The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
best detailed headphones (cans) for editing/mastering
Old 28th January 2012
best detailed headphones (cans) for editing/mastering

Hey guys,

I decide to get 2 headphones , 1 for editing/composing and another for mixing and mastering.

so the first 1 for editing should preferably be open/semi-opened back 1 as i want to get a very detailed pin-pointed and wide sounding headphone here , that's not bassy(muddy) or have exaggerated treble , i want it to be well balanced and detailed in the most way and preferably not coloured so it wont lie to me in any range

for that 1 im contemplating between these cans:

1-Sennheiser HD650-600
2-Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro
3-Akg k702-701
4-Akg k240 mkii

the other 1 for mixing (reference) should be closed back for sound isolation and is preferred to be very detailed and not coloured in any-way so that it pin-points the slightest mistakes , and of-course it mustn't leak any sound

my choices so far for that can are:

1-Shure SRH940
2-Shure SRH840
3-Sony 7509HD
4-ATH-M50/s
5-AKG K271MKII

i have the RME HDSPe AIO interface that i think she be ok for firing up any of these cans without any external amp(or may be not im just assuming), and im willing to pay more for the editing/composing can to be honest as this is my field xD

i have a 1-1.2k budget for these headphones

so what do u guys think? any recommendations would be much much appreciated, even if any1 knows a can out of these lists above and they can perform better plz share your thoughts
Old 28th January 2012
Gear Addict

Hi fito,

The Sennheiser HD650 headphones are sublime. The only (very slight) slight criticism I would offer of the HD650 is that they can sometimes sound strong in the lower mids, but they never sounds less than open with a sweet, natural top that has to be heard to be appreciated.

By comparison, I find the ATH-M50 hyped in the top, lower bass, and light in lower mids. They sound OK (and the value is really pretty good) but when compared to the Sennheiser I find them sorely very hyped and peaky.

FWIW, I happily use the HD650s for both editing/composing and checking mixes.

You will, however, need a good amount of juice to run the HD650s. The headphone amp in my RME Multiface is OK, but I never use that. I have to run at ca 3-4 o'clock on my D-Box to get the volume I need, but they sound fantastic. If you need a lot of volume, you might want to look into a headphone amp.
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

Grado & sennheiser
Or use the search function
Old 28th January 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by at4033 View Post
Hi fito,

The Sennheiser HD650 headphones are sublime. The only (very slight) slight criticism I would offer of the HD650 is that they can sometimes sound strong in the lower mids, but they never sounds less than open with a sweet, natural top that has to be heard to be appreciated.

By comparison, I find the ATH-M50 hyped in the top, lower bass, and light in lower mids. They sound OK (and the value is really pretty good) but when compared to the Sennheiser I find them sorely very hyped and peaky.

FWIW, I happily use the HD650s for both editing/composing and checking mixes.

You will, however, need a good amount of juice to run the HD650s. The headphone amp in my RME Multiface is OK, but I never use that. I have to run at ca 3-4 o'clock on my D-Box to get the volume I need, but they sound fantastic. If you need a lot of volume, you might want to look into a headphone amp.
thanks for the reply mate thats really helpful

i back u up with the high bass in the HD-650 , iv heard that quiet alot from ppl owning this can and this for me is kinda a deal-breaker because it will make me edit a lil light bass until i understand this can, but in overall this can is a master-piece. how about the HD600 ? i heard it delivers the same performance as the 650 but with more flat bass .

im a fan of shure and ath aswell , and about the amp , i wont need to pump up the volume to nuts levels , but i want reasonable volumes with the option to go loud cuz it sometimes help(sometimes). so if thats the deal and an amp is needed do u recommend any?
Quote:
Originally Posted by traumerei1838 View Post
Grado & sennheiser
Or use the search function
could u specify which model of sen and grado ? preferably one open and one closed.

iv done lots of searching but nothing answered my question
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

HD600 all the way.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman View Post
HD600 all the way.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
thanks for ur opinion any cans for tracking?
Old 28th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fito_88 View Post
thanks for the reply mate thats really helpful

i back u up with the high bass in the HD-650 , iv heard that quiet alot from ppl owning this can and this for me is kinda a deal-breaker because it will make me edit a lil light bass until i understand this can, but in overall this can is a master-piece. how about the HD600 ? i heard it delivers the same performance as the 650 but with more flat bass .

im a fan of shure and ath aswell , and about the amp , i wont need to pump up the volume to nuts levels , but i want reasonable volumes with the option to go loud cuz it sometimes help(sometimes). so if thats the deal and an amp is needed do u recommend any?
High bass? No, theyre light in the bass (the HD650) ... What he said was they have a lil more in the low mids. Also, you said you want closed cans without coloration for mixing....i would definitely suggest Open cans for your mixing cans. The HD650 or others youve suggested with work great for both editing and mixing. I have a pair of HD640s and like them a lot... For tracking and other thongs, i also have ath-m50, senn hd280pro and akg 271... Like all of them for dif reasons...if i could only have one, id keep the senn 280 cause i find tey have the best isolation for tracking...but its personal pref.
Anyway, im no guru but the hd650s were a good investment for me... When i first got them, i wasnt totally sold. Adter a few weeks, i had become confident that they were a great choice. I wear them for hours without it annoying/hurting my head or wars, and the aound is very nice/useful... As always, the more options to reference the better
Old 28th January 2012
Here for the gear

