The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for appropriate mic's for small setup. Condenser Microphones
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Looking for appropriate mic's for small setup.

Hello!
I am on a limited budget and looking to buy two microphones, one for an acoustic guitar and one for vocals. They will be running through a Duet 2 into my iMac. I'm going for a laid back soft sound, ala Amos Lee or Jack Johnson. The vocals will be soft, but poignant and the focus for the music. Just looking for some recommendations. The budget is 800 dollars.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Do you want to record everything in one take?

If yes, two figure eights work really well to separate guitar and vocals.

If not, I'd recommend a pair of mics on the guitar - spaced pair, XY, or whatever. Stereo mic techniques give you a subtle sense of space. XY gives a narrower image, like you're sitting in a room in front of a guitarist. Spaced pair is wider, like your sitting inside the guitar.

(1) In saying that, my first choice with your budget might be just a single AEA R84 or a second hand Royer 121. These mics can be lusciously smooth and sweet. Get one on trial if you can. Save up for a second. Quality over quantity.

(2) ADK A6 for acoustic. ADK Hamburg for vocals.

The A6 is a neutral, accurate mic which doesn't hype anything. You might find that's all you need for vocals too. However, the Hamburg has a slightly mellow sound which could be more what you're looking for. You might even prefer that on guitar.

(3) SM58 for vocals and either a pair of A6 or Oktava Mk012 for guitar (recorded separately).

SM58: cheap but it might just hit it off with your voice. Always worth checking out.

The Oktava is another great acoustic mic. I kind of like the hypercardioid best but I'm not sure if it makes a big difference.

Lots of options. These are just some to think about. I could be totally wrong recommending some mellow-sounding mics even if that is the sound you're chasing. It could be there's enough mellow already in your voice and you'll actually sound better with a slightly bright mic. If you've already got two sugars in your coffee, you don't want to add any more.

You'd better look into room treatment as well, if you haven't already. You can often get by in a bad room if you get in close with the mics, but it's not ideal.
Old 15th September 2011

It very much depends on your specifics (what type of guitar? acoustics in the recording space? your particular voice....).

The one mic that is interesting from a value standpoint right now is the CAD e100s. They can be had for under $450 new right now. That would be an good one for a lot of acoustic guitar recording.

For vocals, the HM-7u is worth a try, as are some dynamics like the SM7, PR-30, and MD431. Of course, sometimes the $100 v67g or the AT2020 sound great on a particular voice....

-tINY

Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you can find a genuine Russian pair of Oktava 012's, they have a relatively smooth sound, work pretty well on almost anything, including vox and gtr., would allow you to stereo mic if you wanted to, and should cost much less than $800. Also, they accept omni caps, which sound great, and can be modded to be quieter and sound even better. Needless to say, there are many, many other options in your price range.
Just for example, one cool pair would be a Beyer 160 and EV RE-20.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Have you searched the forums? Lots of good suggestions await you heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search