The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stereo pair Mic's Condenser Microphones
Old 14th September 2011
Stereo pair Mic's

I am in need of a stereo pair for "everything", guitars. Field recording, flute, vocals etc etc.

I've been looking at Oktava MK-012 and Sontronics-stc-1s, any other good options maybe in that pricerange? Please help
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Oktavas are a great choice.
Old 15th September 2011
Should I get someone with different capsules?
Old 15th September 2011
If you can stretch your budget to $675 a pair of peluso cemc6 are pretty good.
Also dont be afraid to buy used, you find a used pair of akg c451b or some earthworks mic's used.
Old 15th September 2011
what earthworks mic's where you thinking about? havent heard any of them the reason i mentioned the ones i did is because ive tried them both, but i wanna hear what you guys think.
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

I've got a sexy pair of Røde NT5s which do great, you'd want the NT55s though which have all the switches on the mics
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Low Budget: pair of Studio Projects B3. They are multipattern plus pad and are on the neutral side, just a tad brighter than neutral.

Mid Budget: AT4050 or Shure KSM44. Again, multipattern. Some think the KSM's are more exciting.

Large Budget: AKG 414's, Neumann TLM193, or TLM170 (GrandeBudget). The 193's aren't multipattern unfortunately.

Go mid/large diaphragm. If you want SDC, the folks above mentioned Oktava's...+1. Also, SM81s will do the trick.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

It sounds like you want a matched pair of SD condensers. You can't go wrong with the Oktave 012s (try some of the various mods and they can be stunning).

I also own several older AKG C451Es (the kind with the diverse capsule set like the Oktavas) and love them to death. They can be had for around $200-$250 with a CM1 capsule (cardioid). The hard thing (or very expensive thing) to find is the inline pads. Great mics though. I also have a Rode NT4 (basicly two NT5s set @ 90 degrees in a single body). I have used it for drum overheads with great results.

Have you considered MS stereo recording? this requires two DIFFERENT mics (a figure 8 and a cardioid). I have used this technique on several sources (solo piano, strings and acoustic guitar) with great results.

Just some thoughts.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

For an inexpensive "everything" mic, I'd immediately think of a pair of ADK A6. I like the Oktavas too. They're definitely great on acoustic guitar but I haven't heard them on much else.
Old 15th September 2011

A pair of CAD M179 is pretty versatile - they sound good, and they are inexpensive....

-tINY

Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

A pair of CAD M179 is pretty versatile - they sound good, and they are inexpensive....

-tINY
+1 for the M179. They're multi pattern LDCs that sound GREAT for the money. Not hyped but really natural (so they take well to what ever EQ you want to throw at them).

If you're looking fpr LDCs, you've got to spend a lot more money to top the M 179s.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

AKG 214s anybody?

414's would be killer, but for half the price. Same thing, less patterns
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I find 414s to be a bit too smooth as room mics. They sort of soften some of the transient bite of acoustic instruments. though I can see why a lot of people like that...

I'd go Oktava if I were you.

If you start with a pair of Omni MK012s, you can always buy different capsules later. I think there's even a Fig 8 capsule compatible with that range, so you could branch out into Mid-Side recordings at a later date.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Though, seeing as you're in Norway, these guys aren't too far away from you:

LINE AUDIO DESIGN

Never used them, but their cardioid SDCs are very highly regarded. And very reasonable.

Equally, you could even go for one of their stereo mics. They look very tempting.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

a million recommendations.... and YET one more....

A Pair of Beesneez Lulu's are purdy.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Definitely check the Line Audio CM3. You will keep those mics throughout your carreer, unlike most Chinese mics. PM me if you'd like some samples, I just got some acoustic guitar recordings and I also have links to Piano recording and some other stuff done with CM3's (now also SM3i's thanks to Shannon Lyon, thanks mate).
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Microtech Gefell 930 ; very small LDC, great sound
Old 16th September 2011
I have used the sr30's(=sr77) alot and they would sound really nice for your application's. Although they are pricey, you may be able to find a good deal on the other models. Live tapers love em. Below is what I have heard and read.

Cardiods (very omni like)

sr30(sr77) = super detailed realistic flat sound at any dynamic level
sr25(sr71) = included in drum kit, similar to 30's but tad noisy at low volumes.
sr20(sr69) = great on loud stuff but noisy(hiss) on soft stuff like a classical guitar, flute might be o.k.

Omni's (pick up a lot of bleed)

I could be wrong but thats what I learned about earthworks mic.
Old 17th September 2011

All the earthworks mics are a bit noisy. It's equivalent to less than 26dBA, so for most situations it's not a practical problem (just for really quiet instruments in large, very quiet spaces).

There were 2 types of 20KHz, cardioid and hyper cardioid. I think the omni's were available in 30 and 40KHz. That was in the beginning - they added and subtracted over the years...

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search