The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic Locker Help... Buy or save up? Condenser Microphones
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mic Locker Help... Buy or save up?

Help with a mic question. I have and JJ modded Oktava 219, a Sm7B, MD421, a bunch of SM81's, 57's, 58's... There's a few used Cad M179's being sold locally for $125, and I wondering if I should buy one or just save up for something a little better. This question is more about for vocal purposes. It seems like the most people don't use the CAD for vocals all that much. Right now I am using the 219 or the SM7 for all of my vocals, leads and BV. Maybe the CAD would be useful for Backing Vocals in my setup? What would you do? Buy or save up?
Old 17th September 2011
I have an M179 that I think is great. Use it for vocals quite a bit...actually think it sounds better in figure 8 for vocs, but might just be my setup. $125 is a bit steep for used ones, but since they are local maybe the guy would let you check them out before you shell out the cash.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

going rate for a used CAD m179 with the shock mount is around $100 shipped on the Bay..but as mentioned, they cant be personaly tested until you own it...maybe save for the at4033 or at4047 for voclas and backing, these can be used on about anything...
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you guys. This board is the best. Yeah, the guy bought three of them for his drums, then he figured out that the sounds are too similar to his current set up. He AB'd them in his studio once and is now selling them. He said that he would let me take them home and try them out. I may do that, but that may confuse me even more. I wanted to see what you all thought about saving and buying something else later. Thank you so much.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

The M179 is not bad on vocals. The thing about them is they are not hyped or flattering at all. They are really natural/neutral sounding. The advantage of this is that they take to eq very well. For vocals, it's not the same as a nice Neumann but they are a good solid swiss army mic. A lot of folks don't like them because they aren't hyped but I find this to be their strong point. The thing I like is the constantly variable pattern (move a little toward the figure 8 side and you can get some of that lush bottom as you near the mic (more proximity effect, the tighter the pattern)).

I saw that jimsi recomended a 4033 for vocals. I love those mics for a lot of things but never found a singer that they sounded great on (they sound AWSOME on piano though). They remind me a little of a AKG 414 (ultra clean, detailed with great extended response) but not not particularly great for most vocals.

If you're looking for just a good vocal mic, you might look elswhere (but for $125 you could do a lot worse). Remember it depends on the singer and the style of music as well so no one mic fits all.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I'm not really a fan of the M179 on my voice. It has worked well for some piano recording I've done though. I'd say it's worth having around. I'm sure you'll find a use for it.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you are trying to build a better system and right now you have the bases covered, consider saving up for that dynamite vocal mic, whatever it might be to you.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

M179 would still be a great addition to any mic locker
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If you are trying to build a better system and right now you have the bases covered, consider saving up for that dynamite vocal mic, whatever it might be to you.
Bill presents a very valid point. There are plenty of mics to choose from and the prices range from $50 to over $8K for something usable. (there are exceptions)

Everyday I resist buying something that I know I will use from time to time, maybe more depending on its sound, but I always ask myself is this something that will do things to sounds that nothing else I have wont already do.

Your list has a lot of sonic coverage. You DONT have that one killer LDC.

I would save my money and add something that is going to bring the WOW every time you plug it in.

Something like a Bock U195. Right at a grand street price. WOW factor right up there with the best stuff made cause it is. GREAT vocal mic. GREAT kik drum mic (yep) GREAT acoustic instrument mic. GREAT electric guitar mic. etcetcetc....

Save your money. Your mic locker will look and sound like a million bucks with the right choices. You're already heading that direction.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

I tend to agree with Bill & Dogg. I would buy the M179 only if its variable pattern capability would be useful to you. Otherwise save up for the killer mic.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

After reading sonic dogg's post, I think I may agree. The M179 is a quite decent mic BUT.....so is your 219 (maybe not quite as versitile but a great mic none the less). Yes, save your money and pick up a mic with some WOW factor. Pleuso 2247se or a Neumann TLM147 are a couple of recommendations (I understand the Bocks are nice as well - I just haven't heard one).

It may take you a while but you will never regret it.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I really appreciate the help that you all have provided. This board is awesome.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search