The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What to trust? Cheap monitors vs DT770
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

What to trust? Cheap monitors vs DT770

So I recently got my new 80ohm DT770 headphones, and I love them to death. Until recently, I've been relying on some cheap Fostex monitors for mixing. I sit here in a completely untreated room (even though it's filled with furniture), but acoustically I'm pretty sure it's far from even modestly good.

The DT770s certainly provide me with some more information in the low end, since I don't have a sub for my monitors, so I did a mix today. Long story short - in the phones it sounds like and ballsy, with lots of low end punch, but when listening on the monitors, frequencies are booming all over the place and it sounds like ****. Is this my room messing with me? Should I trust my phones more than my monitors? Or should it sound equally good on both?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Probably the room. If you're like me and don't want to bass-trapetize the space you live in, it's just down to constant cross-referencing on different systems as much as possible to get a feel for it.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

You're in a bad monitoring situation overall, so my suggestion would be to trust the DT770's more, but verify against your monitors and other environments. Take your mix out to your car and play it there, or try it on a stereo up in the living room.

Ideally, a single great monitoring environment would enable you to identify issues that will affect all listening environments at once - but that's not what you have. So go back to the basics, and learn how your room sound and your headphones, in conjunction with each other, combine to give you a picture of what your mixes sound like in other environments. As you make these comparisons, you'll also probably get to understand exactly how your room sounds, and that will tell you what room adjustments might be useful.

Even if you had a great room, understanding how a mix translates is a learning process. You never get an ideal monitoring environment. You only get one that you understand better.
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Compare your mix to other professional productions. Do they sound boomy on your monitors?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Do a search on acoustics, monitors vs. headphones and mix translation. this is a common issue and well documented.
Old 15th September 2011
I experienced the same thing with my DT770s. As Nervrem suggested, you should really compare your mix to other commercial/professional ones.

When I did, I realized that I misinterpreted the bass on the cans. I turned kicks and low frequency stuff up...and up...and further up - the more bass the more the track was rocking - until I had completely lost the frequency balance. It still sounded good on the DT770s, but NOT on my nearfields and definitely too exaggerated in comparison to other productions.
Old 24th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dores View Post
So I recently got my new 80ohm DT770 headphones, and I love them to death. Until recently, I've been relying on some cheap Fostex monitors for mixing. I sit here in a completely untreated room (even though it's filled with furniture), but acoustically I'm pretty sure it's far from even modestly good.

The DT770s certainly provide me with some more information in the low end, since I don't have a sub for my monitors, so I did a mix today. Long story short - in the phones it sounds like and ballsy, with lots of low end punch, but when listening on the monitors, frequencies are booming all over the place and it sounds like ****. Is this my room messing with me? Should I trust my phones more than my monitors? Or should it sound equally good on both?
Those phones are great, I listen to them for color but do not judge the low end by them, high? yes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search