The DT 880 PRO's are great. I use them often and they really have excellent reference capabilities. I am wearing them right now :D. They are super comfortable. The cans completely transformed my mixes and are well worth the investment. They are true to the source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekells View Post
High bass? No, theyre light in the bass (the HD650) ... What he said was they have a lil more in the low mids. Also, you said you want closed cans without coloration for mixing....i would definitely suggest Open cans for your mixing cans. The HD650 or others youve suggested with work great for both editing and mixing. I have a pair of HD640s and like them a lot... For tracking and other thongs, i also have ath-m50, senn hd280pro and akg 271... Like all of them for dif reasons...if i could only have one, id keep the senn 280 cause i find tey have the best isolation for tracking...but its personal pref.
Anyway, im no guru but the hd650s were a good investment for me... When i first got them, i wasnt totally sold. Adter a few weeks, i had become confident that they were a great choice. I wear them for hours without it annoying/hurting my head or wars, and the aound is very nice/useful... As always, the more options to reference the better
so ur 2 cents will go for the HD650 for editing/composing and mixing (reference) , and sen hd280 pro for tracking and isolation ? do u reckon they better than the sony mdr7509hd?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschwake View Post
The DT 880 PRO's are great. I use them often and they really have excellent reference capabilities. I am wearing them right now :D. They are super comfortable. The cans completely transformed my mixes and are well worth the investment. They are true to the source.
hear lot of great story about them aswell ! if uv tried the hd650 could u tell me which 1 is more detailed and flat ?

also do i need an amp for it or just my rme is enuf?
Old 28th January 2012
Here for the gear

Just got some KRK KNS 8400s. Nice and flat, good low end and crisp highs. Well worth the price tag
Old 28th January 2012
Gear Addict
Ultrasone Pro 750 - very detailed and about as close to "flat" as you're going to find <$600. The design pulls the drivers away from my ears a little to bring the stage a little out of my head & more in front, not a dramatic effect, but makes em sound a little less like cans. HD650 are great but I find them uncomfortable - clamping too hard to my head, I know that's how they're designed, but it rules out longer sessions for me. I like DT-880 as well. AKG 701/702 are also a great choice.

IMO cans for tracking should be closed and the more open ones for mixing. Not sure I would use phones for mastering at all - personal opinion only.

Last edited by yosefTux; 28th January 2012 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: typo
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosefTux View Post
Ultrasone Pro 750 - very detailed and about as close to "flat" as you're going to find <$600. The design pulls the drivers away from my ears a little to bring the stage a little out of my head & more in front, not a dramatic effect, but makes em sound a little less like cans. HD650 are great but I find them uncomfortable - clamping too hard to my head, I know that's how they're designed, but it rules out longer sessions for me. I like DT-880 as well. AKG 701/702 are also a great choice.

IMO cans for tracking should be closed and the more open ones for mixing. Not sure I would use phones for mastering at all - personal opinion only.
back u up with the last point , but since my room is not treated yet i wont invest in monitors so ill just live with cans until i move in a proper room for treatment.

any tracking cans though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchie View Post
Just got some KRK KNS 8400s. Nice and flat, good low end and crisp highs. Well worth the price tag
great choice bro ! where did u get this from though ?

and do u know any where that sells used or second hand gear in melbourne?
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

