The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best <$1000 Reverb Unit for Classical Piano Home Recording Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Best <$1000 Reverb Unit for Classical Piano Home Recording

Hi All,

I'd just like to know what everybody's opinion is about the best stand-alone, under $1000, reverb unit there is for recording classical piano at home. If the unit can generally be purchased for under $1000 used, then that is game, too.

Thanks,
AEM
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Under or over $1000 I vote TC M3000 or 4k.
VSS3 is my goto algo for realism.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

lex 300 might be a good choice.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I was going to say Lexicon PCM 70 or Klark-Teknik dn780, no question, but for classical piano you're probably looking for something very clean and 90s sounding, right? If you're looking for the latter, Lexicon PCM 90 or Yamaha SPX 90. Depends what sound you're going for.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythminmind View Post
Under or over $1000 I vote TC M3000
This is a good choice if you're going for the big, clean 90s sound.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
This is a good choice if you're going for the big, clean 90s sound.
90s or not if you want realism TC & Bricasti are the obvious choices.

Lex is the go to for lush chorusy surrealism & SPX are great for grainy fun on drums.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for all the good input so far, everyone. Yeah, I definitely want realism. I mean, I just would like to add reverb and some room effects (if that's what you'd call them) without causing my piano to sound like somebody elses. I tried the reverb built into my Cubase software as well as reverb from what seems to be a reputable freeware plug-in; no matter how I tweaked things, or what pre-made settings I selected, my piano sounded significantly different. There was an overwhelming sort of metallic sound that I could not avoid, and my piano did not sound like my piano any more. Perhaps I just don't know how to work the reverb settings, and/or none of the pre-made ones jived with my recordings; but, I suspect that it's just the low quality of the software/plug-in. There is already some reverb in the room I record in, but I'd like to add a bit more in a convincing way, especially to some of the pieces that I play that don't have any pedal (stuff by Scarlatti, Mozart, ...).

If money weren't an option, based upon what I've read, the Bricasti appears to be a great solution. It's a bit too pricey for me, though, even though I'll bet it's worth every penny. The TC M3000 looks pretty nice, and I see that it can be had, brand new, for just under $1000. Any more input/opinions about this or other recommended units would be appreciated.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well if plugins are an option give ValhallaRoom a shot. The Dark setting might be up your alley. After you pick your overall algo/size The mix/density controls are your friends to get it to "blend".
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

You might also try using a convolution reverb plugin. I tend to like that for a clean piano sound with a bit of depth. I use light version of the one that comes with Waves Renn. Bundle. I also really like my Kurzweil Rumour if you can find one used.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded_musician View Post
I also really like my Kurzweil Rumour if you can find one used.
Yeah, I heard the Rumour is good bang for the buck for classical piano. I can currently get a used one for about $450; but, I'm worried that since they are no longer being made I might be up a creek without a paddle if something goes, or is, wrong with it.

I am also concerned with the fact that the PCM70 is an older model. I don't know much about these devices, but I worry that there might be some compatibility issues that might come up. Perhaps someone can clear things up for me a bit. My currently recording setup simply consists of 2 Audix SCX-25 mics, a Presonus Firebox audio-interface, and Cubase LE on and oldish IBM Thinkpad.

As for plug-ins versus stand-alone units, I'd rather stay away from plug-ins, as wherever I read, it seems that nearly everyone is saying that stand-alone units are superior to plug-ins when it comes to classical recording.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

Behringer V-Verb Pro, 2496, oodles of dig and analog i/o and 2 separate engines.

Find it Used for $50 or less... I got one for $35.

and it stands up EASILY to units 20x it's price.

Go on, laugh if you want. :-)
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
I tried the reverb built into my Cubase software as well as reverb from what seems to be a reputable freeware plug-in; no matter how I tweaked things, or what pre-made settings I selected, my piano sounded significantly different. There was an overwhelming sort of metallic sound that I could not avoid, and my piano did not sound like my piano any more.
Try it with a high pass and a low pass filter in front of the reverb plugin. The low pass can take out the excessive (metallic) top end of a digital reverb and the high pass can stop the reverb muddying everything up with too many bass reverberations. Start with 500Hz (high pass) and 5k (low pass) and take it from there.

Not every reverb plugin is equal. On linux I like the C* Plate.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Piano and guitar.

Best &lt;00 Reverb Unit for Classical Piano Home RecordingYamaha SPX990 Effects Processor | eBay
Old 17th September 2011
Do your piano a favor: Rent the M7.

SPX on classical piano??? What are you guys smoking?
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't know about the rest but im smoking the good stuff.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

I know; the M7 would be awesome. But, I don't want to have to rent equipment, and I am sure that I won't buy the M7 due to the cost. Even if I were to rent, I'm so incompetent about how a reverb unit works that, by the time I could figure out how to use it, I'd rack up a bill more than the cost of the unit.

So far, the TC M3000 appears most appealing to me. It can be had for around $750, and seems to get good reviews in a lot of areas, especially for its realism and clarity.

AEM

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search