The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass compressor / effects
Old 8th May 2006
Here for the gear

Question Bass compressor / effects

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a nice transparent sounding compressor to use live with electric bass. I currently use just an ART Tube MP preamp into a digital parametric EQ and a Crown 1200 watt power amp. I'm basically looking for something around $200 - so far I have checked out the BBE MaxCom and the dbx units around the same price.

However, I'm also looking for a unit to do reverb for my guitar preamp as well. Would it be wise to get a digi multi effects rack unit to do both compression and reverb, or would that not supply a satisfying compression? As far as these multieffects racks go, I've seen the Lexicon Mx200 and TC Electronic M300 (or possibly the G-Major) in my price range. Does anyone have any thoughts on these units or some other reasonably priced alternatives? Thanks.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

If you're gonna use them live, why not look into a couple of nice pedals? A lot of the decent pedals are far superior to cheaper rackmount stuff, and can be had for very good prices.

Try looking here: http://musictoyz.com/guitar/index_gtrpedal.php

They have plenty of rackmount stuff to look at, too.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

don't get a multi-effects box, if you ask me. the compressors on them rarely work well, and it's extraordinarily difficult to make changes when playing live. i second raggedy's recommendation -- try out some of the pedal based compressors and verbs. you can probably clock in around $200 and be very happy.

nick
Old 9th May 2006

Alright, let me get my flame-suit on....

The Alesis 3630 works fine for bass compression in a live rig. Take your extra money and get something nice for your guitar.

-tINY

Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

I have used the Digitech Bass Squeeze, and it become known as the Tone Eraser. Horrible pedal. I then went to an Alesis NanoComp, which I believe is just half of a 3630. Even when bypassed, there was notiable reduction in bass frequencies. It did not do the job at all. Just terrible.

I wanted a nicer one/rackmount one so I had more control over what it was doing (the Digitech had an auto-makeup gain that created a lot of noise, in addition to its general suckiness). At this point, I'm not willing to drop $200 or more to try out something else, as it's not crucial for my live rig. The Boss Compressor pedal gets good reviews, but I think that's from guitar players looking for sustain and shredding assistance.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

The little black Maxon is a good box. Tried it out once with my bass player, sounded ok to me. It's also fairly subtle.
Old 9th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetron5000
I have used the Digitech Bass Squeeze, and it become known as the Tone Eraser. Horrible pedal. I then went to an Alesis NanoComp, which I believe is just half of a 3630. Even when bypassed, there was notiable reduction in bass frequencies. It did not do the job at all. Just terrible.

The 3630/nanocomp is a line level device. Using it in front of the pre amp is not a good idea. Some units have been reported as having a DC offset issue. Mine does not exhibit this.

It's not a "great" comp, but it has full controls and it works fine for things without sharp transients.

-tINY

Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm not a big fan of playing bass live with a compressor trough your rig. Leave compression to the FOH guy.

but... if I *had* to play with compression on my monitoring signal I'd choose an EBS. Very versatile and easy to set up.

That or a LA-2A

Herwig
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Get EBS MultiComp - it is very musical compressor.

AaPee

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search