The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME Babyface vs new Steinberg UR28M Audio Interfaces
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

RME Babyface vs new Steinberg UR28M

Hi,

I know that the UR28M is new and probably not many have used it, but assuming it will have a similar sound quality as the MR816, has anyone used both the MR816 and the Babyface and can tell which is better?

Thanks!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

That Steinberg unit looks very nice. I haven't heard it, but its laid out great.

History tells me get the RME, and if you're on a Mac, get the Apogee Duet. Unless you hear something that just sounds too good to pass up about the Steinberg.

Conversion is a big deal, and I have been an Apogee supporter for many years, way before they had all in one interfaces. RME has nice converters as well. I would base an interface on its converters. Because most likely you will get a better pre-amp and just bypass the pre's in whatever interface you choose
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for your reply. I'm on PC only. I know from reading here that people praise the MR816 converters... there was a big thread about it a couple of years ago.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens119 View Post
That Steinberg unit looks very nice. I haven't heard it, but its laid out great.

History tells me get the RME, and if you're on a Mac, get the Apogee Duet. Unless you hear something that just sounds too good to pass up about the Steinberg.

Conversion is a big deal, and I have been an Apogee supporter for many years, way before they had all in one interfaces. RME has nice converters as well. I would base an interface on its converters. Because most likely you will get a better pre-amp and just bypass the pre's in whatever interface you choose
Strange, I'm on a mac and I got the Babyface. Works very well+ I can put some reverb on there when I sing. Don't think you can do that with duet.
Old 18th September 2011
Steinberg unit does look well set out...2 headphones...etc etc

Costs around $700 I think.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Haven't heard the UR28M but I am very happy with my Babyface.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Love my MR816. Converters are nothing short of exceptional for the price, very clean, clear and accurate. Pre's are actually also very nice too. About the best i've heard in an interface costing this much. Very clean but works well for most tasks. Not noisy and plenty of gain. Much nicer than my old ProFire 2626.

There's a thread where somebody did a live recording with about 3 of these and used nothing but this unit for recording and mixing. Quality is really top notch.

You also get onboard FX (reverb DSP, and EQ and compression with the UR28 and CSX) for zero latency monitoring, which actually sounds really lush. Its one of Yamaha's top digital reverbs. Headphone section is nice and powerful too, although a good headphone amp may be useful in the future.

I dont think you'll go wrong with any of these units though. RME has great driver support and very similar converters (same as Fireface 400 iirc), and the Apogee also has great converters.

I believe the pre-amps on these units are digitally controlled, although i don't believe that has any effect on quality. I remember hearing a babyface vs mbox 3 pro with a rap vocal, and the babyface was absolutely crystal clear. In fact, i'm looking at getting one myself for location recording work.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear
Still loving my MR816 here.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

If you don't need to buy today, let someone else be the pioneer. Ifyou do need to buy today, buy what is proven and you know works today. So many devices crop up with problems, I would not be in a hurry to be the first guy on the block with a new toy.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Steinberg unit does look well set out...2 headphones...etc etc

Costs around $700 I think.
Actually, price is $400-
UR28M
Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

UR28M...saw it in action last night

Hey all,
Was at a Club Cubase in the OC last night and saw the new Steiny UR you're talking about. It was in a studio and though there was no way to critically listen to it (they put the output through some PA speakers), I thought that this thing was just about perfect for me. Not only the awesome pre's from the MR816 that we all know and love but the integration with Cubase is freakin' inspiring! Apparently you can monitor with reverb and comp/EQ in hardware with no latency (no biggie here) but then when you play back, there's templates included in the tools that automatically route it back through those same effects (that's in the hardware folks!). No repatching and "how come my track doesn't sound as good as I just sang it" crap from the person you're recording.
Priceless!
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac
That is very cool Yikesboy , tell us more if you can about your experience with the UR , im all ears ....
I want to buy one of this.
seems that this new UR series will be surprising us more than we thought.
What about the AD/DA converters , still the same quality as MR? and the latency UR - USB 2.0 vs MR - firewire ?
Old 22nd September 2011
Here for the gear

UR28M

Well, I just got to touch it a bit and had no time with it so I'm not going to shed too much light there...
I can say that the big monitor control and the switches all felt really more like an expensive bit of gear than something that's gonna sell for 399.
The latency is not a factor for tracking given the fact that it offers direct monitoring mode (with the Rev and Comp/eq) but I don't know if latency is any better or worse than Firewire. I think in general that there's little to recommend one standard over another these days but in the long haul, I think Firewire will be dead sooner than USB 2.0.

Oh, one more thing: the guy there said that the Reverb and the Comp/EQ stuff is also on the tools disk in VST form. That's really cool IMHO.
Old 22nd September 2011
i'm in the market for a new sound interface - see recommend a sound interface for Mac (Lion)

Would these new steinberg USB interfaces offer anything over the older firewire MR816X/CSX, which still seem to be getting a lot of love? I'm on a macbook pro
Old 4th October 2011
Gear Maniac
i read alot about the apogee Duet2 vs RME babyface that both in side by side are almost the same quality. Hope the same for the UR28m being the less expensive of the 3
Somebody has made any comparison between : Duet2 - babyface - UR28m ???
Old 18th October 2011
Here for the gear

I'm seriously considering the UR28M as well. Does anyone have any knowledge of whether or not the converters are the same as the ones in the MR816? I'd really like to know before making this purchase!
Old 9th November 2011
Gear Nut

every review I've seen comparing the Babyface and the Duet(even Duet2) has been in favor of the Babyface.

By just a quick glance at the new Steinberg AI I notice one thing, its 96 kHz vs RME's 192 kHz
Old 17th November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrik84 View Post
By just a quick glance at the new Steinberg AI I notice one thing, its 96 kHz vs RME's 192 kHz
imo apart for video standards, as long as they both support 24/44,1 who cares
Old 25th November 2011
Gear Nut
Any news...? Anyone has tried UR, compared it to Babyface/Duet2?
Old 7th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCrane View Post
Any news...? Anyone has tried UR, compared it to Babyface/Duet2?
News?

Edit: I guess this thread is on this topic:
Steinberg UR28
Old 9th February 2012
Gear Head

Still would like some more info about this topic. Anyone?
Old 9th February 2012
Gear Head

I (OP) eventually bought the RME Babyface. I need good latency, and the latency in the UR28M is reported to be much worse. I like it so far. And it works fine with Cubase. Juno Records sells it for a good price. Also, the babyface seems to be more future proof. I have a Steinberg MI4 and they stopped making drivers for it, and the Vista driver on win7 doesn't work well. RME seems to be better in long term support.
Old 2nd May 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

I have the UR28M now for a few months. Works great! It's going to be used for my live shows. Currently I'm using it for my studio while I edit midi until I save up for my Mytek 8x192.

For the money, the UR28M is the best bang for the buck! I got a demo model for $359.99

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search