The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behritones vs Avantones? Studio Monitors
Old 7th February 2012
Master Sound

Behritones vs Avantones?

How better/worse are behritones compared to Avantone?

I've used Avantones at a studio once and I think it's a great tool.
I've never used Behritones.

BEHRITONE | Sweetwater.com

What do you think?
Old 7th February 2012
Lives for gear

I think you try them both and make a decision based on what your ears hear.
The only reason people consider the Behringer product is price. IMO of course.
Old 7th February 2012
Old 7th February 2012
Master Sound

Old 7th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteringdigital View Post
Thank you friends
I asked if anyone has experience with both products mentioned?
doubt it.

most people aren't going to do a monitor "test" for these types of speakers, there's not really a huge benefit to doing so IMVHO.

get one, make your mixes sound good on your nearfields and these, and call it \

FWIW, I have the Avantone Mix Cube mono powered driver. It's a "game changer" in the way I approach mixing now and fitting things together, night and day difference in mixes before/after using them. I suspect the Behritones will give you the same results.... just in a far cheaper box/build.

I personally opt for the longer lasting, better looking one. Notice no mention of better sounding as that's not the reason for using a mono single driver speaker source.
Old 7th February 2012
Gear Head

I have used both.. They are both bad sounding in a good way. Avantones build quality is very good. Behringers good.
Old 7th February 2012
Master Sound

Which model did you try
Behringer Behritone C50A or
Behringer Behritone C5A?
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

Got my Behritone C50A yesterday and I am blown away how much this speaker reveals. Lack of transient response? Not at all. I can now focus on the midrange, especially 1-3 KHz. Very good mastered music really sounds good on these and not dull. But also, too much ess sounds from the voice can be identified as well. Everything sounds less impressive than over the mains. So thats a very good sepaker to compare your mix against the very best. Too hard kicks will sound too hard.
Old 8th February 2012
Master Sound

This is good news
Thank you!
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteringdigital View Post
Thank you friends
I asked if anyone has experience with both products mentioned?

Quote:
Yes, I've tried both. In his reply, elmolemon linked to an article I wrote (thanks!) that directly compares the two.

Hope that helps. If you have any additional questions, I'm happy to tell you whatever I can.
Old 8th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
Got my Behritone C50A yesterday and I am blown away how much this speaker reveals. Lack of transient response? Not at all. I can now focus on the midrange, especially 1-3 KHz. Very good mastered music really sounds good on these and not dull. But also, too much ess sounds from the voice can be identified as well. Everything sounds less impressive than over the mains. So thats a very good sepaker to compare your mix against the very best. Too hard kicks will sound too hard.
Lol every time I vow to just fork over more $$$ for the Avantones, I come across a thread or review like this and go...f*ck it maybe the Behritones are "good enough".

The two reviews posted above don't speak to highly of the Behri's though :(

Any other opinions since this thread went quiet?
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

Have to admit I'm pretty torn between buying the Behringer C15a's and the Avantone Mixcubes to go with my Neumann KH120's!??

Any more current user experiences??
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_ending View Post
doubt it.

most people aren't going to do a monitor "test" for these types of speakers, there's not really a huge benefit to doing so IMVHO.

get one, make your mixes sound good on your nearfields and these, and call it \
That's what I TRIED to do....

A few years ago - and after a long delay after the initial announcement - Avantone finally released the active Mixcubes. I got a pair but only experienced problems: The 230V version came with US plugs, there was some serious hum going on.

The hum was really bothering me and I eventually stopped using the Avantones because nobody could offer a solution, least of all Avantone.

And sometime later there was the big announcement that a new and improved () version was being developed. Basically improving what should have been there to begin with and jacking up the price too of course. You may sense that I was slightly disappointed.

Anyway, as a tool the Avatones were very useful, especially so when using a single monitor in mono.

When the Behringtone came out I thought it was worth a try. And you know what? Not only are those very affordable, they also are much better made than the Mixcubes I had before. No hum even though there isn't a seperate PSU like on the Mixcube.

SOS mag ran a test a while ago and there conclusion was that the Mixcubes are 'better' than the Behringtones with a bigger spectrum, etc. I thought that this review was rather strange because the idea of the monitor is certainly a worst-case scenario and not making final mix decisions. If I remember correctly, the SOS reviewer complained about the rather steep low-end cut-off point on the Behringtone. Well, maybe I'm missing something but that's the very idea of using a speaker like that I think.

It's like Fender issuing a Johnny Marr signature Jaguar that costs $ 2500 or something. I like Johnny Marr very much but turning a low-end 'entry level' guitar (even one that sounds ultra-cool and became central to the surf-sound aesthetic) into a shiny custom shop thing just seems ridiculous to me.

That's how I feel about the whole Avantone thing but I certainly would be more favorable in my take on them if I hadn't those annoying hum issues.

All I can say is that my single Behringtone works extremely well for what I use it for. I mostly only stay on it for a short while as a 'second opinion' (my other monitors are Genelec 8040s and 'vintage' K+H OYs).

Works great and at that price point it's a total no-brainer.

