The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A few quick questions about ADA8000 Digital Converters
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

A few quick questions about ADA8000

Hi all!

Im thinking about buying 3 units of the ADA8000. I have two questions that im thinking of:

Will i be able to use all three along with my MR816X? I.e. as an optical link with the 816 as master.

As i will ONLY use these for recording, will it be worth upgrading? Will the op amps come into play even if i just do recordings?

Many thanks in advance!

/R
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Your MR816X has only 1 ADAT I/O

Matti
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

I use an mr816x with a single ada8000. I'm nearly positive the mr816 can only do 8 channels of ADAT at 44.1, so unless you use some other digital mixer in-between (or an external digital recorder), I don't see how you could use 3 x ada8000s with the 816. Hope that's helpful?
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Yeah, I don't think this setup is going to work. You could get an m-audio lightbridge and a daw though if you need a ton of cheap channels. If it was me, I'd rather have a couple good channels, or just book a decent studio. Usually cheaper and/or better that way.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thansk for the answers!

In the Alesis AI3 manual they mention "optical snake", where you connect the ADAT OUT from one unit to ADAT IN on the second, and so on....And Behringer support mention something like this also...

But can the MR816X ONLY see 8 channels or the whole chain/snake?

And did anybody know about the op amps? Do they come into play when i ONLY use them for recording?

I counted my Hardware gear to a number of 23 So i really NEED the IN/OUTPUTS!

/R
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

ADAT is 8 channels
The op amps are in the input path also, acting as the mic preamps

Matti
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedaul View Post
I use an mr816x with a single ada8000. I'm nearly positive the mr816 can only do 8 channels of ADAT at 44.1, so unless you use some other digital mixer in-between (or an external digital recorder), I don't see how you could use 3 x ada8000s with the 816. Hope that's helpful?
Nah, it won't work. The Focusrite 26, 56, the Lightbridge, and a lot of Motu's etc. will do this though.

Is that correct you can only do 44.1 with the mr816? Can't you do 48khz adat as well? I should think you can, most every other adat lightpipe compatible unit does.

I always run at 48 when using adat.

john
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
ADAT is 8 channels
The op amps are in the input path also, acting as the mic preamps

Matti
But i will not use the preamps. Just the line in/out. But are they still in play? And i will of course send audio also as i have 5 external reverbs. But i dont care about the soundquality as in listening. But maybe the op amps are invoved when sending audio?

/R
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post
Nah, it won't work. The Focusrite 26, 56, the Lightbridge, and a lot of Motu's etc. will do this though.

Is that correct you can only do 44.1 with the mr816? Can't you do 48khz adat as well? I should think you can, most every other adat lightpipe compatible unit does.

I always run at 48 when using adat.

john
It can do 48khz! But has anybody really tested this? I know that i can connect 3 adat's to the MR816X but the questions is if the MR816X actually will see all of them?

/R
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

The op amps don't matter when the audio is coming out of the Behringer.

You can't connect 3 Behringers to your unit. You can daisy-chain 3 interfaces together and connect the ADAT to each one of them. That will give you at least 48 channels of input.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

But does the op amps matter when using only line inputs? Or do people modify them just for the preamps. Find that a bit hard to believe

Ok, so just one ADA800 per MR816X unit them, right?
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

The line ins go trough the same preamps

Matti
Attached Thumbnails
A few quick questions about ADA8000-ada8000_p2.gif  
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

The ada8000 signal flow is such that the line inputs always go through the preamp stage (which is a big critique of the unit).

Behringer ADA8000 just for converters?

I consulted the manual, and the mr816 is indeed limited to 8 channels of ADAT I/O at 44.1 / 48, or 4 channels at 88.2 / 96. You also lose 2 channels of digital I/O when you use the built-in effects.

Also, fwiw the ada8000 can only operate at 44.1/48 - I think it sounds fine for what I use it for (extra inputs for external synths).
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedaul View Post
The ada8000 signal flow is such that the line inputs always go through the preamp stage (which is a big critique of the unit).
Yeah this seems such a trivial thing to worry about. I mean really? If they had made a separate signal path for the line inputs, it would likely be using a similar chip and circuit anyway. The impedance would probably be more properly matched, but still. Forgive me, I am not looking a the schematic.

Lot of circuits out there using the same chip for both duties. 1/2 of it for the mic amp, 1/2 for the line.

Same amplifier for both, different network around it.

Plus, on this unit it measures ok, and for that money, the fact that people are complaining about this...well. Kinda like going to MacDonalds, and complaining to the kid behind the counter that the food is greasy.

People don't just want something for nothing nowadays, they want EVERYTHING for nothing it seems.

j
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Well, the signal for both pres and line passes the op amps at the output so....

Black Lion Audio says that ADA8000 and the AI3 actually doesnt sound the same when i asked them due to the difference in op amps. They havent done any A/B comparison, but said that both were sounding decent unmodified. It seems like nobody has really compared them side by side. Not that i know of anyway.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search