The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why is Presonus Hardware so poor?
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

There is a input and a output transformer... The Eureka competes against pricer units.. Now the WarmAudio an Gap73, BLA Autuer are great options. The OpAmps in the eureka are swappable and if switched out with LT or BurrBwns, are tough to beat for the money..
The Eureka is tons better then stock presonus pre's and studio channel....
Big step up....
I still use them and I have been lucky/blessed to have some pricey mic pre's.

O...
You can also swap the Input transformer to a Jensen.
Old 5th May 2012
Presonus is definitely lower-end and into prosumer. Unfortunately this is what you get with the price point.
Old 5th May 2012
Gear Head

I have a Jensen modified MP20 with Burr Brown op-amps. It's a fine sounding preamp. In my opinion, the MP20 was one of the best things PreSonus made. The inserts on each channel, the stereo bus, the headphone amp, all make it a really good bang for the buck. Especially now that you can get a used MP20 on ebay for 2 bills, and for not much more send it to Jensen for the mod, and it's still cheaper than it ever was new.
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

And I am learning a lot. Thanks for sharing.

I do like my Studio Channel because it reminds me of the clear preamps from my old Firepod...I had that for 5 years, now I use a profire 2626 and sorta miss the taste of the Firepod preamps.
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjew24 View Post
And I am learning a lot. Thanks for sharing.

I do like my Studio Channel because it reminds me of the clear preamps from my old Firepod...I had that for 5 years, now I use a profire 2626 and sorta miss the taste of the Firepod preamps.
What!!?? No way!!!
I guess we all most def hear things very very different.
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

No the profire octane-ish preamps are way better in my opinion but the presonus sound reminds me of my past...nostalgia. So it's nice keeping the studio channel around!
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjew24 View Post
No the profire octane-ish preamps are way better in my opinion but the presonus sound reminds me of my past...nostalgia. So it's nice keeping the studio channel around!

I like my two Firepods too. Running 16 channels of Ramsa analog front end to them and they sound great to me. It must be the A/D I like, the pre's are pretty clean.
Old 28th May 2014
Gear Nut

I have a Presonus 1818 vsl. I have installed it on 4 different computers. 2 laptops and 2 PCs all with Windows. NONE OF THEM have worked with this piece of ****. Every single time its the same problem, a bunch of reduxed noise and the playback sounds like it is 1973. New drivers don't work at all... don't buy this product or waste your money on a different Presonus interface. Better to go with Native Instruments sound interface or just go ahead and get a Motu or RME... I have a MOTU ultralite thankfully and it is solid as a rock. An RME or Motu is likely going to help your performance in DAWs as well given that you have a computer with the proper hardware to support more processing (8+ GB RAM, CPU, multiple HardDrives).

very possible that my case is a unit specific problem.. think it might have been damaged when i shipped it from switzerland, but who knows
Old 28th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbrugger View Post
I have a Presonus 1818 vsl. I have installed it on 4 different computers. 2 laptops and 2 PCs all with Windows. NONE OF THEM have worked with this piece of ****. Every single time its the same problem, a bunch of reduxed noise and the playback sounds like it is 1973. New drivers don't work at all... don't buy this product or waste your money on a different Presonus interface. Better to go with Native Instruments sound interface or just go ahead and get a Motu or RME... I have a MOTU ultralite thankfully and it is solid as a rock. An RME or Motu is likely going to help your performance in DAWs as well given that you have a computer with the proper hardware to support more processing (8+ GB RAM, CPU, multiple HardDrives).
I hear that man. Their Software division is excellent in germany with Studio One!
Old 21st October 2015
Here for the gear
Presonus Gear

it's challenging to respond to critics of Presonus because they are so vituperative in their opinion. I get how frustrating it is when a product doesn't work the way it is supposed to. For instance I needed a pre with 8 xlr ins. My research led me to Focusrite. Good pre's and converters by most accounts. Purchased a Saffire Pro, racked it up and upon starting I noticed smoke coming from the unit! Had all kind of issues with the drivers etc. Sent it back for the new Presonus Firestudio because in addition to the specs, an engineer friend of mine had a couple of CL-44's we used for drums in our church and while they weren't adding mojo they did their job and the build quality was good. Since then I've added 2 Digimax FS and along with a Eureka I get 25 solid mic inputs. This has been the front end of my DAW for 7 years and I have had zero problems. Yeah I use outboard pre's for money channels but for those of us that cannot afford RME's or Apollo's the Firestudio has worked extremely well. Concerning customer support, here's an example: the CL-44's have been discontinued for years and Presonus told me straight up they can't support any repair issues however they provided my engineer with the actual proprietary schematics so he could. I thought that was impressive. (To date they have never actually needed repair!)
Old 21st October 2015
The PreAmp line.....
ADL600
ADL700
RC500
Eureka

Good item's to use. I've been happy with my experience.

The cheaper audio/midi interfaces, I have not used.

But bashing their entire company isn't accurate or fair.
Old 23rd November 2015
Here for the gear
I bought a eureka 2nd hand around five years ago. I didn't use it much and within a year the preamp section was faulty. The gain pot didn't work properly- it only passed signal when it was turned up a fraction from 10, there was heaps of hiss and the input leds would all light up when a cable was plugged in even if there was no signal coming down the cable.

It sat around unused for four years until last week I noticed it for the first time in ages and decided to take it to the local music store for the repair guy to have a look at. He said it was the input gain pot that was the problem. He said he called around and found out that the fault is known and that the part is discontinued and out of stock. He cleaned the contacts in the unit anyway and suggested I bypass the preamp via the inserts so I could still use the compressor and eq.

His cleaning managed to bring the mic and line inputs back to life but the di on the front is still just as bad as ever. The gain control is a bit unpredictable with mic and line but it works and the loud hiss has gone. The leds don't work properly but they stopped indicating clip all the time.

I found all this out by using the eureka as a preamp for my lifeless sounding Hughes and Kettner solid state practice amp. The amp just happened to be the most convenient thing available to plug into when I got the eureka home. Either the eureka sounds really good or it makes my practice amp sound really good! The impedance selector is a useful way of taming or boosting the treble of a pickup without it sounding muddy or harsh. The saturation control adds a useable 'thickening' effect up to 12 o'clock but after that it sounds rubbish. I found the compressor to be fairly polite but I managed to get it to massage the transients in an almost tube amp kind of way. The sidechain highpass and eq before compression functions added greater tone shaping options. I used the eq to compensate for fairly dull old strings and the tone became much clearer with some nice bite. I now have an effects loop to play with too thanks to the insert point.

If it only ever works as a front end for a guitar amp I will be happy enough. The problem is not knowing how long this thing will keep working before it craps out again...
📝 Reply