The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Golden age Pre-73 & Comp-54 Carnhil Mod How to
Old 7th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Finished the mod before company arrived,also changed out a nos Motorola 2n3055, figured why not? For a note, while they may look symmetrical, the transistor will only fit one way! Took me a half hour of searching but then giving it a shot only to find this out.

I will be testing it tomorrow, can't wait. Thanks again!
Old 29th August 2016
Here for the gear

Hy Folks,
I also did the carnhill mod right now on a friends units, both, comp & preamp. Unfortunately I didn´t read the whole thread, and so I installed the compressor input transformers the wrong way...

It would be really very helpful, if anybody could update / fix the ORIGINAL posting, or at least, add a warning to this posting... Is this possible??? Maybe skizotom can edit his original post? That would stop people from making the same mistake again, that I just did...

Cheeers, Salossi
Old 28th September 2017
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=skizotom;7093971]**If you own the MKI you need to add a zobel network with a 0.01 IF capacitor & a 1.5k resistor in series between pins 5&8. I have no experience with this so please don't ask **

This walk-through is awesome. Very much appreciated. I've just purchased a MKI and will be doing the output mod. Skizotom says he has no experience in the Zobel network...but does anyone else? Pics maybe? Just want to make sure I dont' screw mine up LOL.

Thanks again for this....it's a tremendous help!

emo
Old 28th September 2017
Here for the gear

Well, guess I should have searched around a little more. This might help anyone else doing the mod on MKI. Just needed to see it done before I tried it. Exactly what I needed

Transformers wiring | rackneve.com
Old 12th July 2018
Here for the gear
Hi there - I just bought a couple of GA pre 73 Juniors.

I want to upgrade to Carnhill Transformer but would appreciate it if someone could please confirm precisely what [model number?] I need to buy - and where?

Maybe this?

Audio Maintenance Limited CA-18-VTB1148 - Transformer: Audio Output Gapped (Narrow Board Version)

Thanks very much for any assistance.
Old 17th July 2018
Here for the gear
No one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dint10 View Post
Hi there - I just bought a couple of GA pre 73 Juniors.

I want to upgrade to Carnhill Transformer but would appreciate it if someone could please confirm precisely what [model number?] I need to buy - and where?

Maybe this?

Audio Maintenance Limited CA-18-VTB1148 - Transformer: Audio Output Gapped (Narrow Board Version)

Thanks very much for any assistance.
Old 17th July 2018
Here for the gear
That's the right one
Quote:
Originally Posted by dint10 View Post
No one?
Old 12th November 2018
Here for the gear

I have a Pre-73 MkII and the output has become very low. It seems to be ok using the DI input but I get barely any signal from the Mic input when using a Goden age R1 Ribbon mic. Is the fault likely to be the input transformer? If so I would do the mod instead of paying £65 just for a diagnostic test at my local repair shop.
Thanks.

Last edited by Boogster; 12th November 2018 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: miss spelling
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Addict

Is your R1 the active or passive version?
Old 25th April 2019
Gear Maniac

I hope someone is still following this thread...
One of my Comp54's bit the dust, passes audio without compressing and my other has a ****ed up input jack, so I figure now is as good of a time as any to bust them open and do the transformer swap. While I am in there, are there any other suggested mods for these units? Someone somewhere said that the connections to the threshold knob are often times problematic and that would explain what my Comp54 is (or isn't...) doing so I'll definitely be looking at that while I am in there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search