2 sets wastes your money, you are better off spending the wad on one really good set. Understand though that there is no such thing as a mastering headphone, it just doesn't work. Stax, at about $2500 a pair, are as close as you'll get, but it is not close enough. The upper tier Grados are good, the cheap phones are not. Beyer has always built great phones, as has Sennheiser. The Ultrasones didn't do anything for me that I could not get cheaper from Beyer or Sennheiser, but there are courses for horses.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosefTux View Post
Ultrasone Pro 750 - very detailed and about as close to "flat" as you're going to find <$600. The design pulls the drivers away from my ears a little to bring the stage a little out of my head & more in front, not a dramatic effect, but makes em sound a little less like cans. .
+1 on the Ultrasone 750 for detail, great for editing. One of the most detailed 'phones I've ever heard.
For mixing and mastering, I really like their Pro 900. Almost as detailed, smoother, better bass.
Both Ultrasones required a looooong break-in time, but sound great now.
For tracking I use Senn. 280, closed back, pretty well padded, not too expensive.
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks for ur opinion any cans for tracking?
I use those cheap ath30s and they sound great.I have a hearback system.They sound like a record while recording which helps the artist or band play with more confidence.Might want something a little more noise canceling for drums though.
Old 28th January 2012
I have great success with AKG K 240 headphones. They are non hyped at bass frequencies and very detailed.
Old 29th January 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
2 sets wastes your money, you are better off spending the wad on one really good set. Understand though that there is no such thing as a mastering headphone, it just doesn't work. Stax, at about $2500 a pair, are as close as you'll get, but it is not close enough. The upper tier Grados are good, the cheap phones are not. Beyer has always built great phones, as has Sennheiser. The Ultrasones didn't do anything for me that I could not get cheaper from Beyer or Sennheiser, but there are courses for horses.
wow id love to get a used stax cuz its way out of my budget if its new , do u know any website that sells used gear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
+1 on the Ultrasone 750 for detail, great for editing. One of the most detailed 'phones I've ever heard.
For mixing and mastering, I really like their Pro 900. Almost as detailed, smoother, better bass.
Both Ultrasones required a looooong break-in time, but sound great now.
For tracking I use Senn. 280, closed back, pretty well padded, not too expensive.
do u guys means these 2 http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-...7794775&sr=8-2 and Amazon.com: Ultrasone PRO 900 S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Headphones - Black: Electronics cuz they r way cheaper than the prices mentioned above.

do u think the 750 is more detailed than sen hd650/600?
Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman View Post
I use those cheap ath30s and they sound great.I have a hearback system.They sound like a record while recording which helps the artist or band play with more confidence.Might want something a little more noise canceling for drums though.
how about the newer ath-m50 or m50s ? heard great things about them for tracking
Lives for gear

Quote:
how about the newer ath-m50 or m50s ? heard great things about them for tracking
No advantage for tracking IMO.I have a set of ath50s at home.Next to my Senn HD600's(which are very flat) they are a lot louder in the upper mid freqs.I don't know why they would be,but I haven't compared them to the ath30's which are perfect.There are a lot of times I will be playing a mix through my Trident board,in my studio, and out to the headphone monitors and mixing at the same time during and after overdubs/ tracking.The mixes I end up with sound great and translate really well.I could mix all day on the ath30's thru the hearback system and never get fatigue,seeing as I have done it numerous times.
Old 29th January 2012
Here for the gear

Consider these Grado SR-60's that have been modded. You can't beat these headphones for $100.

Alessandro High-End Products: Music Series Headphones
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those links look like the 750, mine are blue, and the 900, but I've seen those cheaper.
Yes, I think the Ultrasone Pro 750 is the most detailed headphone, or certainly among the very most detailed, so much so that it is to the detriment of its overall balance. But, they are extremely detailed. IMHO, YMMV.
Quote:
Those links look like the 750, mine are blue, and the 900, but I've seen those cheaper.
Yes, I think the Ultrasone Pro 750 is the most detailed headphone, or certainly among the very most detailed, so much so that it is to the detriment of its overall balance. But, they are extremely detailed. IMHO, YMMV.
i guess for editing/composing detalis would be more important than balanced cans here ! true !

+1 for the pro 750 then
Old 29th January 2012
Gear Maniac

I rely heavily on the AKG 702. For mixing purpose semi-open cans are they way to go at least for me I couldn't picture my self spending more then 1hr with closed back headphones at a moderate level.
Here for the gear

Quote:
great choice bro ! where did u get this from though ?

and do u know any where that sells used or second hand gear in melbourne?
Soundcorp in South Melbourne

As far as second hand gear goes, Music Swop Shop in Carlton - MUSIC SWOP SHOP ONLINE
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert(AOS) View Post
I rely heavily on the AKG 702. For mixing purpose semi-open cans are they way to go at least for me I couldn't picture my self spending more then 1hr with closed back headphones at a moderate level.
Both the Ultrasone 750 and 900 are what I would call "semi open back". they are not fully closed, and are not very well "isolated". Very good for editing/mixing, not good for tracking with open mics. I like the "S Logic" design, seems to result in much less listening fatigue, and the Mu-metal gives me confidence to wear them for long periods, although I have no idea if it's truly safer health-wise or not. But, I like it. I also like that they come with two cables, and replacement earpads. The 900's also came with a very nice case.
Not affiliated, just a happy customer. Also as previously stated, these things need a loooooong break-in time to sound right.
Old 11th February 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Both the Ultrasone 750 and 900 are what I would call "semi open back". they are not fully closed, and are not very well "isolated". Very good for editing/mixing, not good for tracking with open mics. I like the "S Logic" design, seems to result in much less listening fatigue, and the Mu-metal gives me confidence to wear them for long periods, although I have no idea if it's truly safer health-wise or not. But, I like it. I also like that they come with two cables, and replacement earpads. The 900's also came with a very nice case.
Not affiliated, just a happy customer. Also as previously stated, these things need a loooooong break-in time to sound right.
i got a quote for the ultrasone pro 900 for $260 , do u reckon thats a good price?
πŸ“ Reply