The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
1" 16 track anyone?
Old 3rd September 2003
Gear Head

1" 16 track anyone?

have the chance to buy an otari mx70 1" 16 track machine (unused but lying in storage for 6 years), for little or nothing.

anybody has any comments on the format in general / this model in particular? how does 1" 16 track sound compare with, say, otari radar 24 or stock pro tools (mix+, not 'hd') converters? noisier? "warmer"? "fatter"? "smoother"?

thanks in advance,
jsiyer.
Old 3rd September 2003
One with big hooves

The MX70 was the best of the semi-pro machines. I considered buying one when I bought my 2" deck. Overall, they're pretty cool decks but it is a 1" deck. Great for demo's and indie releases but nobody's really going to come running over to use it 'ya know? On the plus side, tape is much cheaper then 2" tape and the format can sound great.

If it's been unused for 6 years you need to get a head report from JRF or IEM. There was one 2" deck I looked at which had been sitting for 5 years and they didn't clean the heads before it went into storage. Since tape oxide is rust and heads are metal well...it wasn't good. Make sure the motors turn and the ball bearings aren't shot blah blah. You'll also need to pony up for an MRL which will be a few hundered for a shorty with 1k, 10k, 16, and 100hz tones.
Old 3rd September 2003
Lives for gear

I have a 1" 8 track head stack I'll sell ya for dirt cheap if you pick up the Otari!
Old 3rd September 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

I have a Tascam MS-16 1" 16 trk machine and have used the Otari MX70. IMO the Otari is a small step up from the Tascam, but it is a more solid and dependable machine. Sonically, they always sounded about the same to me. The Tascam is overbuilt like a Sherman tank, but one that has an iffy transmission! And I've seen 2" 24 tracks that weren't as bulky.

People ask for PT far more than they ask for analog tape these days, so mine analog machine is going tinto consignment at a local pro audio shop.

Comparing them to PT Mix is the same as comparing analog tape to digital recording. It's been said a thousand times...
Old 4th September 2003
One with big hooves

Now 1" 8 would be a great front end for PT if you can get your drums on there. I think the Tascam decks have 2 heads while the MX70 is a three head deck. Makes a huge differance in tone and tweakability.

Is it worth it? I dunno, how cheap is cheap? Some people look for analog studios. I managed to carve out a little niche in my area by being one of the only studios around in this price range with 2" and an analog 2-track. Most of the other places have DAW's or MDM's. I'm not as busy as I could be or want to be but I'm not starving either. If it's cheap enough it may be worth having the option for those clients that want tape. If it's for a personal studio then you need to decide how you want to work.
Old 4th September 2003
Lives for gear

I spent many an hour on a Tascam MS16.We made great recordings on it.I've spent many more hours on MX5050's and the like.Otari is real good stuff.The transports were oxen like.Never didnt work.But as has been said, something in storage for that long could be iffy at best.....If its free then decide whether you want to spend the money it MAY cost to overhaul it....BTW...i do happen to know where theres a nice Otari 1" 8 track for sale...it needs a tuneup but it does work.7308 I think is the model....a big beast....and therea newer Sony 1/2 track with center time code available...it has digital readouts and controls are electronic rather than mechanical.
Old 5th September 2003
One with big hooves

Ahhhh. The Sony APR decks. Gotta love 'em. Zero ****ing tech support from Sony. Ever been to or looked at Sony Studios in NYC? Ever see any Sony APR decks in there?

Didn't think so.

Way cool decks from a technology standpoint. Solid transports, built-in timecode, auto-align etc. The problem is that nobody knows how to service them so if something really major happened your kinda ****ed. Supposedly the 2-track is one of the cleanest sounding decks around, kinda un-analog if that makes any sense but I haven't used one. I have used an APR-24 (2" 24) a few times and well...let's just say I didn't think it sounded that great. I mean, it's not horrible but I've talked to audio-post guys that miss the way their old JH-24's sound compared to an APR. Still, if you need the built-in synch and all the A827 features at a price thats' well under $10K you can't go wrong.

Just pray the damn thing never has a catastrophic failure. Ever try to get a Playstation 2 fixed????
Old 6th September 2003
Lives for gear

Jay! I hadda laff! yeah this is some of the feedback I've heard on the Sony...APR 5003 I think is the model...they sure do look like they're indestructible...huge transport and all the cute little trimmings.....this one is on the roll-around....just thinking about how nice mastering to tape has always sounded....Loved the old Otari 1/2 track and since that was the 80's we were always wanting the time code track for all the sequencing and keys.... oh yeah.....I 'fixed' a game boy just the other day....I dont think they've picked up the trash yet.....Any thoughts on the old Otari...1" 8trk?......7308????under a grand....needs a minor tuneup......
Old 6th September 2003
One with big hooves

What's the asking price on the APR 1/2"? Don't let the potential drawbacks scare you off a good deck. FWIW, I know a few people who like the APR 2-track a lot, Jack Endino says it's his favorite analog 2-track next to the ATR-102. Big words. And if a 2-track goes down it won't kill the session. Mix to digital or whatever.

I've never used the Otari your talking about. I've spent time with MTR-90's MKII & III and a couple of MX5050's. Under $1K seems like the going rate for a 1" 8-track. The format can be killer if you can work within it's "limitations".
Old 8th September 2003
Gear Nut

Slightly OT:

Does anyone know where one could find a Tascam dx-8ds dbx noise reduction unit separate from an MS-16? This is the one that was usually shipprd with the MS-16.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search