The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
From Analog to SPDIF - How Do I Adjust Volume Now?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

From Analog to SPDIF - How Do I Adjust Volume Now?

I have M-Audio DSM1 monitors, and since one of my TRS cables was giving me issue, I decided to go SPDIF. Immediately I noticed everything is MUCH louder. So loud, each monitor is set to -22db so I don't drive myself nuts.

The only problem is, it's still very audible and I can't lower or raise the volume with the output control on my interface. I have both a Lexicon Omega and a Tascam US800, and neither let me adjust the volume with the knob - it's fixed.

When I had them hooked up via TRS, everything was fine. But with SPDIF I have no way of adjusting the volume. Any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks guys.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

I've not personally used either interface, but I would try setting up a custom mix you want to send to the monitors and route that to the S/PDIF out, you can trim volume at the main mix for that specific mix. That should allow you to drop the signal as much as you want. Not necessarily ideal, but it should do the trick.
Old 21st October 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for the siggestion, I'll be giving that a try.
Old 21st October 2011
Gear Maniac

This not work?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search