The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best way to set up a 2-track USB digital unit Audio Interfaces
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

Best way to set up a 2-track USB digital unit

Hi There,

I have an Edirol UA-25ex that I've used, in a fairly basic way, a fair amount. I've had it just plugged into a laptop with a mic into the input and headphones out the back. Currently I don't have monitors, limited mic selection, etc...

I'm just wondering if there are any good resources/articles/etc about getting the most out of a little unit like this. Like...are you routing the output to some sort of splitter so you can choose to use monitors or headphones...do you have microphones in a patch bay so you can use multiple mics without fiddling too much? Do you use a different converter and bypass the built-in converters?

I probably don't know the question I'm asking, but I'm trying to prevent myself from going out and buying an octa-pre. Which looks really nice, but I know that there's a whole world of stuff I could do with this little thing, and I'd like to know how to maximize its potential.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks
Paul
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's got coaxial spdif and adat I/O in doesn't it? You can add more I/O via an adat unit, with or without pres. SPDIF could be used to insert an FX unit - if it's got spdif I/O. Or to add a pre with digital out.

Basically just plug stuff into the inputs and plug other stuff into the outputs... Is there something in particular you want to do?
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
Hi There,

I have an Edirol UA-25ex that I've used, in a fairly basic way, a fair amount. I've had it just plugged into a laptop with a mic into the input and headphones out the back. Currently I don't have monitors, limited mic selection, etc...

I'm just wondering if there are any good resources/articles/etc about getting the most out of a little unit like this. Like...are you routing the output to some sort of splitter so you can choose to use monitors or headphones...do you have microphones in a patch bay so you can use multiple mics without fiddling too much? Do you use a different converter and bypass the built-in converters?

I probably don't know the question I'm asking, but I'm trying to prevent myself from going out and buying an octa-pre. Which looks really nice, but I know that there's a whole world of stuff I could do with this little thing, and I'd like to know how to maximize its potential.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks
Paul
you are overthinking this

and are getting pretty much out of it what it can do

if you have a genuine problem that you can define then
perhaps meaningful suggestions could then be proffered
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy View Post
you are overthinking this

and are getting pretty much out of it what it can do

if you have a genuine problem that you can define then
perhaps meaningful suggestions could then be proffered

Indeed. It appears that you are trying to over-complicate things for yourself.

First, re-read the manual for your device. I often re-read manuals, it is amazing what you can find that you skipped over in trying just to get the darned thing working.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search