The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Saffire Pro 14 headphone output - big issue
Old 25th September 2011
Here for the gear

Saffire Pro 14 headphone output - big issue

Hi,

Few weeks ago I purchased Saffire PRO 14 audio interface for my PC. I installed latest drivers and everything went smooth and easy on Windows 7 32 bit. It's connected on my Gigabyte board with Texas Instruments fw chipset (TSB43AB23). Latency is good, no problem with that.

However, I have problem with headphone output. When I dial headphone knob above mark 6 (of 10) sound start to distort badly without getting louder (amplifying) at all. I tried different ASIO buffer settings in Mix Control software with higher latency settings but it doesn't change anything. I have AKG K701 headphones with impedance of 62 ohms. Also tried other consumer headphones and the result is same. Main outputs to my studio monitors (Adam A7x) are working fine without any distortion. I also tried today to turn volume down on Adam's amps, and to turn monitor volume all the way up on Saffire, just to check if it is distorting on main outs, but everything is perfectly clear and good sounding.

As I am mainly rely on my headphones, this is big issue for me, and I hope somebody here will help me to solve this problem..( I also had couple of more fw interfaces before and never had this kind of problem)

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hmm is there an option to power the saffire pro with an a dedicated power cable instead of the bus power from the computer?

Sounds like a problem I had with an ART headphone amp thing when I tried using a different power supply...lol.

Send it back or call the company
Old 25th September 2011
Here for the gear

@mattjew24

Thank You for Your answer.

I'm not sure that I understood Your suggestion, but I can tell You that my Saffire Pro 14 have his own power suply, i.e. has independent power suply from the computer.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd contact Focusrite directly -- their customer support is excellent, and they usually reply really quickly.

One of their guys (Andy) is around here on Gearslutz too, so hopefully he'll see this and be able to help you out.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

it may be a setting in mixcontrol, maybe even a bad cable ...i had these problems and almost always it was something simple...
Old 25th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsMoreFuzz View Post
I'd contact Focusrite directly -- their customer support is excellent, and they usually reply really quickly.
I have already contacted Focusrite Tech Support, correspondence with them is still existing (Mr. Will Kent), but they did not able to give me some exact solution in order to solve this problem.

Regards
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx_bgd View Post
I have already contacted Focusrite Tech Support, correspondence with them is still existing (Mr. Will Kent), but they did not able to give me some exact solution in order to solve this problem.

Regards
I realize this post was forever ago, but did you ever find a solution? I have the same issue and it's an absolute nightmare. Combined with how hot the damn signal is when it comes in (with basically 0 gain) and I can't wait to replace this thing once MOTU M4 units are back in stock.
📝 Reply