The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME ADI-8 Pro D/A Section Verses Central Station D/A
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

RME ADI-8 Pro D/A Section Verses Central Station D/A

I need the features of the central station or a Mackie big Knob, do you think the D/A of the older RME is superior to the central stations D/A if i choose the passive Cs over the mackie?
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Conversion has been getting better and better these days, both should be fine. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that RME's conversion might be a little better, but I don't know this for scientific fact. So...sorry for the useless post.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have ADI-8s (one DS, one 'Pro FWIW) and recently added the CS. I'm still running the ADI as master including clock and main monitor D/A, but not for sound issues. A monitor upgrade here has had me fairly saturated relearning everything (as in, completely turned upside down for a while ) so as I've only casually listened to the CS's D/A.

But I will say that I went with the CS because it was passive and, maybe this is only slightly relevant, it replaced a Mackie 24-8 in the monitor path (if you get my insinuation here). That alone was a clear step up not even to mention the other routing and noise problems it solved.
So if you did go that way, you'd have either option, and the time to really settle in on it.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

This thread got me thinking about this (the D/A issue) again. I have to add that I was not looking for D/A' up-grade and good switching for $500. And, note there is no clock (or SPDIF) output with which to run your system with CS on 'internal and master'. Although I should first do some serious listening to see if I can hear it, if you follow Mr. Lavry's logic (makes plenty on sense to me but WTF do I know ) there's at least a possible technical strike built right in. So unless I repatch, I'll be comparing ADI' on internal vs CS clocked to the ADI, >ADAT >Dakota, DAW to Dakota SPDIF to CS.
Interesting. Doesn't look like a fair fight.
We'll see yes?
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Addict

interesting stuff! i would have to think the RME's D/A section is superior to the Central Staion? the RME is definetly an improvement over my digi001.

one thing I still have trouble understanding is,: would the mackie big knob really muck up a signal from the RME as been reported by some users?

eventually I'd like to add a 2 channel A/D D/A to my rig, (Rosetta 200, mytek, etc.)and keep the RME for the rest of my drum pre's. I really need the channel switching of something like the big knob. i wasnt expecting to dump the extra cash on a central station for its added D/A section, if it wasnt an improvement over my RME?
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Addict

I've got a multiface II going into the CS, and after extensive switching between the D/A of the RME and the D/A of the Central Station I came to the conclusion that they sound virtually identical. Certainly not different enough to have any effect on your listening or mixing. The D/A on the Central Station is surprisingly good, the routing and features are great, and it's a solid little box. Fanstastic buy for $500 (can be found for $400).
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobalou
...one thing I still have trouble understanding is,: would the mackie big knob really muck up a signal from the RME as been reported by some users?
To be fair (and clear) I didn't try the Big Knob. For that final stage short and minimal is a nice thing though.

http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthr...hlight=central
'mixsit' near the bottom of the page...
Wayne
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Addict

what gets me thinking is the current technology regarding converters, even in an all in one box like the central station. I've read many articles that say units like the digi 001, 002, etc., skimp in the D/A section to save money in manufacturing thus that being there weakest lin?

would an RME ADI-8 Pro's D/A or a Lucid DA9824 both being older high end pro gear compare equally to todays mid level pieces like a central station or even some of the newer budget D/A's?
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

The RME ADI-8 is better than the 002s DA, i wouldnt say the difference is huge but it does add up when mixing in analogue. still you need to have everything else right before you notice a big difference in AD or DA.
in this case as you are primarily looking for a monitor controller get the CS then if you feel you need more channels get the RME (or better) later on.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Addict

Yeah aussie,

I already own the RME and was looking for a controller for it (big knob or central st.) . my thinking was, if the Central Stations D/A was just as good or better, I'd rather use the CS D/A out of my digi001 via spdif as apposed to the RME via lightpipe.

the chain consisting of the adat out of my pci card to the RME's D/A section and then to my speakers creates a smidge too much latency for me when tracking. there's a low latency off feature on my 001 that locks down the latency well under the 128 buffer setting, but its only active via the main analog/spdif outs, not the adat optical outs.

thought I might kill two birds with one stone by going with the cental st if the D/A is equal or better.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobalou
one thing I still have trouble understanding is,: would the mackie big knob really muck up a signal from the RME as been reported by some users?
lets just say that using my layla 3g the mackie and central station are night and day
central station on top
Old 15th July 2019
Here for the gear

Revive is now doing a mod to the CS for $179.00. Upgrades the DA’s and let me tell you, when you get it back you will have something that sounds like the avocet. I love it now. Before I was using the DA’s on my HD io. These guys are awesome at what they do.
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneStrings View Post
Revive is now doing a mod to the CT for $179.00. Upgrades the DA’s and let me tell you, when you get it back you will have something that sounds like the avocet. I love it now. Before I was using the DA’s on my HD io. These guys are awesome at what they do.
"CT"?
Not that I use the D/A on it, I found the site, thinking Central Station maybe but..?

Links are nice..
https://www.reviveaudio.com/index.ph...egory&path=103
Old 15th July 2019
Here for the gear

CS. Sorry typo
Old 15th July 2019
Here for the gear

Yes that’s the site. But you have to call them and request this mod. It’s not on the site for some reason

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search