The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Plug-ins, reverb and workflow
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Plug-ins, reverb and workflow

O.k. guys I have some workflow questions. I'm trying to figure out what the best practices are. As I add tracks and add plug in processing to those tracks, eventually my cpu gets pegged and something has to be done. What are the processes and best practices for rendering effects and plugins. Do I get it sounding pretty good and render then continue to adjust? Also interested in what folks are doing with reverbs these days. Are there general guide lines?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd say if you are CPU underpowered, you would need to "Freeze" or "Render" tracks with effects and plugins to an audio track, then disable the tracks and plugins to free up CPU. OR buy more CPU power. Generally, just mixing the audio only is easier than audio plus a bunch of plugins.

Other options I would personally recommend is finding more efficient plugins, writing the music better first to require less tracks - less is more in almost all cases. Do you really need 16 tracks of guitars, 8 tracks of synth pads and 40 tracks for drop in effects?

Reverb wise, there are no rules. Ever. What ever you like.
Sometimes it's good to put certain reverbs that are all different on each track. Other times maybe just one good reverb is good for all tracks to go through for a room sounds.
Personally, I tend to never reverb Bass or Kick Drum to keep it tighter sounding. Or if reverbing a Bass sound for effect, roll off the low end of that reverb to reduce "MUD"
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Are you using your reverbs as sends or inserts? If you are adding a reverb plug and each track, that's going to kill you. Delay and Verbs should be set up as a send from the track to and aux track ( where you put the Verb Plugin) and that is sent to the master. This way you can use one verb on as many tracks as you like and it won't increase the drain on your ram. Also, you may just be overprocessing your tracks. When I first started out, I used to load up each track with way too many plugs and ran into that problem. As my ears got better at what I was listening for, I only use what is actually needed, I find I use a lot less. - of course that depends upon the quality of the raw tracks!
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

A new computer will solve all your problems. It doesn't even have to be high end. A cheap 4-core Athlon II is as much as most people will ever need.
Old 16th September 2011
Also, raising your ASIo sound card buffers or WDm slsider will relieve some CPU.
The higher your ASIO or WDM settings are, the less strain on your CPU. The lower the ASIO or WDM settigns, the more stain your CPU has.

I also agree with other, that if you have a 20 plugins with 20 tracks and your PC cannot handle it, its time to upgrade. But try the ASIO or WDm settings for now
Old 17th September 2011
time-based effects should be processed via aux. they are huge cpu hogs

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search