I have a dual 867 G4 and both a 002R and a motu 24 i/o. I would love the DP and 24 i/o combination if it did not kernel panic and crash my system it also freaks out when it gets to the end of it's power. The PTLE works great but I mix otb and I need more then 18 i/o. Right now I am tracking with PT and mixing in DP.

My first thought was to get a new G5 with the hope that it would make DP more stable but I don't know if that would make things any better. Mix+ would cost about the same and I know that it will work.

Best luck,

Reed
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

The 888s have 8 AES/EBU ins and outs.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I just picked up a Mix Plus last week. I have less than $2000 in it total including 2 888/24s, an older glyph unit and an external CD-R. I run it on a beige G3 that was previously the doorstop to my school's pro tools room. The most expensive piece on the computer is the Optical mouse I bought for it.

Today, a hip hop producer brought over a song and it had over 200 files. I had to sort through that mess and determine which takes were useful. It ended up being about 50 tracks. That little G3 worked its butt off for 11 hours straight and didn't even hiccup once.

I was using a Digi 001 before that on one of the "Allenstein" spec'd machines from the DUC and I was constantly running out of CPU power or dealing with general unstability.

Just for fun I thought I would see how many RTAS plugins I could run on the old G3. I was able to run 2 instances of the waves C4. Go G3!!

I love the fact that there is no latency when tracking. It's nice to have 2 guitar players and a bass player plug into Amp Farm and track together as a band. It may be a "dead" system but it offers so much bang for the buck. Buy an old Expansion chassis and load it up with farm cards and you're in plugin heaven.

Just my .02
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Head

Does the Mix Plus have any latency when using plug-ins on the tracks?
Also, do RTAS plugs use any of the power on the cards?
Is it really hard to run out plugs with only one farm?
I have no idea how much those can handle...
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rqrstudio
Does the Mix Plus have any latency when using plug-ins on the tracks?
Also, do RTAS plugs use any of the power on the cards?
Is it really hard to run out plugs with only one farm?
I have no idea how much those can handle...
Mix Plus Plugins do introduce varying degrees of delay. To compensate for this, you can use a delay compensation plug or simply nudge the track forward in time.

RTAS plugs are host based, and have nothing to do with the PCI cards.

Your last question really depends on which plugs you use and how many. You can handle a good amount of plugs with one core and one farm plus a decent computer for your rtas, but try using a couple of instances of a convolution reverb and you'll grind it to a halt.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
What do you guys think of Digidesign Mix Plus systems?
What would the advantages of one of these verses a 001 system i have?
I.E. how much more powerful are the cards verses my Mac...?
( i have a dual gig G4 with 2 gigs of ram)
Anyone know anything about the "adat bridge"?
Would it be possible to use that with a Digimax LT or Mackie 800r as the d/a?
I know the 888's are not so good sounding...
I usually only record at 44.1 maybe 48 if i think itll help anything,
So i dont need 96k or higher.
Im not really interested in getting a NEW system
liiike the new apogee card, nuendo, Cubase, an HD system...
Basically, I have an opportunity to switch out my 001 system and mac and some other gear
and pick up a mix plus system and almost break even...my question is, is it worth it?
I do have my 001 setup crap out once in a while with the
"Your maxed out...remove some plug-ins to continue" which is very frustrating.
This sounded like a solution, but i wanted you alls wisdom and opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Mix Plus is great. I've done several major label projects on one (tracking and editing). The cards will exponentially increase the processing power of your rig.
The 888/24s sound fine (as long as you don't put them next to a 192io). Try clocking them to a good clock, it'll do wonders. The adat bridge can be used with any of the pres you mentioned that output adat lightpipe. While both the Mix Plus and the 001 are legacy products, the Mix Plus was supported up until PT 6.4. I don't think the 001 made it that far. If you can do it and break even then go for it. Sorry if any of this has been said, I didn't read the whole thread...
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadvox
Mix Plus is great. I've done several major label projects on one (tracking and editing). The cards will exponentially increase the processing power of your rig.
The 888/24s sound fine (as long as you don't put them next to a 192io). Try clocking them to a good clock, it'll do wonders. The adat bridge can be used with any of the pres you mentioned that output adat lightpipe. While both the Mix Plus and the 001 are legacy products, the Mix Plus was supported up until PT 6.4. I don't think the 001 made it that far. If you can do it and break even then go for it. Sorry if any of this has been said, I didn't read the whole thread...
the 001 was supported until 6.4
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Head

Ok thanks everyone for all your info!
I think my biggest gripe was plug-in power,
With the 001 only having rtas. What is the
biggest influence over rtas plug in power?
ram or CPU??
If i go from 2 gigs to 4 gigs of ram should i be ok?
I think the cost and simplicity of doing this would
be the deciding factor.
Im at the point where when im REALLY close to having
as many plug ins as i need but i seems after all the editing
and automation, when im on my final mix and put maybe
an r-comp on the mix buss it pushes it over the edge,..
Adding 2 gigs of ram I THINK would solve this...yeah?
After that and some apogee converters i think
ill be where i want to be...
Old 16th May 2006

Quote:
Ok thanks everyone for all your info!
I think my biggest gripe was plug-in power,
With the 001 only having rtas. What is the
biggest influence over rtas plug in power?
ram or CPU??
If i go from 2 gigs to 4 gigs of ram should i be ok?
I think the cost and simplicity of doing this would
be the deciding factor.
Im at the point where when im REALLY close to having
as many plug ins as i need but i seems after all the editing
and automation, when im on my final mix and put maybe
an r-comp on the mix buss it pushes it over the edge,..
Adding 2 gigs of ram I THINK would solve this...yeah?
After that and some apogee converters i think
ill be where i want to be...
I don't think you should switch for the simple fact that:

1. it's not a step up, but a step sideways...

2. you will have to upgrade your plugins to TDM versions, which are generally twice the price of the native equivalents.

You are better off getting a 002Rack and a fast computer with a couple gigs of ram.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

past 2Gb RAM wont help at for more plug-ins unless they are soft synths/samplers.
if power is your main issue then upgrade your computer then look at a 002(r)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search