The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adam A5 or A5X? Dynamic Microphones
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Adam A5 or A5X?

Hi, i've seen threads where people compare A7s to A5s but i haven't come across a comparison of the A5 and A5X. They're both still available new, and the A5X is about £100-£150 more. I'm just wondering which is better to go for and why?
Thanks
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Have a5s here. Had a bit of trouble w/ port 'chuffing' while tracking bass guit and ended up stuffing sound foam into the ports. Since then, they've been great~used alongside KRK sub
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
A5X are a much improved monitor in every single aspect. If you got the money the newer model X series are worth it over the old.

Both are light on the bass end though so a sub would be good.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

While I can't comment on this exact comparison (A5 vs. A5x), I can offer something on an A7 vs. A5x comparison.

Between those two, I actually prefer the A7. I find them to be more balanced and less hyped than the A5x, which seems to have a somewhat inflated bass response, to my ear at least.

But I agree with the previous post, when asked to choose between A5 and A5x, I would go with the A5x. One of the big problems with the original A series is that there is often port noise when monitoring at high SPLs. The 'x' series largely dealt away with that by introducing the front bi-ported design. This doesn't seem to be an issue for me with my A7s, because I monitor at lower SPLs (70-80 db or so), but if you crank them up you will most likely get this. Oh, and I have a sub as well... really helped me with the low end issues.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search