The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Saffire 6 or Scarlett 2i2
Old 10th January 2012
Focusrite Saffire 6 or Scarlett 2i2

Hey I'm pretty sure they're both around the same price and don't they function the same?

Ok scratch that, Saffire is around 260 while Scarlett is 200

Aside from 1 being 1.1 USB and the other 2.0 but I heard this makes little to no difference? And Saffire with extra features

What are the reasons to get 1 over the other?

I found this

Quote:
2i2 and the 8i6 has the same 2 preamps. The only difference is the extra I/O's you get with the 8i6 (midi, spdif, trs 1/4 ins/outs). You can go to Focusrite's website and compare spec's on? both. But as far as the preamps both units are the same and will give you the exact sound quality.
Old 10th January 2012
Here for the gear

260 what? euros? dollars? pounds?
It depends what you will use it for. If you only want to hook up some monitors the 2i2 does the job. If you want more inputs and outputs, buy the saffire 6 usb.
Old 11th January 2012
On zzounds the

Saffire 6 USB - 200$
Scarlett 2i2 150$

Yeah monitors, mic input is all I need now but those extra input/output could become useful in the future for mixer/DJ stuff I'm thinking
Old 11th January 2012
Gear Nut

scarlett.. usb 2.0, if you were to get 1.1 you'll regret it later down the road if not immediately.
Old 12th January 2012
^ What are the cons of 1.1? Cons of not having 2.0?

Ok so regarding latency, does that mean I won't able to use as many instruments as 2.0 without audio interference like static or something like that?
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Nut

yea basically if you have a bunch of tracks playing, like around 50 which i've had tons of times so its not unusual, your audio is going to start clicking and dropping out because of 1.1 usb not being able to pass info threw your cpu and interface converters quick enough.

2.0 usb isn't as good as firewire or pci but its about 50% better than 1.1 as far as speed and latency goes.
Old 12th January 2012
Uh oh...................................................................................................

Will I still have that problem even with 6GB or Ram?
Old 12th January 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrice09 View Post
yea basically if you have a bunch of tracks playing, like around 50 which i've had tons of times so its not unusual, your audio is going to start clicking and dropping out because of 1.1 usb not being able to pass info threw your cpu and interface converters quick enough.

2.0 usb isn't as good as firewire or pci but its about 50% better than 1.1 as far as speed and latency goes.
Well I have like 0 latencies with my saffire 6. 1.1 is enough, in fact, more than enough to handle 2 input channels. I guess you never used a Saffire 6.
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronus View Post
Well I have like 0 latencies with my saffire 6. 1.1 is enough, in fact, more than enough to handle 2 input channels. I guess you never used a Saffire 6.

lol.. never used it hahaha.. ive had nothing but headaches.. but hey like i said in the other thread it may work for some people.. my cpu is 8gb ram and a quad core and it does not like the 1.1.. but the 2.0 it loves, and just google it.. 1.1 is very slow compared to 2.0 or to firewire..

but hey im not here to change anyones mind or convince them to buy anything do whatever you feel is right. if you want the saffire so bad then buy it im just 1 mans opinion as opposed to 100,000 people that probably have it and love.
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

USB 2.0, you will regret USB 1.1.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz.com
Old 12th January 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
lol.. never used it hahaha.. ive had nothing but headaches.. but hey like i said in the other thread it may work for some people.. my cpu is 8gb ram and a quad core and it does not like the 1.1.. but the 2.0 it loves, and just google it.. 1.1 is very slow compared to 2.0 or to firewire..

but hey im not here to change anyones mind or convince them to buy anything do whatever you feel is right. if you want the saffire so bad then buy it im just 1 mans opinion as opposed to 100,000 people that probably have it and love.
I didnt said that to provoque you. And to be clear I am not here to convince nobody, I am just saying my opinion. So far I didnt have any kind of problems and I have a quad core with 4gb running Win7 64bit, first time I had a little problem with drivers, but when I update them this little thing handled anything I hooked to it, adn with very low latencies. Like zebuuhmbahp said, he wants to hook up monitors and a mic. Again, the Saffire 6 is more than enough to do that job. But with the 2i2 will do the same and you save some money.

