The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can somebody explain why they hate the d8b?
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Head

Can somebody explain why they hate the d8b?

It was the 2nd board I ever used after the Sony DMX-R100. I personally liked it aside from when the HDR System froze, which was often. But what else about it sucks. We did some great projects on it.

Please add your 2 cents.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilioMJunior
It was the 2nd board I ever used after the Sony DMX-R100. I personally liked it aside from when the HDR System froze, which was often. But what else about it sucks. We did some great projects on it.

Please add your 2 cents.
I thought the EFX were pretty wack on it. The editing was cheesy too. But you get automation. It might be ok for recording bands and what not but I need the flexibility of a DAW for doing the production stuff I do. Oh and the gain stage is not the most beautiful thing either.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

I always thought the convertors sounded a little thin and narrow. But with some good conversion, the interface was impossible to beat.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggedy
I always thought the convertors sounded a little thin and narrow. But with some good conversion, the interface was impossible to beat.
I agree about the converters. I agree with firby that the EFX sounded pretty damn thin and it feels a bit flimsy. But for the price you can get it for second-hand, the features it has, and the interface... it is a great option.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Here at UWW, our d8b refuses to sync with Pro Tools anymore. Sometimes its mouse works, sometimes it doesn't. We may end up rearranging our studios and use the d8b as nothing more than a front end. A waste of potential, I know, but if it won't do what it's supposed to, then we'll do what we can with it. And yes, we've worked with both Mackie and Digi on this issue to no avail. Also have had these problems on more than one mac.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

The routing can be a pain, but that's usually the case with low-end digital consoles. I've never used the internal effects, but when I've heard them, they haven't done much for me, anyway.

I hate that there's no slate feature for the talkback and no way to process the stereo buss. The one time I ever used the automation, it was a total pain for me, but I know people who really love it.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
....and no way to process the stereo buss.
If you have a UFX card you could do it with Final Mix and the Massenburg stereo parametric quite nicely. No master buss inserts for any external is kind of a bummer. The console needs some outside verbs for certain. The MFX verb can be OK if tweaked.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search