The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio control surface reviews 1500.00 and below? Maybe Studio Live?
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Studio control surface reviews 1500.00 and below? Maybe Studio Live?

I'm using a Novation remote Zero for my studio control surface. But, I would like something a little more "spread out" and less confusing. Does anyone have any suggestions of a universal studio control surface that would be cool? Here are some options.

If the control surface has a built in high end audio interface/mixer. I'm willing to spend more (up to 3000.00)

Motorized faders is preferred, but not mandatory.

It seems like the presonus StudioLive is cool. But, no flying faders and no transport(not a big deal). Can someone give me a review of, specifically the control surface side of this mixer?

I focusrite has a 5000.00 solution! But, for that amount, I would not buy anything else! So, the mic preamps would have to be " one the one" and the unit would have to perform great!

Please let me know your thought
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

I'm going to converter my unused d8b to a controller, using this: D8Bridge
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

I've seen those around. Can you explain what you mean by the d8 bridge?
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

D8Bridge is the software to use it as a Control Surface
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
I've seen those around. Can you explain what you mean by the d8 bridge?
If you follow the link, you'll be taken to their site. From their site you can access various youtube videos they have made over the time that they have been in development making this modification. I think it is pretty cool. It appears to me that this modification uses the board without using the CPU other than for the power supply. There are a lot of d8b boards out there that do not work because they have an error (43) which indicates a lot of possible different issues, many of which are difficult to solve. Since this adapter/mod/product/whatever it should be called doesn't use the CPU/hard drive/memory or any of the other stuff that the error 43 applies to, you can take a 'broken' board and use it as a controller. The board has to work, the power supply has to work. I've read on the d8b forum where various users are talking about retrofitting a smaller computer power supply into the d8b board section and getting rid of the big CPU/power supply case and that massive umbilical cord entirely. But a lot of d8b boards are in closets and storage units because of the error 43. Can be bought cheaply. The down side is that you lose the ability to use the d8b for audio. (Though I suspect that if the boar was fully functional, you could use it for one or the other, just not at the same time.)

Understand that I haven't used this myself, so I can't give you all the details or claim any success rate. But check out the site and the videos.
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks! I'll do that!
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
It seems like the presonus StudioLive is cool. But, no flying faders and no transport(not a big deal). Can someone give me a review of, specifically the control surface side of this mixer?
The Presonus StudioLive is not a control surface for a DAW.

Link

However, you can mix on it. DAW tracks out into the mixer, mix away, rerecord the main outs. You can use scene recall to "save" your session.
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4-10 View Post
The Presonus StudioLive is not a control surface for a DAW.

Link

However, you can mix on it. DAW tracks out into the mixer, mix away, rerecord the main outs. You can use scene recall to "save" your session.
Thanks for your clarification. They kept mentioning "Studio one" in their advertisement and other DAWs. But, said nothing about not controlling them...dang.
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If you follow the link, you'll be taken to their site. From their site you can access various youtube videos they have made over the time that they have been in development making this modification. I think it is pretty cool. It appears to me that this modification uses the board without using the CPU other than for the power supply. There are a lot of d8b boards out there that do not work because they have an error (43) which indicates a lot of possible different issues, many of which are difficult to solve. Since this adapter/mod/product/whatever it should be called doesn't use the CPU/hard drive/memory or any of the other stuff that the error 43 applies to, you can take a 'broken' board and use it as a controller. The board has to work, the power supply has to work. I've read on the d8b forum where various users are talking about retrofitting a smaller computer power supply into the d8b board section and getting rid of the big CPU/power supply case and that massive umbilical cord entirely. But a lot of d8b boards are in closets and storage units because of the error 43. Can be bought cheaply. The down side is that you lose the ability to use the d8b for audio. (Though I suspect that if the boar was fully functional, you could use it for one or the other, just not at the same time.)

Understand that I haven't used this myself, so I can't give you all the details or claim any success rate. But check out the site and the videos.
OMG! I was just about to go searching for the the board, but i needed to confirm something. Is it true that the D8bridge is only for PC?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search