The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beta 58a in my demo studio? (with sound) Dynamic Microphones
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Beta 58a in my demo studio? (with sound)

I am working more and more from my home, making demos for (and with) songwriters. I have a basic setup (MacBook Pro, Logic 9, Apogee Duet, Studio Projects VTB-1, Focal CMS 50). The question here is about mikes.

I already have a Shure Beta58a and a small condenser, Line Audio CM2. I find myself using the Beta58a 10 out of 10 times, the sound is just more "real", while the CM2 is kind of thin and weak. I mostly use it for vocals and acoustic guitar. Since I kind of like the sound of the Beta58a and since the room acoustics isn't ideal (not terrible though) I'm pretty sure a dynamic mic is the thing for me.

Now I'm considering trading up a notch since few people really like the Beta58b in the studio. Why is that anyway? I'm curious.

Alternatives might be SM7b? MD421? Possibly even SM57? I need help here, OR I need someone to tell me I don't need trading up!?

I attached a clip of acoustic guitar as it might sound in one of my demos with the Beta58a A touch of EQ, a touch of compression, a touch of reverb, Logic stock plugins, nothing fancy.

ACGuitar.mp3
Old 16th September 2011
The Beta 58 is a very good microphone overall. It has a small drop in its frequency response at 6.5 kHz and two peaks at 4.5 and 9 kHz. And it has a strong proximity effect. Both should be easy to simulate with an EQ to make your SM2 sound better or more like you want it to.

For some voices, the Beta 58 is the best one around, especially for nasal voices that have the nasal peak at 6-7 kHz (like mine ). I have yet to find a condenser microphone with a similar notch at 6.5 kHz. To mix my voice recorded with the Beta 58 is a pleasure; to mix it recorded with my TLM 103 (for example) is challenging.

Old 17th September 2011
I really would recommend an SM7B. I think that many others on this forum would do so too... some might even go on to compare the mic to Chuck Norris!
I have one of these mics and it is very solid, consistently good and it also mixes very well too.

I wouldn't say it sounds like 50000$, but it does sound classy and cool and you really cannot go wrong. also it's another flavour of dynamic and it would probably compliment your SM58.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yeah I hear a lot of good things about the SM7b on this forum. Might be the one for me. Would be great to try one out first though...
Old 17th September 2011
Have a listen to Bon Jovi's live DVD 'This left feels right'. Should give you a hint whether you like that SM7b sound - I don't (and I really hate this DVD's vocal sound). In the end, it's a question of personal taste I think.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search