The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Predicament of sorts Studio Monitors
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Predicament of sorts

Whats going on guys!

Here's the predicament,

I once had a band and we recorded at a commercial studio for our EP. I paid for everything and they ended up shafting me in the processes by deucing out.

I now have a new band (which is only myself and a live band for shows) and I am now out of spendable cash flow. I need to create a good sounding record. I do have gear, is this good enough?

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24
Focusrite Octopre MkII
M-Audio BX5a Monitors
Pro Tools 9

Plugins:

Waves SSL
Waves API
Waves Platinum
Waves Classic Compressors
AutoTune 6
Oxford Inflator
iZotope Ozone 4
Steven Slate Drums EX

Can this be done?

Oh and this is for ****s and gigs...I recorded a comedy rap song
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Short answer yes!

You sure have spent a lot of money on plugs compared to your hardware
or did you just ........... tutt
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

People have gotten by with less...
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwink09 View Post
Whats going on guys!
Meh, you know, the usual.

Quote:
...is this good enough?
Only one way to find out. The only real limitation is the monkey at the wheel.

Quote:
Plugins:

Waves SSL
Waves API
Waves Platinum
AutoTune 6
Oxford Inflator
iZotope Ozone 4
Steven Slate Drums EX
I think you spent way too much money on plugins. Seriously.
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
I think you spent way too much money on plugins. Seriously.
Yeah, he sure did.

All assumptions and judgements aside, you should be able to make decent recordings through trial and error, and with plenty of practice. You can't buy technique and experience, and I'm pretty sure that you won't find a torrent for a plugin that does the mixing for you. My recordings turn out fine and I use gear on par with what you use. They keep getting better as I learn new methods and correct bad habits that I have adopted. I don't rely heavily on plugins but for those that I do use (Focusrite Scarlett Suite, mostly), I make sure to mess around with a great deal. Knowing how to use the plugin goes a long way in getting a good result.

Good luck with the recordings. There is a lot that can be learned through reading forums and guides but it boils down to how much time you spend behind your desk experimenting. This notion gets repeated a lot but that's because it is true. There isn't really an easy way around it.
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

The plugins were given to me by my friend who doesn't record anymore. And I bought the hardware. So mics are next? What's the best mic for a decent price value?
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
I would sell some of those plug in licenses and buy a few decent mics. No idea what you're recording though, but shure and AT make some good workhorse type of mics for a good value.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

depends.....it always depends...

but what is your microphone selection and what style of music and type of recording...

for example, i did a recording last year on 1inch tape on a 16 track fostech machine, with tons of UA, Neve, API, Empircal labs, nueman, royer etc... and it's lo-fi to mid-fi sounding

but it has tons of feel.

then i did another recording recently with almost the same gear though we did everything digtal and it's super clean and hi-fi sounding.

I always think it's a good idea know where you are going before you get there.

I guess my question is...What type of record do you want to make...

or think of it this way...

Wilco records=tons of feel
Radiohead records=some of the best players around, so good it sounds like robots played it, but it's still human.
Nickleback=robots actually did play it.

playing style has always dictated quality to me, more then the gear it's tracked on.

of course the captain who is steering the ship is always important to.

One thing about the sonic qualities of some of my favorite records is how unique things actually sound.

There are some records that I listen to and think, "God if I recorded that Snare Drum, I would hate it, but it's so perfect for song"

A great example is Tom Waits...That voice, those rattling broken pianos, drummers who play barrel drums and cattle prods...but it works.

so I guess the point is, decide what type of record you want to make....and don't worry about fidelity, but make it unique....of course keep the rules of road, proper gain staging, phase etc in the back of your mind.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whats going on guys!

Here's the predicament,

I once had a band and we recorded at a commercial studio for our EP. I paid for everything and they ended up shafting me in the processes by deucing out.

I now have a new band (which is only myself and a live band for shows) and I am now out of spendable cash flow. I need to create a good sounding record. I do have gear, is this good enough?

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24
Focusrite Octopre MkII
M-Audio BX5a Monitors
Pro Tools 9

Plugins:

Waves SSL
Waves API
Waves Platinum
AutoTune 6
Oxford Inflator
iZotope Ozone 4
Steven Slate Drums EX

Can this be done?

Oh and this is for ****s and gigs...I recorded a comedy rap song
the gear is good enough
just dont try to use all of it on every song or album

the question is are you all good enough
can you get the best out of the gear you have?
can the band play real good ?
can the singer really sing ?
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

This is me singing and my used to be band

Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

this kind of sound is totally achievable ITB!
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

sell one of the plugs and rent some time in a local home studio, where the guy is already an experienced recordists and has a room in which he has already made decent recordings for others with a nice selection of mics. You might even be able to trade plugs for studio time. That way, you get a recording made and you move on with the business of making music.

I'm not saying that you should not try to learn to make your own recordings, just that it is a more complex and time consuming process than you realize and that if -I- had a band and was ready to do live shows the last way that I would want to waste my time would be in trying to learn a new discipline.

Meanwhile, if you do as I suggest, you get a chance to look over the shoulder of someone who is already doing what you want to do, so along with getting the recording done and in the street in a timely fashion you also get lessons.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I agree with Bill.

What is your priority? To be a great band, or to make a great recording? You very likely do not have the time and energy for both.

Pick one and focus on that.
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

I want to make my own record. I don't have any shows booked or anything. Like the problem with everyone leaving has happened very recently. And the guy I would go to already has the plugins I have possibly more.

I just don't have that kind of cash flow anymore. Plus, he has the only affordable studio around here and he is 5 hours away from where I currently live.

I generally know how to setup my session and what to do. The main question for me was my main interface.

I know how to sample, drum align, track, set up mics, how to autotune using the graph, and other things I can't think of at the moment.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search