The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocal compression Dynamics Plugins
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Vocal compression

Hello everyone!

i've been producing for quite some years now but now getting deeper into it.I have a vocal sample which is VERY distorted in some places.I have cut its low ends which has helped to some extent.But i am sure compressor is really gonna help me with this.I have only the basic understanding of a compressor.I have played around but what i am trying to achieve here is "making louder parts quiter and quiter parts louder".Can anyone please explain what does knobs like Ratio/knee do?Any tips/suggestions for vocals additionally?

Thanks in advance.
-Farhan
Old 19th September 2011
Fezzle
hey man, a compressor wont really undo a really distorted part im afraid... it will only smooth out dynamics but the distortion wont go away. A de esser could help a little here, since distortion is usually most apparent to your ears at the presence range 2-6 Khz ish, try putting on a de-esser , so that whenever a really distorted part comes in the de -esser clamps down on that range.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhanaire View Post
Can anyone please explain what does knobs like Ratio/knee do?
Google can certainly help:

Understanding Audio Compressors and Audio Compression

The Audio Compressor - Who Else Wants To Know What It Does?

And, my favorite reference thread (kind of long but worth it to get to the information you're asking about):

Why do your recordings sound like ass? - Cockos Confederated Forums

Good luck.
Old 20th September 2011
Worse w compression ....

You may find that compression exacerbates the problem. If it is a matter of 'loudness' being inconsistent with the sample, you should try to automate fader movements on a track and reprinting the sample as a cleaned up version. That and using Eq to add/take away the mud...
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

Compression will almost definitely make the noise worse
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

And yet another vote for a compressor won't help already distorted audio material. But a compressor can help if it's used while tracking the vocals.

Quote:
Any tips/suggestions for vocals additionally?
First, start with a good vocalist. Whereas this may sound obvious, belive it or not, some people just don't understand how a good vocalist will make such a big difference in the quality of the recording. Mic choice, mic placement (if there is distortion, move the mic away from the singer and/or try a filter on the mic [pantyhose works well if nothing else is available]), mic pre, room and choice of compressor all make a big difference in the quality of the recording.

What is your signal chain currently, and where are you recording this?

Cheers.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Pay a professional to mix the album and ask to sit in on the sessions. Will be better than any money you could ever spend on gear.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello everyone!

i've been producing for quite some years now but now getting deeper into it.I have a vocal sample which is VERY distorted in some places.I have cut its low ends which has helped to some extent.But i am sure compressor is really gonna help me with this.I have only the basic understanding of a compressor.I have played around but what i am trying to achieve here is "making louder parts quiter and quiter parts louder".Can anyone please explain what does knobs like Ratio/knee do?Any tips/suggestions for vocals additionally?

Thanks in advance.
-Farhan
I suggest trying the Black 76 and White 2A from IKmultimedia. You can download free demos befor you buy.

I find them very easy to use and think they sound great.
In addition to level out the dynamics they also improve and enchance the sound, atleast to my ears.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

For free, easy and great sounding vocal compression from a much-vilified internet company, try the free Antress Lost Angel. It's only got two knobs and a switch. No control over the attack, release, knee or anything. It's completely easy to use. And it's free.

I've found that it's the most natural sounding plug I've tried on vocals, which may have to do with my limited technique, but it seems like yours is limited too.

If it doesn't make the vocal sound better, compression probably isn't going to help. If it does make the vocal sound better, you can either stick with that or start messing around with other compressors.

But as a free plug that's hard to mess up, it may be helpful to give it a go.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
Pay a professional to mix the album and ask to sit in on the sessions. Will be better than any money you could ever spend on gear.
Might not be as much fun, though.

Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

+1, a compressor can't help a recording that was recorded clipping. What you have is what you've got at that point. If on the other hand the recording did not clip on the way in, you could be clipping your output bus or monitor amp by playing back at too hot a level. In such a case you could run it through a compressor and re-record the compressed signal just fine. To see if this is the case, pull the track volume down half way and listen to it for any signs of clipping or distortion. If you still have distortion, but at a lower volume, you are stuck with it. Note that if you have multiple tracks you may have to add them back one at a time and repeat the process since the signals can add up to output bus clipping when mixed. If they all recorded clean however you should be able to successfully mix them by adjusting the levels and salvage the take.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

to correct it youll need to re-record the bad recording, check volume levels during your sound checks to avoid clipping, make sure the pre doesnt clip and your audio interface doesnt overload and clip...
Old 21st September 2011
Hey noob, try searching forums & threads before posting. There are literally countless threads about this.....
Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for help guys.Applying as i learn.The clip i have is what i had got off internet and its an audio file ripped off an amateur video clip.I noticed those distorted signals where actually more of hard/rough sound than actually being "distorted".My attempt here is to make it sound as good and less disturbed as possible.

There are places where its volume levels variate,which is why i suppose a compressor will help me the best.

I have tried this TonMann De-esser,but i am new to it so taking time for me to understand.

Thanks again for all the help guys.Really appreciate
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Post up the clip, maybe we can help more then
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Agreed, post the clip please.

If a compressor can help, I will eat my hat.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Thanks in advance.
-Farhan
Like others have mentioned, an existing track with distortion has to be recut..
A compressor would have helped IF you were clipping the INPUT of the recorder, IF it was the Mic Pre then will NOT change it, since its BEFORE the compressor..
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Addict

How can 1 be producing for many years and not know how to use a compressor or a de-esser?
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Do they still sell Geritol?...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search