Cheers!
Old 12th January 2012
Focusrite

Quote:

Hi All,

Just to clear things up, USB 1.1 doesn't make any difference to how many tracks you can play in your DAW because generally you're only using 2 outputs (outputs 1 and 2) therefore a mix of all 50 streams is sent via 2 channels over USB, not all 50.

The time taken for transfer between USB 1.1 devices and the computer is the same for USB 2.0 devices and the computer, as the USB packets take the same amount of time to transfer, it's just that for USB 2.0 more data can be transfered at once. Because of this, you can expect similar latency from a USB 1.1 or 2.0 device.

The 6 USB doesn't have a large no. of inputs and outputs therefore the need only for the bandwidth provided by USB 1.1.

Best regards,

Chris
Focusrite
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Head

All I can say is I use the 2i2 for connect to monitors and take it out on the road as I travel a lot, and I cannot be any happier. You really cannot go wrong with this soundcard...its sounds nice and flat, its durable, and you cannot go wrong for $150.
Old 12th January 2012
I like the extra portability and build of the 2i2, it is pleasing aesthetically, though the Saffire 6 has 4 outs I could make use of one day to hook it up to a mixer/DJ sort of thing right (more choices available) and if it works good without being hindered by 1.1 USB then I'll be happy with it

Many diverse opinions of the Saffire 6....very cool
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Read my response to the thread right near this one about AKG cans and the saffire6.

And take no notice of the experts telling you USB1.1 is no good.
I pretty much guarantee none of them own or have even tried a decent 1.1 interface with good drivers.

I bought the saffire6 as a sort of laptop notepad recording system and it works really really well.

I typically record VSTi drums and keys then two or three guitars a bass guitar and of course vox.

Plenty of VST FX and no problem using a 64 buffer on an old, slow 2 core Intel machine with only 2gb of ram.

Remember, unless you get someone who has actually USED the kit, around here wht you get is mostly WAGs and SWAGs.

Wild-assed guesses and SCIENTIFIC wild-assed guesses

hehhehhehhehhehheh
Old 13th January 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebuuhmbahp View Post
I like the extra portability and build of the 2i2, it is pleasing aesthetically, though the Saffire 6 has 4 outs I could make use of one day to hook it up to a mixer/DJ sort of thing right (more choices available) and if it works good without being hindered by 1.1 USB then I'll be happy with it

Many diverse opinions of the Saffire 6....very cool
Just buy one. You will not regret it. For the price I dont know any other audio interface with such good pre-amps and build quality. This thing was built to last years and years. The only con (a con to me, maybe not for other people) is that the Headphone jack cant get really loud volumes but, still, loud.
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Focusrite View Post
The time taken for transfer between USB 1.1 devices and the computer is the same for USB 2.0 devices and the computer, as the USB packets take the same amount of time to transfer, it's just that for USB 2.0 more data can be transfered at once.
2.0 can transfer more data at once is definitely right.

im not the only one with issues, works for some people, doesn't for others.

Focusrite Saffire 6 USB latency problem

Focusrite Saffire 6 USB Latency - Telecaster Guitar Forum

KVR: Saffire 6 USB buffer length problem

Ableton Forum • View topic - Latency Problems Focusrite Saffire 6

Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - Any opinions?

Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - Any opinions?

Saffire 6 latency - Cockos Confederated Forums

Latency issues with new setup Ableton/Windows 7 64bit/Saffire Pro 40 with standard asio : abletonlive

if you take a shot at it just make sure you can atleast return it if your not happy.
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Those links contain many posts that include more satisfied users or people that state that they are not experiencing the OP's issues.

