The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Old Hi-Fi speakers vs. new cheap monitors Studio Monitors
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Old Hi-Fi speakers vs. new cheap monitors

Hi all,
here is my question:

Now I have a Philips hi-fi speaker set (made around 1984), powered by an old sony hi-fi system. I'm pleased with the listening part, good details, although its a 5 inch paper cone with one inch paper tweeter I dont need to put any eq, its sounds ok anyway. But when I get to mix... I think you know
Also it takes a lot of space and I can see the light at the end for these speakers/hi-fi system.

I will be honest: I'm completely fed up with finding and reading reviews about monitors below 200 EURO. I'm just spending a lot of time with it without any result.

Some people advice to use old hi-fi speakers instead of cheap new monitors.

But still, I would like to upgrade now for one of these:
Samson Media One 4A or 5A
Samson Studio GT
(I have no idea, weather can we call these real "monitors" or just multimedia cans labelled with the "monitor" word)
and basically all of the nearfield boxes under 200 EURO.
I would like a Behringer B1030A set, but a lot of people hate/not prefer Behringer, sometimes without any experience, just because it is and its "fancy" to say that this brand is ****....

BTW my secret favorite is the Samson Resolve A5

I'm playing metal (doom-black with a lot of acoustic parts and elements) with 2-3 guitars, bass, keyboard and electronic drums. Recording/mixing 5-6 times in a year (so not too much)... mostly listening, for enjoying.

NO, I will NOT save more to buy a Yamaha HS50 or any more expensive speaker... I'm also not interested in 2nd hand stuff.

and YES, I was at several music store to listen some boxes, but as you know, speakers in the shop will not give the same sound at your home... but to be honest again: I liked the behringer the most (maybe because it was sounding a bit hi-fi-ish?)

Do you think that any of these small and cheapo nearfield monitors would be an upgrade sound listening wise, as well? will they give some extra details and value comparing old hi-fi speakers?

Sorry for the long post

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Frank156
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

"Some people advice to use old hi-fi speakers instead of cheap new monitors."

Without knowing WHAT old speakers? Crap. Unless you are talking about some great old hi-fi speaker that you know is full-range and about which people still rave, and you know that -your- old hi-fi speaker is in A-1 shape and performing as new. In which case you could probably sell it for a small fortune.

So if you've got that old pair of Duntech Sovereigns, by all means keep using them, you'd be hard pressed to find something better. But a lot of old hi-fi speaker designs such just as much as some of the new budget monitors, maybe moreso.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I know you said no used stuff, but I'm going to make a case for it anyway. In Europe there is a ton of the old Braun speakers from the 70's, and they're all pretty amazing. From the tiny L300's to the huge internally tri-amped LV-1020's, they are all very flat within their range (limited for the 300's... and unlimited for the L700 series up to the tri-amps) give great detail without being fatiguing, and work forever. Actually there was a New York studio that used the 1020's until fairly recently. There is also a steady stream of replacement drivers that shows up on ebay. Note that the ADS brand here in the States was the same stuff -- they licensed the Braun speaker line and sold them here with nicer finishing. The models I know of were the L300, L500/510/520, L700/710/720, and the LV-1020.

WW

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search