It might be hard to admit but I had the same experince with my super-cheap Behringer headphone amps that I used for almost 10 years now: Not a single problem, very solid construction, very workable sonics.
Old 8th October 2012
Gear maniac

Justin - really well written review. Very useful. Thanks.
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

I had the opportunity to hear the Avantones and thought they were nice. They did what they are supposed to do which is to imitate the original Auratones but extending the frequency response a bit. I wanted this type of speaker in my room but the price tag seemed excessive to me. I decided to bite the bullet and try the more expensive BEHRINGER C50s in my room. They cost about $200 and looked great when I saw them in person. There was nothing flimsy looking about them. Something to be aware of is that they need some break in time. They sounded a bit more boxy when they arrived. After about 2 weeks of use their frequency response got taller and they started to image better. I've had the Behritones for quite a while now and they get used about equal time with a pair of Focal Twins. This is the type of speaker that let's you know if you have enough bass or kick in the mix, or if anything in the midrange is overpowering anything else. Amazing for balancing a mix. Ive had no problems of any kind with them and they are essential for me. Highly recommended
Old 8th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Have to admit I'm pretty torn between buying the Behringer C15a's and the Avantone Mixcubes to go with my Neumann KH120's!??

Any more current user experiences??
Ill be running the same monitors ill hopefully be picking up some mix cubes in the next few weeks to go w/ the Neumanns
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear
I own the Avantones, and i like them very much

I can't comment on the Behritones, but i guess they're not that much better or worse
Old 10th October 2012
Gear Addict

I have a set of Auratone 5c's. There is a reason these things came back in a newer form.
I love them so much.
I haven't heard either of the others but if you respect ANY equipment manufactures of gear please never buy anything Berringer makes. They have tried to rip off (unsuccessfully) every valid manufacture.
Bunch of rip off if you ask me. Which you didn't, Just sayin!
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

I really do get the animosity that people have toward Behringer but I've had the Behritones for quite a while now and never had any problems with them. The only other piece that I've owned was the intelligate (3 units) and that has never given me problems either. They are being used in a small live sound rig for the past 8 years with zero issues. Guess I've been lucky
Old 10th October 2012
Gear Addict

I think you missed the theme of my post. I may get reprimanded for my post. The theme is if you respect the research, time and money reputable companies put into their products don't buy from someone ripping them off. If a company is trying to replicate something not in production anymore that's one thing if a company is ripping off reputable current products have some respect. it doesn't mean the rip offs won't work.
You decide. you can go drive a few nails if nessary and buy the real thing.
Peace and love to all my fellow slutz.
Old 10th October 2012
Gear Addict

Maybe my post is confusing because Aurarones aren't produced anymore but it still is a support of a rouge company.

Sent from my Desire HD
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

Ordered the Mixcubes yesterday. Should be here later today
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

Old 10th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Arts View Post
I have a set of Auratone 5c's. There is a reason these things came back in a newer form.
I love them so much.
I haven't heard either of the others but if you respect ANY equipment manufactures of gear please never buy anything Berringer makes. They have tried to rip off (unsuccessfully) every valid manufacture.
Bunch of rip off if you ask me. Which you didn't, Just sayin!

Music Group, of which Behringer is a part of, is one of the largest audio equipment manufacturing organisations out there.

How is that unsuccessful? Just askin'
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
I think he's referring to Behringer's practice of copying other manufacturer's designs, changing a few things and selling their version for substantially less money. It seems to me that Behringer, because of their purchase of Midas, an extremely well established brand have been trying to develop a little more credibility. Their products have (in the past) been plagued with all sorts of QC issues but based on what a good friend of mine that works @ Full Compass those issues seem to be happening less. To Omega Arts, I do see your point but I honestly thought that given the nature of the speaker the Avantone version was a simply too expensive and no, I don't agree with the business model that's made Behringer successful but I also didn't think that paying at least twice the price for something that (once broken in) sounds virtually identical made a lot of sense. Right now, the way things are (economy wise) I weighed my options and the Behritones won.
Old 11th October 2012
Gear nut

For what it's worth; I ordered the active Avantones recently and I've been pretty blown away by them. The build quality is just amazing. At Arcadium we use the AKG LSM-50s (which are Auratone copies) and, as useful as they are, they don't have a patch on the Avantones.
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

I received the Mixcubes yesterday and am also extremely impressed with my first impressions! The build quality is top notch and on first listen they are so revealing as to what's lacking in my mixes!

I'm using them on a mixing session over the next two or three days and will let you know how I get on! Unfortunately I will not have time to burn them in so hopefully with time they will get even better!
Old 11th October 2012
Gear addict

Are you guys using a single mixcube for mono reference monitoring? Or buying the pair?
Old 11th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick87 View Post
Are you guys using a single mixcube for mono reference monitoring? Or buying the pair?
I use mono, and think stereo is a tad defeating the purpose.

So I have the mixcube, but if you think about the whole point of the grot box, I can't imagine the Behringer wouldn't do the job perfectly. If it had been available when I bought mine, I probably would have gone that way.
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick87 View Post
Single mono here also...though I gotta admit, having the pair of the cream colored Avantones looks pretty cool
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search