Saffire 6 latency - Cockos Confederated Forums - link
The OP states:
"Frustratingly, I've only come across one other person on forums that has had the same trouble as me. Ah well, that is the nature of computer hardware. You never know until you plug it all in together.."
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Nut

yea about half of the links only have 1 person with a issue and other people trying to help and stating they don't have any issues.. and the other half have more than a few people on them saying they have the same latency issues.. 1 thing about it though is nobody with those issues have been able to resolve the issue including me.

but anyways i just thought i'd throw some peoples experiences with it out there but im done talking about the interface i think the op already bought it so i hope it works for him.
Old 13th January 2012
Seems like it's a game of chance, anyway thanks all lets hope I'm eager to try it out, hope I won't want or have to send it back
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Head
go with the saffire, more outs for gear!
Old 14th January 2012
Gear Nut

I dumped my Firewire 410 for the Scarlett 2i2 last week. Despite going from Firewire to USB 2, the Scarlett just works way better. I only run one or two ins, and then just have monitors on the outs and it's fine. Or sometimes the outs to my headphone amp.
The drivers work way better and I can use it all day without the latency building up. Plus I don't have to reboot my Mac a couple of times to make it work either. I'm very happy with it.
Old 14th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilznik View Post
I dumped my Firewire 410 for the Scarlett 2i2 last week. Despite going from Firewire to USB 2, the Scarlett just works way better. I only run one or two ins, and then just have monitors on the outs and it's fine. Or sometimes the outs to my headphone amp.
The drivers work way better and I can use it all day without the latency building up. Plus I don't have to reboot my Mac a couple of times to make it work either. I'm very happy with it.

have you used the scarlett plugins yet? i keep forgetting to try them, having waves i just keep going to certain plugins that i know work well. was seeing what someone thinks of the plugins that came with it.
Old 14th January 2012
Gear Nut

I briefly tried the reverb. It sounds okay (for the 2 minutes I tried). Low over head and pretty graphics anyway!
Old 16th January 2012
Here for the gear

I'm also interested in which is better as I'm having to make the same decision. So far I've seen nothing concrete pointing one way or another.
Old 7th July 2012
Gear Head

I'm ebaying my Fast Track Pro for a Scarlet 2i2, losing midi and an out. Man the 2i2 is freaking bombbbb =) sounds amazing. If you want more features get the Scarlet 8
Old 7th July 2012
Gear Maniac

Heads up here.

Focusrite currently have an issue with USB 1.1 devices and the current Intel i series processors.

Connectivity of USB 1.1 devices on non-root hubs .: Focusrite Answerbase
Old 21st December 2012
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronus View Post
i call that total BS
Old 21st December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fito_88 View Post
i call that total BS
You can get really low latency with it but you can't get "0". But if you think low latencies aren't possible because it's USB 1.1 then you don't know how USB effects the device. The speed that USB 1 is it can handle 6 channels of audio (2 in and 4 out) at the same time fine, if you made the same thing USB 2 I don't think it would achieve lower latency. I bet the only reason Focusrite even made a USB 2 version is because of all the people overlooking it as they thought USB 1 would mean it's crap.

Here is a quote that Chris from Focusrite posted on here a while ago about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Focusrite View Post
Hi All,

Just to clear things up, USB 1.1 doesn't make any difference to how many tracks you can play in your DAW because generally you're only using 2 outputs (outputs 1 and 2) therefore a mix of all 50 streams is sent via 2 channels over USB, not all 50.

The time taken for transfer between USB 1.1 devices and the computer is the same for USB 2.0 devices and the computer, as the USB packets take the same amount of time to transfer, it's just that for USB 2.0 more data can be transfered at once. Because of this, you can expect similar latency from a USB 1.1 or 2.0 device.

The 6 USB doesn't have a large no. of inputs and outputs therefore the need only for the bandwidth provided by USB 1.1.

Best regards,

Chris
Focusrite
Old 21st December 2012
WKG
Lives for gear
I've used the Saffire 6 for a portable songwriting tool with my laptop and haven't had any issues with it. USB 1.1 is just fine for what it does and it sounds surprisingly nice. I will unashamedly now admit that I have my mint Saffire 6 posted in the classifieds....
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear