The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer CX3400 Crossover?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Behringer CX3400 Crossover?

Has anybody used the Behringer CX3400 Crossover? If so whats the word on it? I usually stay away from Behringer stuff but I have a chance to grab it for $50.

Thanks!
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't know about this unit but EVERY other Behringer audio unit I've tried has been noisy.

But, I have a Behringer BCF2000 Control Surface unit and it works great (but no audio goes throiugh it).
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsuchpro View Post
Has anybody used the Behringer CX3400 Crossover? If so whats the word on it? I usually stay away from Behringer stuff but I have a chance to grab it for $50.

Thanks!
$50 is a no-brainer; grab it, try it and if it doesn't meet your needs, you can flip it for the same $50!
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivmike View Post
$50 is a no-brainer; grab it, try it and if it doesn't meet your needs, you can flip it for the same $50!
Good point. I guess my real question is... can it be used in place of a passive crossover on a 3 way speaker that has a terminal for each driver? I know you need an amp for each speaker and I don't like the fact that I can adjust it because I will never stop. lol
Old 19th September 2011
Check it out here and grab the manual (I don't know enough about crossovers, myself):

BEHRINGER: CX3400
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsuchpro View Post
Good point. I guess my real question is... can it be used in place of a passive crossover on a 3 way speaker that has a terminal for each driver? I know you need an amp for each speaker and I don't like the fact that I can adjust it because I will never stop. lol
Technically the interest of an active filter start where the power limitation of a passive filter stop.
therefore also can be use on low power system.
but you will have to make a choice active or passive, not both...

before connecting such equipment you must know;
- the crossover frequency (cut) from your speaker internal passive filter.
- the power from each elements. (bass, mid, hi)

Remember the active crossover Linkwitz-Riley filters with 24 dB/octave.
Old 12th June 2019
Here for the gear

I am currently using a CX3400 v2 in my small personal studio, specifically for bi-amping my Cerwin-Vega speaker/monitors and my subwoofers.

From a first impression standpoint:
For an "analog" device, it has an amazing clean, bright (transparent) sound, better than other analog crossovers that cost more money.

From a electronics/tech standpoint:
A good device for non-critical studio monitoring, rehearsing, and live PA, but would not be considered an audiophile device. Under the hood, it uses "standard" quality op amps, cheap Chinese F-caps, and a cheap power-supply design. The first version of this product had problems with audio quality degradation and reliability due to utilizing poorly designed ribbon-cable connections inside the unit. That being said, ....I have had no problems with mine so far.

As with many Behringer products (whether good or bad), the build-quality is usually not-so-great, which can result in problems/issues for some people. If you are an electronics tech (like myself), I would recommend at least replacing F-caps with decent ones in the input/output stages and in the power-supply stage of the circuit board. I would also check/verify the integrity of the ribbon-cable connections (the connector/headers that are crimped onto the ribbon-cables) and re-crimp or replace the connectors if you have an issue as described above, which should fix 85% of problems with this unit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search