The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How much gain does the Shure Beta 58a need to sound better/louder? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

How much gain does the Shure Beta 58a need to sound better/louder?

I know "better" is a hot-button issue because it's a subjective term.. yada yada yada... I know.. I plan on getting an apogee one and the beta 58a. If needed, I'll get the fethead line amplifier. Will this be needed? Can I get loud enough vocals from just the 58a and apogee one? How much gain does the beta 58a need to sound to its potential?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Other than a noise factor (if using a cheap mic pre) Gain has nothing to do with it. You should be able to get all of the gain you need from your console. Gain has nothing to do with quality.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

You'll be fine. They strike me as a bit hotter than a normal 58 re: output. Regular 58s seem to play nice with every interface or console on the planet.

Soundwise I like them as a live mic; they are a bit crisper on top, less honky in the mids (suits my midrangey voice) and have better feedback rejection due to the pattern. They sound alright on a guitar cab too.

But yes, as mentioned above, input gain shouldn't be an issue; proper gain staging (and in the case of a vocal mic, handheld or not, the singer's mic technique) will.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search